Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Forgotten/Underappreciated Animated Films in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Saturday night is movie and pizza night at our house. Our kids take turns picking the film to watch each weekend. Last Saturday, I asked the kids if they wanted ...
    wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House

Question Forgotten/Underappreciated Animated Films

Saturday night is movie and pizza night at our house. Our kids take turns picking the film to watch each weekend. Last Saturday, I asked the kids if they wanted to watch some of the older Disney animated movies that we haven't watched in a while and they agreed.

So, we watched The Great Mouse Detective. While DD (16) had seen the movie several times, DS (13) barely remembered it. What a great film! Good animation, excellent story and good voice actors along with a great Disney Villain - Fidget. We were remarking that there is absolutely no merchandise available from this film other than the occasional pin. Everyone enjoyed the movie and we plan on watching Sword and the Stone this weekend.

Do any of you have a favorite Disney animated film that you think is underappreciated? Tell us which one, why you like it and if you have any merchandise or collectibles from the movie.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I'd have to say Robin Hood (the Disney version) we use to watch that over and over again.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

LordQx4 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    As soon as I read this post the first 3 movies that popped into my head were The Rescuers, The Rescuers Down Under, Pete's Dragon. I used to watch these movies at my Aunts house as a kid and loved them. I dont know of any merchandise for these movies.
    Disney Stock Holder, D23 Member, DVC Member, AP Holder

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    I agree with the Rescuers Down Under. That was the movie that got me rehooked on Disney films.

Good animation, excellent story and good voice actors along with a great Disney Villain - Fidget.
    I thought the bad guy in The Great Mouse Detective was named Ratagin. Fidget was just the sidekick. Or do I have them backwards?

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Nice, some oldies and goodies. Thanks for the reminder of those, I need to locate them.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post

I thought the bad guy in The Great Mouse Detective was named Ratagin. Fidget was just the sidekick. Or do I have them backwards?
    Ratigan is the main villain and Fidget is one of his henchmen. DD and I actually got to see the costumed Ratigan at the This Is Love Event in the MK in 2004. That is the only time I remember seeing him in the park aside from when the movie first came out.

I like Fidget because he is funny and voiced by the great Disney voice actor Candy Candido. Aside from Fidget, he also voice one of Maleficent's Goons, the Indian Chief in Peter Pan, and was also in Herbie Rides Again.

We also watched some of the Disney Sing Along tapes from the 1990's after we watched The Great Mouse Detective. DD used to love those and watched them constantly. Ludwig Von Drake was in a few of those and I had forgotten how funny he is. They need to release a DVD with all of Ludwig's shorts on it!
    Lisa

"No capes!"

bug1990 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I have to say: Hercules, A Goofy Movie, and The Great Mouse Detective

Hercules and A Goofy Movie-Both had great soundtracks, and characters (goofy is always good).

The Great Mouse Detectives- Has always been one of my favorite movies. I watched it before a scholastic team meet, and at the meet, it helped me with a lot of sherlock holmes questions, so i love it all the more for that.
    bug1990

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Here's one I just remembered that I think most haven't heard of (maybe it really isn't a movie? I can't remember) But it's called "Fun (Fun, Fun?) and Fancy Free" and had a collection of short animated movies. There was Jack and the Beanstalk, something about a circus bear, and I think there was one other short, but can't remember it. Anyone remember this so called movie?

Fun and Fancy Free features two animated sequences - Mickey & the Beanstalk and Bongo (the bear).

DD has also informed me that we also have to watch Oliver & Company. She's been singing Why Should I Worry ever since we watched the Sing Along tape.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.
    I like:
    • "Atlantis".....(que sound of crickets chirping)

• "Charlie the Lonesome Cougar"- Found it on DVD @ Best Buy. I forgot all about it until seeing the cover. Rex Allen was the narrator and also voiced several other TV type films of the same era.

• Unsure of title but it was an annimated short about a little blue car named "Suzy". Anyone remember what it was called?

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Song of the South, or maybe its just under-exposed, especially when you consider the success of Splash Mountain.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Quote Originally Posted by Serkazong View Post
    I like:
    • "Atlantis".....(que sound of crickets chirping)
    • "Charlie the Lonesome Cougar"- Found it on DVD @ Best Buy. I forgot all about it until seeing the cover. Rex Allen was the narrator and also voiced several other TV type films of the same era.
    • Unsure of title but it was an annimated short about a little blue car named "Suzy". Anyone remember what it was called?
    You're thinking of Susie, the Little Blue Coupe from 1952. That is a great short and emotionally touching.

Did you know that the windshield/eyes designs of the vehicles in Cars were based on Susie?
    Lisa

"No capes!"

el strategista is offline A-Ticket holder
    Favorite underappreciated animated movie is The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The music is stunning.

My favorite underappreciated Disney movie is none other than . . . . you guessed it . . . . the original speeder bikes . . . . computer viruses . . . . hackers . . . .

Tron
    mee-skamoo-skamickey mouse

Quote Originally Posted by wdw4us2 View Post
    You're thinking of Susie, the Little Blue Coupe from 1952. That is a great short and emotionally touching.

Did you know that the windshield/eyes designs of the vehicles in Cars were based on Susie?

Thank you......I found a picture of "Suzie" and immediately made the connection to the Cars characters. I wonder if she'll be in the sequel?

Quote Originally Posted by nicks10 View Post
    Song of the South, or maybe its just under-exposed, especially when you consider the success of Splash Mountain.

I have read that there was/is concern for the way the public may perceive the portrayal of the African American characters is the film. I am not certain if it has ever been released on home video but I remember the live action and annimation mix being on par with Mary Poppins.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast