Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Forgotten/Underappreciated Animated Films in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by Serkazong I have read that there was/is concern for the way the public may perceive the portrayal of the African American characters is the film. I am ...
    wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Quote Originally Posted by Serkazong View Post
    I have read that there was/is concern for the way the public may perceive the portrayal of the African American characters is the film. I am not certain if it has ever been released on home video but I remember the live action and annimation mix being on par with Mary Poppins.
    Song of the South has been released on home video in other countries, just not the USA. We have a bootleg copy from Japan.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

3IAlienKid is offline C-Ticket Holder
    The Fox and the Hound is probably my favorite of what I consider the under appreciated. I've read several reviews that said this is a mediocre effort, but I disagree. It certainly has some problems, but the story made this a risky venture for Disney as it was a big departure from everything they'd done to that point, including a decidedly un-Disney ending that just about kills me every time I watch it. It also contains several scenes of genuinely effective animation such as the dialogue-free sequence where Copper comes of age.

Honorable mentions include The Rescuers Down Under which is a great underdog tale with both clever and breath-taking animated scenes. I also really liked Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, and Melody Time, none of which seem to be very popular.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

s2brown is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by el strategista View Post
    Favorite underappreciated animated movie is The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The music is stunning.

My favorite underappreciated Disney movie is none other than . . . . you guessed it . . . . the original speeder bikes . . . . computer viruses . . . . hackers . . . .

Tron
    I recently bought this movie on DVD and watched it again. It had probably been 20 years since I have seen it. This movie was truely ahead of its time and still holds up today. I also bought The Black Hole and plan on watching that movie next.

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Quote Originally Posted by 3IAlienKid View Post
    The Fox and the Hound is probably my favorite of what I consider the under appreciated. I've read several reviews that said this is a mediocre effort, but I disagree. It certainly has some problems, but the story made this a risky venture for Disney as it was a big departure from everything they'd done to that point, including a decidedly un-Disney ending that just about kills me every time I watch it. It also contains several scenes of genuinely effective animation such as the dialogue-free sequence where Copper comes of age.

Honorable mentions include The Rescuers Down Under which is a great underdog tale with both clever and breath-taking animated scenes. I also really liked Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, and Melody Time, none of which seem to be very popular.
    I agree about The Fox and the Hound. DD loved this movie when she as younger and we watched it quite a few times. Did you know that Tim Burton worked on this film? He worked on Tod.

Hunchback & Hercules are among my favorites. I've only seen Melody Time a few times. I never really cared for Rescuers Down Under because I thought it was not kid friendly. I should probably re-watch it now that my kids are in their teens!
    Last edited by wdw4us2; 05-22-2008 at 12:59 PM.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

cheshire_cat_81 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I'm on the Tron Bandwagon too! I think that movie represents where Epcot Center was at its inception. Bleeding edge, way past leading edge. Some of us got it and some of us didn't...Still my favorite movie of all time. I remember they used the scene where Flynn enters the computer in one of the speed tunnels in World of Motion. That was awesome!

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Although, not a Disney film, these older movie's make me think of the song "Somewhere Out There", from An American Tail. I love that song.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Miss Neverland is offline A-Ticket holder
    I love Oliver and Company. I remember getting the video for one of my birthdays when I was little. The sequence for "once upon a time in new york city" always got me when the kittens were in a box sat on the street being sold and Oliver wasn't picked and then he had to find a place to shelter from the rain. The songs from that film i thought were really good like someone else has mentioned "why should i worry" and the song that went "we'll always be true company, you and me, together you'll see" when Penny is sat playing the piano and Oliver tries to play the piano with her.

Hercules was good and is always overlooked aswell. I really liked the look of that film-how underworld was created with all the dead bodies in the street and the songs-"zero to hero" and "don't say i'm in love". I really used to enjoy the mgm hercules parade.

Hunchback of Notre Dame-again overlooked. I don't know maybe people think the storyline is abit weak. I think i've come to appreciate this film more as I've got older. When i first saw it I liked it but that was it. I really like the songs from it now and maybe that was the reason why i didn't like it so much when it came out-i didn't understand the songs. 'God help the outcasts", "Out there", "Someday" are great songs.

3IAlienKid is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I probably said this on another post somewhere else, but I like Treasure Planet, and always felt it was a shame it didn't do better business. I think people automatically thought they were going to get another Atlantis type of story and just didn't bother going to the theater, but these two films couldn't be more different. While Treasure certainly had problems, it had heart which Atlantis couldn't manage to find. Eisner unjustly used Treasure as the scapegoat to shutter traditional 2D animation, thank goodness sensible heads now prevail.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Melody Time and The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad are two titles that spring to mind. If you've ever seen the short "Pecos Bill"; that came from Melody Time. The second movie is more obvious but unknown to many. The attraction Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was inspired by this film & the Ichabod portion has the headless horseman story. Both are excellent and I recommend them heartily.

StephlovesWDW is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Buffalo, New York- too far and too cold to be remotely considered anywhere near central Florida :(
    Song of the South is on DVD for $12.05

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Where?

Princess Sarah is offline Fastpass Holder
    Hunchback of Notre Dame and Newsies!
    You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore.
    -Randy Pausch

University of South Carolina '11
    We hail thee, Carolina...

Creambunni is offline It's a small world after all...
    The Three Caballeros,
    I love Donald, Panchito, Jose, Pablo, etc. It was a movie I learned to appreciate more with age.
    "It's a small world after all..."

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    Disney animated features that I think are underappreciated:

-Fantasia
    -Saludos Amigos
    -The 3 Caballeros
    -Make Mine Music
    -Fun and Fancy Free
    -Melody Time
    -The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
    -The Aristocats
    -Robin Hood
    -The Rescuers
    -The Fox and the Hound
    -The Black Cauldron
    -The Great Mouse Detective
    -Oliver and Company
    -The Rescuers Down Under
    -Pocahontas
    -The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    -Hercules
    -Mulan
    -Tarzan
    -Fantasia 2000
    -The Emperor's New Groove
    -Atlantis
    -Brother Bear
    -Home on the Range

allie cat is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I think "Snow White" is still the absolute classic of the genre, but the one that is most underappreciated is "Song of the South" a fantastic show with breakthrough technology for the time (can you believe 1946?) but a victim of political correctness and never released on video. Ho about "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad?" "The Fox and the Hound?" "Mickey's Magical Christmas?" "Bedknobs and Broomsticks?" "Pete's Dragon?"

This one isn't animated, but the first movie I ever saw, and one that never appears on the Disney lists, was "The World's Greatest Athlete" with Jan-Michael Vincent. anybody remember?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast