Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Congratulations to "Up" in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I spent last night at a concert on Long Island rather than sitting through the Oscars (never was one for awards shows... there's way too much going on in life ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Congratulations "Up"

I spent last night at a concert on Long Island rather than sitting through the Oscars (never was one for awards shows... there's way too much going on in life to waste over three hours of my life sitting through something I caught up entirely on in literally under two minutes reading about on my way to work today). I did check to see what movie won for animated feature, hoping that it wasn't "The Princess and the Frog." Thankfully, it was "Up" that won out. Granted, there weren't any really good animated movies this year (as if "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" had the chance of a meatball to win) but I was very happy to see that "Frog" didn't win.

I hope Disney doesn't take the awful box office sales and the lack of award for their latest clunker (anyone remember Home On the Range?) as a signal that fans are through with 2D animation. I believe that a more entertaining story with much stronger characters would have made for a better film. Perhaps the selection of story was weak. Maybe it was the annoying characters (that fake French accent on the frog prince was god-awful, the wacky alligator with his little horn was just stupid, and someone please swat that ridiculous firefly already). Perhaps the in-your-face setting of New Orleans (unnecessary from start to finish) with the annoying voodoo angle was poorly configured. Or maybe it was Disney's decision to focus on their first black princess rather than just make her a, well, princess without the continual ethnic reminder. Whatever the case, let's hope that Lasseter and friends take a step back and learn a huge lesson from "The Princess and the Frog". We WANT original animation along with computer animation. Just give us something worthwhile.

While hardly one of my favorite Disney/Pixar films, "Up" surprised me and I enjoyed it more than I expected. The trailers didn't appeal to me, but I took a shot with the movie and left feeling pleased. Sure, the movie had its ridiculous moments but overall you could believe the story. The one part that nearly had me walk out of the movie was toward the end, when the dogs were flying the planes. Yes, I can live with the talking collars. I can deal with the giant bird. I'm even willing to suspend belief and accept that the old guy had enough helium to blow up so many balloons, had enough room to walk around his house with them all crammed in there, and that they didn't lift the weight of house until after they were released (ever try carrying a bag of helium ballons? not that easy) but it was still set in reality enough for me that I could accept those things as part of a fun Disney film. But the dogs flying planes was way too absurd and came totally out of nowhere. I hope they fired that gag writer.

Anyway, Disney continues to prove that they are the superior studio when it comes to animation with this year's Academy Award for "Up." Nicely done, boys and girls. I've lost track of what Disney and/or Pixar have in store for us next, but as long as it's not "Meet the Robinsons 2", I think we'll do just fine.

Thank you for reading the ramblings of a guy who got in from the Five for Fighting concert after midnight, decided not to do his homework postings for class last night when bed won out, and then had to get up way too early for work today.
    Last edited by supernova; 03-08-2010 at 09:23 AM.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Congratulations to "Up"

I must have seen a different movie, I loved Princess and the Frog. I felt like Disney 2D animation had fianlly "come back" strong. I also liked Up. The movies do not have to be "real" for me to enjoy them, just a great story and soundtrack.

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder

Meet the Robinsons was not made with Pixar
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

I really enjoyed Princess And The Frog too, it was great, and we plan on getting the DVD when it comes out. Although I liked Princess And The Frog better than Up, I wasn't surprised to see Up take best animated film, however, how Up did better in music than Princess And The Frog with its "Almost There" and "Down in New Orleans" songs I'll never know. To me Princess And The Frog owned Up as far as the music went. I can't even recall any music from Up, let alone the name of any of the songs from Up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipadeedooda View Post
    Meet the Robinsons was not made with Pixar
    Perhaps not, but should it have been made to begin with? Weak forgetable characters all around.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I loved the princess and the frog... enough to see it in theatres twice. But I love love loved UP... it deserved the win for sure. You're the first person i've heard of that didn't like... it may not have been the best movie disney has ever made, but it was still wonderful! If you want a BAD disney movie, just watch home on the range!

DlandPirate is offline A-Ticket holder

Well, I am actually watching UP now, and I have to say, I am an on off fan of that movie. Depends on my mood. Right now, not digging it alot. Only because it seems a little weird for me. Though this is definately one of Pixar's darkest films, this is indeed not that greatest in the world as a storyline. That is my opinion. Though Pixar will always be superior to the other animators out there. The only one I could see getting any closer to Up was Coraline.

Passed on Coraline. Looked too much like Nightmare Before Christmas II. Or maybe Nightmare Before Christmas meets Beetlejuice?

Quote Originally Posted by Flrancho View Post
    I really enjoyed Princess And The Frog too, it was great, and we plan on getting the DVD when it comes out. Although I liked Princess And The Frog better than Up, I wasn't surprised to see Up take best animated film, however, how Up did better in music than Princess And The Frog with its "Almost There" and "Down in New Orleans" songs I'll never know. To me Princess And The Frog owned Up as far as the music went. I can't even recall any music from Up, let alone the name of any of the songs from Up.
    Up wasn't about music, was it? Or maybe it's not about songs so much as it is instrumental score. I still think a big part of the reason they set it in Louisiana is so that they could had a place to stick the music, and use that alligator and his horn.

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    I loved the princess and the frog... enough to see it in theatres twice. But I love love loved UP... it deserved the win for sure. You're the first person i've heard of that didn't like... it may not have been the best movie disney has ever made, but it was still wonderful! If you want a BAD disney movie, just watch home on the range!
    Didn't say I didn't like up. Just hated the dogs-in-planes sequence. Now, the person below you... THEY didn't like Up.

Yensid_Retlaw is offline D-Ticket Holder

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow! Just a dream away!

"A Tip of the hat from Dr. Facilier"

"Cause I've got friends on the other side!"

A proud D23 Charter Year member.

And a dedicated Lead Manager at the Disney Store in Georgian Mall, Barrie, Ontario! 3 years! I almost get a Pluto pin!