Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss No more Narnia in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I just heard that Disney is dropping Narnia. They will no longer co-produce any more Narnia movies. I know that the economy isn't too great right now but I thought ...
    wdfan is offline Thinking Orange Thoughts

No more Narnia

I just heard that Disney is dropping Narnia. They will no longer co-produce any more Narnia movies.
    I know that the economy isn't too great right now but I thought the Narnia films did good. What does everyone else think about this. -What is going to happen to the Narnia exhibit in DHS?
    WDW Marathon '12
    WDW Goofy '13

I heartpeterpan is offline "Just Keep Swimming"
    thats to bad i love Narnia and the fact that Disney had a part in it made me love it even more.
    Disney Family Vacation 2006 -POP Century

Disney Honeymoon 2007- Dolphin

Disney Graduation/Anniversary Celebration 2010 Caribbean Beach

DisneyHomeVideo is offline B-Ticket Holder
    The books were (are) wonderful, but the Narnia movies never quite lived up to my expectations unfortunately.

I think it's very hard to make books into screenplays successfully, because how a book tells a story is inherently different than how a movie tells a story. It's like trying to make traveling by running and in an airplane into comparable experiences.

One thing about Disney, if something isn't working they drop it and move on to something else that is.

But on a personal note, I'm a bit sad because I thought the concept was great even if the movies were never quite what I wanted.

My last observation is, how can Disney see it as a failure when it brought in more than 419 million dollars worldwide, not including DVD sales?

Dan
    disneyhomevideo

mick_chick17 is offline A-Ticket holder
    aww, thats a BIG disappointment I still hope that the keep the artifacts in The Great Movie ride. My dad and I had a fun time figuring out every little funny thing that happened with them. Good times, good times

May 2005- GKTW for a Make-A-Wish Trip
    Feb 2007- Off Property and 1 night at All-Star Movies
    December 2008-09- All-Star Music Orchestra Trip
    BIRTHDAY TRIP
    SEPTEMBER 2010

All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them--Walt Disney aka The Man

Toad's Buddy is offline Fastpass Holder
    The exhibit at DHS will probably be updated to Disney's next film, as it always did in the past.
    Have a Great, Big, Beautiful Today!

Toad's Buddy

"No more Laserdiscs for you, Grandpa!"

wannabeella is offline A-Ticket holder
    That's a bummer. I really really liked the Narnia movies and was looking forward to the third one.
    When things get tough, think fluff and stuff ~Winnie the Pooh
    Disneyland: August 2005
    Walt Disney World: Cast Member May - August 2007
    Disneyland: April 2008

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    You know, I loved the first Narnia movie. I was a bit dissappointed in the second. With the huge budget for the third and if sales are down, I guess it is a business decision...
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

thunderman04-07 is offline Annual Passholder
    I heard a rumor that it was because of Copyright issues, something about Disney having to purchase rights to each book they do. My resource on this isnt very steady, but it seems possible.
    Sept 2004- Polynesian March 2005- Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec 2005- Offsite (yeah wont be doing that again...) April 2006- Contemporary Nov 2006- Grand Floridian April 2007- All Star Movies Dec 2007- Coronado Springs July 2008- Pop Century Oct 2008- All Star Sports Jan 2009- All Star Sports
    Pretty good sure as your born!

wdfan is offline Thinking Orange Thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by DissyLove View Post
    You know, I loved the first Narnia movie. I was a bit dissappointed in the second. With the huge budget for the third and if sales are down, I guess it is a business decision...
    Really? I liked the first one but I actually thought the second one was better for some reason.
    by the way, here is the article I found on the subject -sorry, I forgot to post it earlier
    Disney jumps ship on next Narnia | Entertainment | Reuters
    Last edited by wdfan; 12-24-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    WDW Marathon '12
    WDW Goofy '13

WoL Fan is offline A-Ticket holder
    I think they mishandled the franchise a bit. They had Prince Caspian perfectly timed to come out last holiday season but got scared by having that and the Golden Compass come out too close to each other and pushed Caspian back to this past summer.

I think that delay probably cost them some of the interest - they had it timed perfectly but blew it. Now with Dawn Treader not scheduled until 2010, they're going to have to try to gain a whole new audience back. Lots of the kids who were so into TLtW&TW may feel they've outgrown Narnia by the time Dawn Treader comes out.

Personally, I don't think anyone can really outgrow Narnia, but you know what I mean.

Narnia has a storyline that agrees with just about every type of audience.....So i agree with WoL Fan. i really liked the books, and im always excited to see how it transfers to film!
    Sept 2004- Polynesian March 2005- Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec 2005- Offsite (yeah wont be doing that again...) April 2006- Contemporary Nov 2006- Grand Floridian April 2007- All Star Movies Dec 2007- Coronado Springs July 2008- Pop Century Oct 2008- All Star Sports Jan 2009- All Star Sports

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    From what I've read, despite taking in over 400 million worldwide it cost 200 million. I'm also not sure if the "suits" take a look at worldwide numbers when making these decisions but just domestic take. But either way, I've heard from friends in the industry that you have to make way more than double the cost to get the ability to make a sequel.

The other thing I read is that the other studios aren't that interested in Walden Media products believing that the market for Christian themed movies has shrunk and not work their time.

I'm afraid if Dawn Treader makes it to to the theaters it's going to be under a much tighter budget
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Im hoping they put something really good in the exhibit at Hollywood Studios if they remove Narnia from the site. I put in another thread that it should be an interactive animation tour, not just drawing but with SFX and CGA as well!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder
    I enjoyed the movies and it sparked an interest in my kids to read the books, but I understand the realities of the market and the cost of making such an elaborate production. Maybe in the future, they will pick it up again.

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    The first one was pretty good, but I had completely lost interest by the time the second one came out. The only reason I saw it was because they were showing it on the Disney Cruise and it was free. It kept my attention, but it was nothing to write home about. I can see why Disney decided to drop it and honestly think it is a wise decision for them - I think it would be better to keep their focus on the Pixar films.
    ~Ashleigh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast