Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Old Disney Movies You've Just Discovered in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by 3IAlienKid So I've been Tivo'ing some of the Disney live-action films from TCM this month (see 10/13/08 post for schedule) that I've never seen before, and I ...
    mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3IAlienKid View Post
    So I've been Tivo'ing some of the Disney live-action films from TCM this month (see 10/13/08 post for schedule) that I've never seen before, and I finally sat down to watch the first, which was Treasure Island. Wow, I was really surprised by how much I was entertained by this one. Never read the book so I've nothing to compare it to, but the film moved along at a nice pace, the characters were all well written, and there were very good performances especially of course by Robert Newton as villain Long John Silver. It was nice to see Long John had some complexity rather than being just a 2 dimensional baddie, and I enjoyed his relationship w/ Jim Hawkins.
    I haven't watched that one yet, but I did watch the documentary on live-action movies. I've actually watched it twice. They talked about Treasure Island and how British child labor laws prevented Disney from filming with Bobby Driscoll over a certain number of days, so they shot all the close-ups in a very short period of time, and then filled in the rest with a double.
    I have several movies I've taped. Now I have to go back and catch up before the next batch gets taped on Sunday.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

3IAlienKid is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Saw the 2 Kurt Russell superpowers movies The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes and its 2nd sequel The Strongest Man in the World, again part of the TCM series this month. Theyíre about what I expected, pretty goofy fun, though I wouldnít necessarily recommend them unless youíre a Kurt Russell or die-hard Disney fan. I laughed more during Strongest Man. Itís too bad they didnít show sequel #1 Now You See Him, Now You Donít Ė Iíd be interested. I really like Kurt Russell, heís always seemed fond of his early Disney days, and I believe heís received the Disney Legends award. I havenít yet seen the Age of Believing documentary which he is in, but I loved reading his comments in the book ďRemembering Walt.Ē Heís very frank, and you can tell heís never afraid to p*** off anyone.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Just saw Son of Flubber. It's a typical sequel that features more laughs, thrills, action, etc., than the original, but there is less of a story. Actually there were several storylines pieced together, and I felt like they did not resolve the more important ones. On the other hand, I laughed more, especially during the football sequence as compared to the original film's basketball scenes. My impression of Tommy Kirk has been formed more by his dramatic scenes from Old Yeller, but he gives an energetic comedic performance here.

I finally caught up with the Kurt Russell movies as well. I think I now know why I never saw them the first time around, but at least I've enriched my movie watching with some vintage Disney. I did enjoy the basketball scenes in The Absentminded Professor.

bsilversunshine is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Back in one of my trips to disney world i saw The Snowball Express and Song of the South at the Chip and Dale Campfire sing a long. I have never been able to find either one of these movies but are great classics. That little outdoor theater has so many great memories to me, my family and i almost always stayed at fort wilderness and at least saw 2 movies every time we went down.

posted by mini-V
    I finally caught up with the Kurt Russell movies as well. I think I now know why I never saw them the first time around, but at least I've enriched my movie watching with some vintage Disney. I did enjoy the basketball scenes in The Absentminded Professor.
    Yeah, I probably would have liked them more as a kid, they definitely were not well made. Also, I think a lot of these films are seriously dated, especially the humor. I mean, Absent Minded Prof was such a huge hit in it's day, but it hasn't aged well. I thought the film was OK myself, but I believe I only enjoyed it because I had only a 50's - 60's B-movie expectation.
    posted by bsilversunshine
    Back in one of my trips to disney world i saw The Snowball Express and Song of the South at the Chip and Dale Campfire sing a long.
    That's really cool, I've always wanted to visit the campfire movie thing.

I saw The Apple Dumpling Gang and The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again earlier this week. I liked the first, the second was just OK. I guess they felt the main reason for the first film's popularity were the supporting characters played by Knotts and Conway, because no other character from the first showed up in the second. It's easy to see why the pair did other films together later on, they were admittedly very funny, especially an extended sequence involving a ladder in a fire station. But the Bill Bixby character's reactions to the 3 kids and to Susan Clark were really the heart of the first film. In the sequel, Knotts and Conway went from subplot to top billing, so the comedy was supposed to be the focus, and I think that was too much weight to put on characters originally conceived to be merely comic relief.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    Wow this thread is awesome. It has really made me miss the Sunday night family time we had watching some of these on the Wonderful World of Disney! It has also inspired me to start a Wonderful World of Disney night of our own! Since i'm off every week on Sunday night I'm gonna start getting one of these classics every week to watch with my girls! Thanks everyone!
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

I watched The Shaggy Dog yesterday. I actually saw this as a kid, but haven't viewed it since. I think this version is hands down better than the remake with Tim Allen. I prefer the original storyline and the original cast. I had had to do an Internet search to see what happened to Roberta Shore. I had to laugh at how much she reminds me of Angelina Jolie. In the old Mousketeers, she was a nemeses of Annette Funicello and it's fun to see the same actors playing that type roll again.

On a side note, the previews to a movie I saw on Saturday included a new nature movie that is coming out on Earth Day. THAT really reminded me how much I used to enjoy the Disney nature programs of my childhood.
    Last edited by mini-V; 12-29-2008 at 03:02 PM.

PulchraPuella is offline A-Ticket holder
    My sister and I used to watch this movie all the time when we were little. It's called Mother Goose Rock Rock N' Rhyme. You can find it on you tube.

PulchraPuella is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by cleenbean21
    I hope I did this right but neways I have a question maybe someone can help me. I need the title to a disney movie but I only know some parts of the movie like I know it was a nursery rhyme movie with zz tops as the 3 men in the tub and I think Martin Short was in it too. It was really cute and I saw it as a child so it was out in the 1990's. It might have had hip hop in it some where like hip hop nursey rhymes or something. Also if anyone knows where it get it too? .
    The movie is called Mother Goose Rock N' Rhyme. You can find it on You Tube. My sister and I used to watch it all the time when we were little.
    Last edited by PulchraPuella; 12-29-2008 at 05:45 PM.

Itís getting ridiculous how many posts Iíve made to this thread. But I admit Iíve been really excited about all the movies I Tivoíd last month from TCM, so Iíve been watching them as Iíve had the time.

Saw The Worldís Greatest Athlete with Tim Conway and Jan-Michael Vincent. It was fun, but kind of a strange movie due to a supernatural subplot that seemed initially out of place. The nice surprise of the casting was John Amos (who I remember most as Eddie Murphyís eventual father-in-law in Coming To America). He was the Don Knotts of this film, trying to stay serious, but making bumbling mistakes. The story was written from his perspective so he actually had the most screen time in spite of being 3rd billed. If you can stomach some of the racial stereotypes, itís a cute film. Also, it's amazing to realize that's actually Jan-Michael Vincent literally wrestling with his pet tiger in not just one but two scenes.

Also watched The Shaggy D.A. I didnít realize the Dean Jones character was the same one played by Tommy Kirk in the first film. Like Greatest Athlete, this was another silly and dumb but cute film from the 70ís that I enjoyed (probably in part because of the nostalgia I have for the decade when I was a kid) and will never watch again.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    We watched "The Swiss Family Robinson" Sunday night during our first self made Wonderful World of Disney night! It was a great movie, although I found the youngest son annoying and spoiled. I think I'll hit Blockbuster for Escape to Witch Mountain for this Sunday.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Return from Witch Mountain. Not as good as the Escape to Witch Mountain. Escape was a fun little chase movie, this one is about [SPOILER] a kidnapping featuring Tony, one of the siblings, brainwashed by the baddies. This made it a bit darker and frankly boring as the character was a robot for most of his screen time. The relationship between Tony and Tia are part of what gave the first film it's charm, but here they are usually separated. As a side note, it was nice to see Jack Soo's final film role, notably one not dependent or based on his ethnicity. Looking forward to the reboot of this franchise, the trailer looks like it might be fun.

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.
    The Best Buy store near me has a good selection of older Disney movies. I found "Charlie the Lonesome Cougar" and most of the live action stuff with Don Knotts & Tim Conway last year. They also had "Davey Crockett" and the Witch Mountain movies a couple weeks ago.

I wish I could find "Song of the South" but I understand it's out of print.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast