Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Old Disney Movies You've Just Discovered in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Way back in the olden days; i.e. before video and DVD and Blueray, the only way to catch a Disney flick was at the local theatre. Full length features were ...
    mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

Old Disney Movies You've Just Discovered

Way back in the olden days; i.e. before video and DVD and Blueray, the only way to catch a Disney flick was at the local theatre. Full length features were rarely on television either, so we missed a lot of movies when they first came out. I'm making a concerted effort to go back and fill-in the gaps in my Disney Movie Education.

This weekend, I watched "Greyfriars Bobby". What a great movie! I'm just sorry I missed seeing the statue in Edinburgh that relates to this true story.

A short synopsis: A small dog follows his ailing master into Edinburgh from a sheep farm about 20 miles outside the city. When the dog is left without an owner, the local magistrates attempt to have the dog put down. Two Scots and the local children have to figure out how to save the dog figure out who will be responsible for the dog.

Have you recently discovered an old Disney movie?
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    I have already seen most of them, but some of them I discovered on Vault Disney when it was the Disney Channel late night. I wish they would bring it back!

The Hallmark Movie Channel has been running a lot of Disney films from the 1960's and 1970's lately. Some of those include: The Cat From Outer Space, Escape to Witch Mountain, the Herbie films, The Parent Trap (1961) and many others.

I wish that ABC Family or the Disney Channel would run Vault Disney after midnight. Even if you can't stay awake to watch, you can always record the programs!
    Lisa

"No capes!"

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I just bought and watched "Follow Me, Boys!" with Fred MacMurray. He is a musician who suddenly gets tired of the road and stops in a small town deciding to stay. In order to win a young lady's heart, he suggests starting up a boy scout troup. They are successful and decades later it ends with a heartwarming little dedication. It had Kurt Russell in it also. Not a bad movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs View Post
    I just bought and watched "Follow Me, Boys!" with Fred MacMurray. He is a musician who suddenly gets tired of the road and stops in a small town deciding to stay. In order to win a young lady's heart, he suggests starting up a boy scout troup. They are successful and decades later it ends with a heartwarming little dedication. It had Kurt Russell in it also. Not a bad movie.
    I rented this one recently. I thought it was pretty good too. Another movie based on a true story.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    Way back in the olden days; i.e. before video and DVD and Blueray, the only way to catch a Disney flick was at the local theatre. Full length features were rarely on television either, so we missed a lot of movies when they first came out. I'm making a concerted effort to go back and fill-in the gaps in my Disney Movie Education.

This weekend, I watched "Greyfriars Bobby". What a great movie! I'm just sorry I missed seeing the statue in Edinburgh that relates to this true story.

A short synopsis: A small dog follows his ailing master into Edinburgh from a sheep farm about 20 miles outside the city. When the dog is left without an owner, the local magistrates attempt to have the dog put down. Two Scots and the local children have to figure out how to save the dog figure out who will be responsible for the dog.

Have you recently discovered an old Disney movie?
    I can't believe you mentioned this movie, I saw this movie when I was very young and I never forgot it but I never knew the name. I remember how upset I was when the dog was all alone. It was so sad. Didn't his master die in this movie was he up on the bed with him, maybe I'm getting 2 movies confused. Was the dog a yorkie? Disney had quite a few sad animal movies, Ole Yeller was another one.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by GIOny View Post
    I can't believe you mentioned this movie, I saw this movie when I was very young and I never forgot it but I never knew the name. I remember how upset I was when the dog was all alone. It was so sad. Didn't his master die in this movie was he up on the bed with him, maybe I'm getting 2 movies confused. Was the dog a yorkie? Disney had quite a few sad animal movies, Ole Yeller was another one.
    You're thinking of the same movie. (I didn't mention the particulars on the shepard because I didn't want to give too much of the plot away.) I wasn't sure of the bred of the dog. Sounds like you would enjoy watching it again.

redheadbrown is offline Annual Passholder
    Follow me boys is a wonderful film. I like all the Fred MacMurray movies. Also the Kurt Russel films are good.
    -Zac

Minnie_Mouse007 is offline "Laughter is America's most important export."-Walt Disney
    The Apple Dumpling Gang is one of the best live-action Disney movies. My Dad and I have our monthly Old Disney movie nights in which we've watched TONS of old Disney movies. Some are classics and some are the unrecognized. We recently just watched the first version of Flubber. I don't exactly remember the name though.
    ~Elyse
    GO KNIGHTS!
    I'm a baby Knight! UCF '13

redheadbrown is offline Annual Passholder
    It is called The Absent-Minded Proffeser.
    -Zac

This week I had a chance to view Vintage Mickey. I think I may have seen some of these cartoons many, many years, ago, but for the most part, they did not seem familiar. The real treat in viewing this DVD was to see how Mickey and Minnie evolved from Steamboat Willie; in looks, sound and character. It was really interesting to watch how the artwork changed as well.

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnie_Mouse007 View Post
    The Apple Dumpling Gang is one of the best live-action Disney movies. My Dad and I have our monthly Old Disney movie nights in which we've watched TONS of old Disney movies. Some are classics and some are the unrecognized. We recently just watched the first version of Flubber. I don't exactly remember the name though.
    Apple Dumpling Gang

Bring your own rope to your own hanging....man that was funny!!!!
    Last edited by Tmntrans; 04-03-2008 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spell

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    You're thinking of the same movie. (I didn't mention the particulars on the shepard because I didn't want to give too much of the plot away.) I wasn't sure of the bred of the dog. Sounds like you would enjoy watching it again.
    I'll have to get the kleenex ready first

I'll have to get the kleenex ready first
    But it would be soooo worth the investment. I have to start looking for my next "old movie".

Mini_V I decided out of curiousty to look up Greyfriars Bobby, and I was surprised to see that it is a true story, there is even a statue of the dog in Scotland......Greyfriars Bobby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mini_V I decided out of curiousty to look up Greyfriars Bobby, and I was surprised to see that it is a true story, there is even a statue of the dog in Scotland......Greyfriars Bobby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yes, I noticed that at the end of the movie. I'm sorry I didn't look for the statue when we were in Edinburough in 2005.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast