Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Nightmare Before Christmas Rerelease in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Quick thoughts on the new release. First off, bought it on Bluray, and the picture/sound are incredible. In some ways, the sound is more improved, if your system can process ...
    JeremyES is offline A-Ticket holder

Nightmare Before Christmas Rerelease

Quick thoughts on the new release.

First off, bought it on Bluray, and the picture/sound are incredible. In some ways, the sound is more improved, if your system can process the 7.1 master track. The only way the picture could improve is a Disney 3D version, but that's a couple years off.

The only special feature I watched was the tour of the Haunted Mansion Holiday. This feature makes the purchase worthwhile. You get 2 versions, a 7 minute ride through, with optional pop-up trivia, and a 37 minute behind the scenes feature of making it. Both are in 1080i, which is a little bummer, but they're both still in widescreen with surround sound.

This is an DVD easy to recommend to any Disney Park fan for the Haunted Mansion content alone. I hope the standard-def release is close to this quality.
    Visit http://www.jeremyes.com for photos of stuff you like. Trust me.

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Thanks for the info on the extras in the new release.

I have been trying to decide if we needed to add this release to our collection. I guess we'll have to because of the HM footage.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

snazzo is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hi there!

Oh, I am definitely getting this. I'm a Nightmare freak.
    -I saw a MONSTROUS super duper collectable set, the Ultimate Set, with a huge Jack head in it. And it comes with a Santy hat and beard.
    -That was something like $160. Yikes! Ah me, if I were rich.

Yes, I've been wanting to see what the Haunted Mansion looks like. I think it must be tremendous. My favorite attraction and one of my favorite movies, I'd flip out.

Snazzo

JeremyES is offline A-Ticket holder
    I saw the box set and it looks awesome. Too bad they did not release the Blu Ray in the same sort of set. Oh well, saved me some money.
    Visit http://www.jeremyes.com for photos of stuff you like. Trust me.

snazzo is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hi! Me again.

I feel inclined to give my impressions about Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas in general. Here it goes.

Back when it first came out I worked at the Disney Store. They used to offer sneak peek previews to the cast members, so we would know what the next big thing was. We'd be a little familiar with the characters and songs.
    -So I went. And loved it, LOVED IT! My eyes popped and my jaw dropped. Great characters, astonishing attention to detail, weird humor, lovely songs and music, and animation unlike anything I had ever seen before.
    -But my coworkers said things like: "Well. .... That was ... interesting ..."

And I think this response got back to Disney Headquarters. For I once remember a preview for The Nightmare Before Christmas that put Nightmare in the Official Disney Canon. It would be mentioned right up there with Cinderella, Dumbo, and Snow White.
    -But I think the Corporate guys got cold feet. They said "This is REALLY weird." So instead of being released under the Disney label, they shifted it over to Touchstone and hoped for the best.
    -I don't even know if Touchstone is around anymore.
    -But there it did well enough. I think it was about $80 million for the initial release, and Number One for two maybe three weeks.
    -End of story? Obviously not!

What I think is neat is that Nightmare began to take on a classic status. I have bought memorabilia from collector's shops and eBay. I think it really was big in Asia, for some of my collectibles are in Japanese.
    -And I think Disney began to take notice. "Hm! People seem to like this!" What's more I think it's one of Disney's few Holiday movies, TWO holidays for the price of one in fact.
    -So they started coming out with merchandise. Then re-releases.

Just a year or two ago they came out with a 3-D movie. I want to say it was the first Disney movie in 3-D, but don't quote me on that.
    -And NOW there's merchandise almost every year. There's decorations at the Haunted Mansion. A new super release to DVD and Blu-Ray has come out, as JeremyES noted.

The point is I think it's a really cool journey. From a movie that might have embarrased the company to "The little movie that could." A genuine classic, maybe a cult classic.
    -Now Disney proudly puts the castle and Walt Disney right in front of it.

Some may argue they're milking Nightmare for all it's worth.
    -But not me. I'm fanatical. They keep making stuff, and I will keep buying.

Just saying! Thanks for reading.

Snazzo