Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Disney Introduces its first black princess in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; What nationality is Pocohantas? BTW we spent a ton of time w/her today at Rafiki's Planet Watch (though she was played by a white girl with a slight tan, but ...
    HomeofLove4Him is offline E-Ticket Holder
    What nationality is Pocohantas?

BTW we spent a ton of time w/her today at Rafiki's Planet Watch (though she was played by a white girl with a slight tan, but nevermind...) It was nice that the kids got to spend so much time with her (I think we bumped into her about 3 times, each of which she spent some good time talking and asking us questions).

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Attitude Tink View Post
    they still need a hispanic princess

I totally agree as soon as I saw they were going to add Princess Maddy I said now our Latin Sista's need to be inculded. Time will surely tell.

Also techinally spelling Jasmine is Morracan and if you look on a map Morroco is in North Africa so she techically African. So if you wanted to really nit pick we always had a Princess of color just not all the way black LOL oh well
    Last edited by JEDIPRINCESS; 03-19-2007 at 10:37 AM.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Except that Jasmine is NOT moroccan, she is Arabian. She just shows up in Morocco at Epcot because they don't know where else to put her!
    They call me "Nana"

Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie View Post
    Except that Jasmine is NOT moroccan, she is Arabian. She just shows up in Morocco at Epcot because they don't know where else to put her!

But I thought the story came from North Africa?

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Arabian nights, like Arabian days...............
    They call me "Nana"

Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie View Post
    Arabian nights, like Arabian days...............

Okay just goggle it apparently Aladdin has a Syrian origin go figure once again trying to keep the black man down

MiraNova23 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeofLove4Him View Post
    What nationality is Pocohantas?
    She's Native American. Is that still considered "of color?" I really don't know. But the movie came out when I was in 3rd grade, and I believe I remember finding that she was Lenape, but I'm not entirely sure. Wikipedia would probably know best ^^
    My
    (If I'm here, then I'm probably supposed to be animating instead.)

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraNova23 View Post
    She's Native American. Is that still considered "of color?" I really don't know. But the movie came out when I was in 3rd grade, and I believe I remember finding that she was Lenape, but I'm not entirely sure. Wikipedia would probably know best ^^
    Historically speaking, Pocahontas is Powhatan...not Lenape. The Lenape were/are further north of the area surrounding Jamestown, VA.

Regarding if she is considered "of color" is a matter what definitions of race/ethnicity do you want to apply... I do know we've have the discussions on whether she's a princess or not, but that's in another thread.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    The Thousand and One Arabian Nights are a hodge-podge of folklore gathered from around the Middle East, North Africa, and Central Asia (in the "original" version of the story, Aladdin was a poor Chinese boy. Go figure). By the way, if you MapQuest "Agrabah," nuthin' there (trust me, I looked a long time ago).

I'm probably gettin' too far into this one, but please don't forget that "Africa" doesn't necessarily equal "Black Africa." The Arab nations along the north coast just fall into that category I mentioned earlier (startin' to regret that one.....).

Kinda funny, although a bit demusing story of a guy I used to work with who was born and raised as a third generation citizen of South Africa, spoke fluent Afrikaans, and also happened to be as white as Elmer's glue. After his naturalization in the States, he identified himself once in paperwork as "African-American" among the choices when they requested he provide his ethnicity. The papers were promptly kicked back at him. Niiiiiiiiiice.

And yeah, Native Americans are considered "people of color," for what it's worth.
    Last edited by Conceited Ape; 03-20-2007 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Typos.......why'd it HAVE to be typos?

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape View Post
    The Thousand and One Arabian Nights are a hodge-podge of folklore gathered from around the Middle East, North Africa, and Central Asia (in the "original" version of the story, Aladdin was a poor Chinese boy. Go figure). By the way, if you MapQuest "Agrabah," nuthin' there (trust me, I looked a long time ago).

I'm probably gettin' too far into this one, but please don't forget that "Africa" doesn't necessarily equal "Black Africa." The Arab nations along the north coast just fall into that category I mentioned earlier (startin' to regret that one.....).

Kinda funny, although a bit demusing story of a guy I used to work with who was born and raised as a third generation citizen of South Africa, spoke fluent Afrikaans, and also happened to be as white as Elmer's glue. After his naturalization in the States, he identified himself once in paperwork as "African-American" among the choices when they requested he provide his ethnicity. The papers were promptly kicked back at him. Niiiiiiiiiice.

And yeah, Native Americans are considered "people of color," for what it's worth.
    That is funny that you said that...my seventh grade teacher was from Africa, and yes, her skin was as white as white could be. She was born and raised in Africa, and then came here. Nobody believed her when she said that shw was African American.

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

nicks_ahoy is offline Jungle VIP
    It's also going to be hand drawn

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by nicks_ahoy View Post
    It's also going to be hand drawn
    That's interesting. I hadn't heard that. Where'd you read that bit of information?
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

FLuTE_DiSnEy_28 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I think that it is a great idea that they r finally doing this, it will make everyone feel like they can b a princess!
    All it takes is a little Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust!

FLuTE_DiSnEy_28 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Everyone should always have that feeling tho that they can b a disney princess
    All it takes is a little Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust!

Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder

Post Disney's `Frog Princess' no dream come true

From Charlotte.com (The Charlotte Observer):
    =================================================
    Disney's `Frog Princess' no dream come true
    Long lack of black princesses over, but it's not a fairy-tale ending

WILLIAM BLACKBURN
    Special to the Observer

Recently the Walt Disney Co. announced it has started production on a film featuring a new animated princess named Maddy. After some 80 years creating a collection of princesses that have represented Middle Eastern, American Indian and Chinese cultures, Disney finally has seen fit to develop an African American princess.

This endeavor may seem like a long-overdue step in the right direction, but Disney should be ashamed of what it is trying to pass off as its first black princess.
    =================================================
    For the full story: http://charlotte.com/409/story/72272.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast