Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss My own Disney Digital 3D Imagineering in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I was thinking a little bit last night about the surge in 3D movies and what we may see because of that. So I started doing a little imagineering of ...
    thegoz85 is offline D-Ticket Holder

My own Disney Digital 3D Imagineering

I was thinking a little bit last night about the surge in 3D movies and what we may see because of that. So I started doing a little imagineering of my own. With the whole Disney Digital 3D thing, I think it would be a great time to introduce a new Fantasia. I don't even care if it's a re-release of the original, but how awesome would it be to see that animation come to life in 3D? I think it would be a totally immersive experience and would bring new life to a classic movie.

What do you guys think about that? Am I on to something, or was it something I ate?
    "Every sunset leads to morning, with the promise of opportunity."
    ~Promise

Love Disney? Interested in technology? Read DisTECH! Click the logo to check it out:

Also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

envypeterpan is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: My own Disney Digital 3D Imagineering

I could see them doing that. I did read something last year about how they will come out with a new one as soon as they find some new technology to use with it. 3-D would be pretty cool.
    -Brent
    "It's the time of your life, so live it well" ~ a bug's life

I have a Disney book coming out in the first week of March. Stop by www.fromscreentotheme.com for more details!

Jennings is offline B-Ticket Holder

I would love to see a new Fantasia, great idea! Although, I doubt that they would be able to re-release the original in 3-D, as it is in 2-D. What I would like to see, is more of those shorts as well, they showed one before Meet the Robinsons where Goofy sets up a home theater. It was awesome!

Yea, but they're re-releasing Toy Story and Toy Story 2 in Digital 3D. From what I understand of this technology, they can somehow make 2D films into 3D films. I'd probably like to see a new one anyway, though....
    ~Promise

Love Disney? Interested in technology? Read DisTECH! Click the logo to check it out:

Jennings is offline B-Ticket Holder

The Toy Story movies aren't in 2-D...they're done in 3-D animation. I'm not talking that they've already been released with Disney Digital 3-D, but without using the third dimension animation they most likely can't be done. Think about a short like The Band Concert in Disney Digital 3-D. Really all it would look like would be a bunch of layers popping out...
    ~Jennings~
    ~Proud D23 Member~
    ~22 WDW Trips and Counting~

I see what you mean by that. I thought you meant it just couldn't be done.

I think how good it would look depends on the movie. Certainly some 2D films would look great in 3D. For example, Disney is re-releasing Beauty and the Beast in Digital 3D next year (here is a story on that). I know there's computer animation in that movie, but it's still predominantly 2D. If they can pull it off with Beauty and the Beast (and I have faith they will), then I think they could do it with Fantasia as well.

This is all probably a moot point, because I'd want them to do a new version anyway!
    ~Promise