Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Old Disney Movies You've Just Discovered in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad We watched "The Swiss Family Robinson" Sunday night during our first self made Wonderful World of Disney night! It was a great movie, although I found ...
    Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    We watched "The Swiss Family Robinson" Sunday night during our first self made Wonderful World of Disney night! It was a great movie, although I found the youngest son annoying and spoiled. I think I'll hit Blockbuster for Escape to Witch Mountain for this Sunday.
    The Wonderful World of Disney night is a great idea! While I was off work during the holidays, we watched the old TV shows that are on the "Your Host- Walt Disney" DVD set in the evenings. I'll hunt down a few more shows for Friday nights.

bsilversunshine is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Serkazong View Post
    I wish I could find "Song of the South" but I understand it's out of print.
    To my understanding, please correct me if i'm wrong, Song of the South was never released on VHS/DVD, i'm not sure why but disney does so wierd things. I believe you can get the "sequal" So Dear to My heart, even tho its no where near as good as the first one

Quote Originally Posted by bsilversunshine View Post
    To my understanding, please correct me if i'm wrong, Song of the South was never released on VHS/DVD, i'm not sure why but disney does so wierd things. I believe you can get the "sequal" So Dear to My heart, even tho its no where near as good as the first one
    Well, I did a search and..........We're both right.

I found this
    Song of the south DVD - Walt Disney Classic movie on dvd

"This is the Original 1946 Walt Disney Classic Song of the South on DVD, rare, hard to find and out of print! It is complete, uncut, uncensored, and digitally remastered, in English only, with no subtitles!"

It would appear that it was never officially released on DVD or VHS, but was released on laser disc, then transfered to DVD. It doesn't look like Disney has anything to do with this however.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Serkazong; 01-09-2009 at 09:02 PM.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    Well, I did a search and..........We're both right.

I found this
    Song of the south DVD - Walt Disney Classic movie on dvd

"This is the Original 1946 Walt Disney Classic Song of the South on DVD, rare, hard to find and out of print! It is complete, uncut, uncensored, and digitally remastered, in English only, with no subtitles!"

It would appear that it was never officially released on DVD or VHS, but was released on laser disc, then transfered to DVD. It doesn't look like Disney has anything to do with this however.
    I remember seeing Song of the South at an end of the year assembly in grade school! Man how times have changed. I know the VHS version was released in the UK and Europe. I know a few of them pop up on eBay every now and again. I may sink $15 into this and pick one up. No harm I guess is he takes Paypal.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    I remember seeing Song of the South at an end of the year assembly in grade school! Man how times have changed. I know the VHS version was released in the UK and Europe. I know a few of them pop up on eBay every now and again. I may sink $15 into this and pick one up. No harm I guess is he takes Paypal.
    If you decide to try him out, let me know the outcome if you would.

Went to Best Buy again last weekend and purchased "The Black Hole" which I'd nearly forgot. They also had a lot of the older Kurt Russel stuff.

Was also impressed by the selection at Barnes & Noble
    Last edited by Serkazong; 01-14-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: spellin'

Oh yeah................Barnes & Noble also had "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" on DVD. Some of you may have known about this movie, but I'd never heard of it. It was a live action film and the cast includes several of the Monty Python crew. I didn't buy it (opted for the Disney Collectibles Guide Vol. 2 instead), but it looked interesting.

LisaAnn is offline C-Ticket Holder
    We were at Best Buy a few weeks ago, and my dad rediscovered "Snowball Express" on DVD....he insisted on buying it, and we watched it, and it was actually a really good movie! It was funny!
    ~Lisa~
    DCP Fall 2012: Strollers/Main Entrance Merchandise, Magic Kingdom
    Vacations to WDW: 20
    Vacations to DL: 2

3IAlienKid is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I finally saw the last 3 of the Disney live-action films I Tivo'd off TCM last December, the Herbie sequels. I'm not really a big fan of The Love Bug, but I watched these 3 films because Herbie is such a popular character from the post-Walt pre-Eisner era.

I liked Herbie Rides Again a bit better than Love Bug. It doesn’t even feature a car race, but I guess I just like Ken Berry and Stephanie Powers together. And of all Keenan Wynn's performances as Alonzo Hawk I like this the best -- he gets louder and more over-the-top with age.

Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo is the least of the 4 Herbie films for me. The idea of Herbie falling in love seems cute enough, plus there’s a funny supporting performance by someone named Xavier Saint Macary as an overeager inexperienced but sharp detective. But Dean Jones' character is watered down and the female driver/ love interest was a bit irritating. Plus, while Don Knotts’ sidekick was an OK replacement, I missed Buddy Hackett's eastern mystic mechanic from the first film.

I don’t remember much of Herbie Goes Bananas from the first time I saw it in the theater as a kid so I did Tivo this one also. Again, no actual car race, but I liked it better than Love Bug, probably because I laughed a lot at Harvey Korman and Cloris Leachman. OK, I also have to admit I think Elyssa Davalos is so beautiful and quite natural as the bookish anthropology doctoral candidate I would watch it again just for her scenes. She was also the female lead in Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaAnn View Post
    We were at Best Buy a few weeks ago, and my dad rediscovered "Snowball Express" on DVD....he insisted on buying it, and we watched it, and it was actually a really good movie! It was funny!
    I'll have to check this out. Don't know anything about it.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

stitchythepooh is offline A-Ticket holder
    I remember watching a lot of the old movies you mentioned when I was little, brought back a lot of good memories. Oh, and yeah, I agree with whoever said the youngest son on Swiss Family Robinson was a brat...anywho, one of my favorite live action movies from Disney is The North Avenue Irregulars. I had taped it from off of one of the movie channels years ago, a friend of mine borrowed it, fell in love with it, kept borrowing it, until I told her to keep it. Now that you guys have me reminiscing, I'm going to have to go to Amazon and see if it's out on DVD yet.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    We just recently watched Escape to Witch Mountain. The kids weren't really into it since it started kinda slow but once the Alien kids started using their powers they were glued. I think up on our "Wonderful World of Disney" Family night will be Blackbeard's Ghost.
    I just joined the Disney Movie Club and picked up The Black Hole, Robin Hood and The Great Mouse Detective, which is one of my favorites.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I'm finally getting around to watching the movies I recorded during December. I watched "The Black Hole" this weekend. At first I was impressed with the wire work that went into making the actors move around the space craft in zero gravity, but it wasn't long before I started to see the "tug" on their costumes. Because it was put out about the same time as Star Wars, it rather got dwarfed by the Star War craze, but it was OK. I'm not a big sci-fie fan, so I sat through it to "widen my horizons". The robots reminded me of playskool characters
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

I haven't looked very hard, but has anyone seen any of the True Life Adventures films on DVD?

Teleclashter is offline A-Ticket holder
    I haven't looked very hard, but has anyone seen any of the True Life Adventures films on DVD?

They were released a few years ago in four volumes. Amazon still has copies of volumes 2 and 3 for 24.99 but 1 and 4 are all gone except for new and used copies at higher prices.

3IAlienKid is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Old Disney Movies You've Just Discovered

Just saw Never Cry Wolf for the first time. Breathtaking cinematography, intriguing story, great performance by Charles Martin Smith where he's the only human onscreen for half the film. I will definitely be watching it again. One of the best of the post-Walt pre-Eisner era.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast