Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss The Next 2D feature ? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Does anybody know when the next 2D feature will be ? I would hope they would follow up The Princess and the Frog soon . I've just seen the trailer ...
    Ominusrex is offline B-Ticket Holder

The Next 2D feature ?

Does anybody know when the next 2D feature will be ? I would hope they would follow up The Princess and the Frog soon . I've just seen the trailer for "Tangled" and it looks awesome,but it's not 2D like i thought it was going to be.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Re: The Next 2D feature ?

"Rapunzel" is going to be the next one I believe. While it will still be made on computers, it's still going to be "2D"
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Tangled IS Rapunzel, they changed the name. And I think by "2D" you mean hand-drawn typical animation. Tangled is definitely not that (and it is going to be released in 3D, as I just saw the 3D trailer today)

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

When in the HECK did they change the name? I feel like an idiot now, wow.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    When in the HECK did they change the name? I feel like an idiot now, wow.
    Yes they changed the name, but that was a few months ago now. According to an interview I read about the movie, they are hoping to keep it a bit more gender-neutral with the name. Ticket sales for "Princess and the Frog" was a major disappointment for the company, and they felt that throwing the word 'princess' in the title kept the young male demographic away from the theaters. By changing the name to Tangled, it should hopefully take the princess stigma off the film so they can market it to both sexes. The initial trailers Disney releases are going to rely more on humor and action and less on the romantic softer side of the story. As for the style of animation, it's going to be computer animation with a 2D feel.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Pluto40 is offline A-Ticket holder

isnt it going to be winnie the pooh? i think its slated for the same release date as harry potter next year.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Yes they changed the name, but that was a few months ago now. According to an interview I read about the movie, they are hoping to keep it a bit more gender-neutral with the name. Ticket sales for "Princess and the Frog" was a major disappointment for the company, and they felt that throwing the word 'princess' in the title kept the young male demographic away from the theaters. By changing the name to Tangled, it should hopefully take the princess stigma off the film so they can market it to both sexes. The initial trailers Disney releases are going to rely more on humor and action and less on the romantic softer side of the story. As for the style of animation, it's going to be computer animation with a 2D feel.

Ya, frankly the trailer has left me with little interest in the movie... it seemed to Dreamworks-like with pop culture references and trying to be "hip". However, I've read that the movie isn't actually like that at all, and they're just doing exactly what you said with the trailers to get boys interest. The actual movie will have a typical Disney feel to it. Hopefully they're right! I like some of Dreamworks' movies and they're usually pretty funny, but they just don't seem to have the classic, timeless feel to them that Disney movies have.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto40 View Post
    isnt it going to be winnie the pooh? i think its slated for the same release date as harry potter next year.
    Ya I guess it would be Winnie the Pooh...
    I just read a list of upcoming Disney films and that was the only one on the list that wasn't CGI or live action. That doesn't mean that they don't have ideas that just haven't been announced yet I suppose.

So not including Pooh it may be a little longer before we see another big
    2D feature. I'm hoping that the trend in CG movies like the Pixar and Dreamworks films hasn't ruined 2D for good, when it was put out to pasture the first time i was so confused as to why something that had been around for generationds was just abandoned. But they do that from time to time there don't they ? Then they tweak it a lil' and roll it back out like it's brand new. As for Tangled humor does seem to be how they are marketing but while watching the trailer i couldn't help but compare the hero (voice of Chuck's Zachary Levi) to the hero Pheobus from "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" !

I wonder if Kevin Kline even remembers doing that movie.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

I wonder if Kevin Kline even remembers doing that movie.
    I would hope doing that would have been a memorable experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominusrex View Post
    I would hope doing that would have been a memorable experience.
    The only movie quote I can remember from Kevin Kline is, "Wake up! Wake up Limey fish."

The only movie quote I can remember from Kevin Kline is, "Wake up! Wake up Limey fish."
    A Fish Called Wanda ?

anim8rguy is offline A-Ticket holder

Yes. Winnie the Pooh is the next hand drawn feature. I've seen some shots from the film and it looks very nice. I know several people working on it who also did work on The Princess and the Frog. I sure hope it does well at the box office so we'll see more! I have heard that they have shelved a few traditionally animated ideas due to the poor showing of "Frog".

Mr. Tom Morrow is offline C-Ticket Holder

It should be Disney does 2D projects while Pixar handles the 3D projects. I wish Tangled would be a 2D feature even if it does have a 2D feel. Growing up I was always into drawing and seeing animation from Disney was pretty spectacular. I liked seeing how they would draw their films. To me 2D is more of an art than 3D animation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast