Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Disney's First Black Princess in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Loved this story... although it's funny... the whole "first American princess" cracked me up because well... the reason there's been no American Princesses is because we aren't a monarchy. But ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Disney's First Black Princess

Loved this story... although it's funny... the whole "first American princess" cracked me up because well... the reason there's been no American Princesses is because we aren't a monarchy. But still... good article.

Meet Anika Noni Rose: Disney's First Animated Black Princess - Movie News : People.com
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Yep, I will just wait for the DVD.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    The first I heard about Anika was after seeing a poster of her in the animation building at Studios.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough
    wasnt pocahontas the first american princess?
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by ERich2010 View Post
    wasnt pocahontas the first american princess?
    Depending on who you talk to, she wasn't a "princess" in the European royalty sense. Yes, she was the daughter of the chief but that doesn't equate to the same thing. I've seen arguments on both sides of the debate regarding the subject and Disney's use of artistic license on a historical person.

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...html#post45810
    Last edited by MandaBella; 02-20-2009 at 01:02 AM.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

DarGoku368 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I just want to say one thing and trust me Im not trying to be diparraging to any groups (this is jst my opinion) but I am upset about all of the censoring that is going on with the new movie because its the first black princess. Originally the character was going to be called one name and people thought it was offensively common for the first black princess. Then they were going to have her be a chamber maid but people thought that that make her look like a slave and that she shouldnt start off as a worker. I thought we were to the point that color was no longer an issue (Hello new Black President, GO Obama). Last that I checked the first disney princess, Snow White, was treated as a slave. Cinderella was treated as a slave. Its not trying to make some sort of political system, in fact to me it adds hopes and dreams and make the princesses more magical. The young girls watch these movies where seemingly common girls (just like them) end up becoming a princess in a full blown fairytale. My point is if disney stays true to itself (but not the new disney self, the old good disney movie self) and the censoring ends thn this could be a good move to see. GO HAND DRAWN ANIMATION!
    4 8 15 16 23 42

"Rat, schmat, besides...they're tourists...what do they know?"

thepurplefoldercp.blogspot.com