Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Two Ben or not two Ben? That is the question. in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I thought I would never be able to trust the movie reviews when Siskel died. Now that Ebert and Roeper have been replaced with two Bens (one of them younger ...
    iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!

Two Ben or not two Ben? That is the question.

I thought I would never be able to trust the movie reviews when Siskel died. Now that Ebert and Roeper have been replaced with two Bens (one of them younger than my own child) how on EARTH am I going to be able to trust their opinion?

(It never fails, that the movies considered "flops" are the ones I truly enjoy, while some of the "blockbusters" have left me wanting. Maybe I should just trust my own instincts.)
    They call me "Nana"

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    DH and I really like ROTTEN TOMATOES: Movies - New Movie Reviews and Previews! for movie reviews. What is nice about this site is that is takes many reviews and averages them into a score to determine if a movie is "fresh" or "rotten."

Although even with the average of many reviews, sometimes we still disagree but not often.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I, like you iwannabeminnie, do not agree with the critics most of the time. I go to a movie for escapism. Deep, heavy plots tend to turn me off. I do like to compare my views with the critics. I get worried if we both agree.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Always go with your own instinct. You know what you like. Those movies that are critically aclaimed, I tend to hate. I believe they don't have their feet in reality--or at least anywhere close to my reality.

And before anyone else says it, I may not be in realilty.

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I love to go to the movies. If I had unlimited time and money, I'd probably go see EVERY movie that hit theaters. But I don't have time or money, so instead I make sure I only go to the ones I REALLY want to see. I don't base it on reviews, but my own preferences. Case in point... I've heard fantastic things about movies such as Iron Man, and the new Batman flick, The Dark Knight. And if I could, sure, I'd love to see them, and sure, I'd probably enjoy them. But I'm not going to.

The last two movies I went to see were Prince Caspian and Wall-E. Not because they got particularly great reviews, but because I wanted to see them. Prince Caspian because it looked good, and because it was the next installment in the Chronicals of Narnia, and I knew how much I had enjoyed the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. And of course WALL-E simply because he's so darn adorable, and I have great faith in the Disney-Pixar team to produce fantastic films. Also, it didn't hurt that I was able to get free movie tickets for those two movies, which is always a big plus in my book. IF by some chance I do find the time and money to go to another movie in the next few weeks, my own personal list is topped right now by Mamma Mia, simply because I know that I love musicals, and although I've never seen the stage show, the previews look enormously entertaining. I don't care what the reviews might say. Honestly, I haven't even looked at them. I just know I want to see it, and no critic is going to be able to convince me I shouldn't want to. I don't believe any critic, no matter how well-respected they are, or how long they've been reviewing films, can accurately tell me what I will or will not like. I am me, they are them, and we are not one. It's as simple as that.

That said, I know there are at least two movies coming out in November that I am going to HAVE to go see (Quantum of Solace, and Half-Blood Prince), so I'm already trying to reserve my movie budget for at least those two fliks come November. I just cannot pass up either of those.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I rarely agree with the critics and I rarely go to movies, I wait for the HBO premier or DVD release. The last movie I went to was Horton Hears a Who and that was for a school fieldtrip for DD. Just go with what looks good to you, forget the reviews. I miss the original Siskel and Ebert, it has never been the same and I haven't watched it since.

*My not going is a based on theater seats which have cltoh backs that everyone puts their heads on, never know what will crawl on and off. Since there have been several lice outbreaks nationwide, I avoid theaters. Plus it is freezing in there and the sound is too loud, ineed to hear it not feel it.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.