Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Anyone else love Disney, but abhor the Disney Channel? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I cannot stand the Disney Channel mainly due to its live action teen sitcoms. That is some of the most lame and obnoxious, unfunny rubbish I've ever seen on television. ...
    KimberlySayWhat is offline A-Ticket holder

Anyone else love Disney, but abhor the Disney Channel?

I cannot stand the Disney Channel mainly due to its live action teen sitcoms. That is some of the most lame and obnoxious, unfunny rubbish I've ever seen on television. Whenever my niece and nephew come over (ages 8 and 5), I won't let them watch it. It's a shame because the Disney Channel used to be so good. It doesn't even feel Disney anymore. Really, can they not produce entertaining yet intelligent, Disney-esque programming? I can't tell the Disney Channel and Nick apart. They both make me want to pull my hair out.

That's all. Rant over. Just curious if anyone else, despite being a big fan of Disney, hates the Disney Channel? I can't be alone. Tell me I'm not alone.

msufan is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Anyone else love Disney, but abhor the Disney Channel?

You are not alone. I think they are losing their Disney focus.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Yes, but it is so politically incorrect and blasphemous I never say it out-loud.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I have never once watched a show on the Disney Channel. Sometimes I'll catch a bit of a movie, but after the first commercial I come to, I'm gone and don't go back. But no, no cartoons, no live action, nothing. Shut it down.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Nah, I love them both.

disneyfun55 is offline C-Ticket Holder

The Disney Channel has certainly lost it's focus. I remember about 7 year ago, late at night they would broadcast the specials about the parks - all the behind the scenes, construction, and grand opening shows and the like. It seems that as soon as they came out with those metal box sets that they stopped airing those shows.
    Coupled with the fact that the only cartoons that they show are Playhouse Disney (great for very young kids and very Disney-esque albeit computer generated) and the Pixar films.

What I would give to see some of the old cartoons being shown or some of the in-park reviews done by Samantha Brown and the like. If Disney wonders why children are loosing interest in the classic characters, its because they really don't put them out their anymore.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfun55 View Post
    The Disney Channel has certainly lost it's focus. I remember about 7 year ago, late at night they would broadcast the specials about the parks - all the behind the scenes, construction, and grand opening shows and the like. It seems that as soon as they came out with those metal box sets that they stopped airing those shows.
    Coupled with the fact that the only cartoons that they show are Playhouse Disney (great for very young kids and very Disney-esque albeit computer generated) and the Pixar films.

What I would give to see some of the old cartoons being shown or some of the in-park reviews done by Samantha Brown and the like. If Disney wonders why children are loosing interest in the classic characters, its because they really don't put them out their anymore.
    I agree 100%! I remember the show called Disney Inside Out where they would take you on tours around the "World," and had interviews with Imagineers, etc. That kind of programming is long gone I fear.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

KimberlySayWhat is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfun55 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    I agree 100%! I remember the show called Disney Inside Out where they would take you on tours around the "World," and had interviews with Imagineers, etc. That kind of programming is long gone I fear.
    See, those would be ideal. That would be very entertaining and educational at the same time. I love Samantha Brown. I love behind-the-scenes stuff. Plus there are soooo many movies in the Disney archive that they could air, from the classics to the more recent. So many great ideas.
    It could be sooo much better than it is.

This is happening to all the cable networks, it's not just Disney. VH1 for example has little to do with music now and has become practically a reality show channel. TV Land has moved away from its original concept of classic TV shows and more about movies and reality garbage. The Travel Channel has been dumbed down to "extreme this", "extreme that", ghosts, gluttony, poker and less about actual travel. It's endless. I guess that's why I'm starting to hate TV more and more.
    Last edited by KimberlySayWhat; 06-14-2010 at 12:04 PM.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Oh I know what you mean. TV has really taken a downhill slide in recent years. I had to have a "come to Jesus" meeting with my girls when they started talking back to us and having those attitudes that the Disney Channel and Nick. kids have.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlySayWhat View Post
    I cannot stand the Disney Channel mainly due to its live action teen sitcoms. That is some of the most lame and obnoxious, unfunny rubbish I've ever seen on television. Whenever my niece and nephew come over (ages 8 and 5), I won't let them watch it. It's a shame because the Disney Channel used to be so good. It doesn't even feel Disney anymore. Really, can they not produce entertaining yet intelligent, Disney-esque programming? I can't tell the Disney Channel and Nick apart. They both make me want to pull my hair out.

That's all. Rant over. Just curious if anyone else, despite being a big fan of Disney, hates the Disney Channel? I can't be alone. Tell me I'm not alone.
    I agree, the only thing I put on is the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in the morning, then that's it for the Disney Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    I loved that show, I wish they would bring that back, even if it was just on a monthly basis, now if they could just find a host, someone who really knows the parks, knows the history and trivia of the world.....who could they get??
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

I really miss the Old Disney Channel - from back from when I was a kid (early 90's). I remember the Dumbo Show Duck Tales and and all the other Disney character-based cartoons. That's what the Disney Channel SHOULD be based on - Disney.

I too remember all the shows about the parks too, my all time favorite was Disney Inside Out..my parents would let me stay up late to watch it, and that show is the reason I fell in love with the behind the scenes magic of the parks. I wish kids today were exposed to more of that, not the never-ending plots of teen romance and drama...there's enough of that in the real world for them. Let kids grow up slowly.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

Having a 2 year old, most of Saturday morning is parked in front of the TV watching the Disney Channel. In just the past year or so alone, it has gotten worse, with more and more adds for the teen comedies during Playhouse Disney, and they have added new shows such Chugginton, Oso, and Jungle Junction that just look cheap and poorly produced. However, I do enjoy Handy Manny (even though he is just an answer to Dora and Deigo), Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Tigger and Pooh, Charlie and Lola, and Little Einstiens (which has been relagated to weekends only for some crazy reason). I also like the classic shorts and the Mater shorts they show. And of course Phineus and Ferb is awesome, can't get enough of that, so I guess it's not that bad, if only they would get rid of the poorly produced shows and bring back the Wiggles and maybe dip into the vault and show some Fraggle Rock, Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, and of course Gummie Bears! I also think they should be shoving the parks down our throats!!

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

DaddyPhat is offline A-Ticket holder

The need a Disney classics channel I would pay more for it as well!

Rexbitten is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlySayWhat View Post

I doubt your alone on this, I remember it in it's "good old days". It used to have such wonderful programming and lots of the classic animation but that's all gone now and replaced by well what you called it.
    Don't even get me started on the travesty that is Myley Cyrus.