Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Tangled=Disney Shrek? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I have a great picture of my cat curled up next to the big green Harry Potter book. The comment on my Facebook page was, "See? Even my cat knows ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Tangled=Disney Shrek?

I have a great picture of my cat curled up next to the big green Harry Potter book. The comment on my Facebook page was, "See? Even my cat knows this book is boring trash".
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

dman1373 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by londonpup09 View Post
    Okay, I have to put my thoughts on this topic in the post. I read through the entire thread before making any comments and here is a little what I picked up on. I read several people saying that the new Tangled movie does not look like a Disney movie. I for one would be bored if every movie was made the exact way and there was the same underlying "disney" appearance. A company should be able to make some change or attempt at using new techniques and keeping up with the theme. I do believe Disney has had several movies that have not done well, but I think it should be noted that most of the best Disney movies were made during Walts time and he is not here to create the amazing movies he did during his life. As for those that came after his death that were good, most of those animators are no longer there. This is a new generation of animators who are working to bring Disney into a new age of creating Disney movies.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, but felt I would just add my opinion to the board. I think we should all wait and see what the movies are actually like before marking them as a failure.

I wouldn't mind them doing different things in movies. If the want cgi, sure thats great. If they want to tell storys a different way fine. If they don't want to do fairytales any more, than they can do it. But when they just throw slop together on a screen that has a very generic flavor to it then count me out.

The thing isn't that I want a generic disney movie that they just keep popping out. Its almost the opposite, because Disney always had a way of putting their animated movies above all others. When you saw a disney movie come out, you were excited. It wasn't like the others, it was like a whole new world(pun intended). Then after lilo and stitch it wasn't like that any more. They were just like the others. The same types of jokes, the same type of story. They might as well have been made by Dreamworks.

So I don't want a generic animated movie. I want a Disney animated movie, meaning I want a animated movie above the others. And it just looks like tangled will not be it.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by dman1373 View Post
    I wouldn't mind them doing different things in movies. If the want cgi, sure thats great. If they want to tell storys a different way fine. If they don't want to do fairytales any more, than they can do it. But when they just throw slop together on a screen that has a very generic flavor to it then count me out.

The thing isn't that I want a generic disney movie that they just keep popping out. Its almost the opposite, because Disney always had a way of putting their animated movies above all others. When you saw a disney movie come out, you were excited. It wasn't like the others, it was like a whole new world(pun intended). Then after lilo and stitch it wasn't like that any more. They were just like the others. The same types of jokes, the same type of story. They might as well have been made by Dreamworks.

So I don't want a generic animated movie. I want a Disney animated movie, meaning I want a animated movie above the others. And it just looks like tangled will not be it.
    just look at Walt Disney Feature Films 40-50

40. Emperor's New Groove
    41. Atlantis
    42. Lilo & Stitch
    43. Treasure Planet
    44. Brother Bear
    45. Home on the Range
    46. Chicken Little
    47. Meet the Robinsons
    48. Bolt
    49. The Princess and the Frog
    50. Tangled

with the exception of Lilo and possibly MTR... this list is unimpressive if best... and 39. Dinosaur doesnt help really either... someone tell me... what is the trend here...?

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I have a great picture of my cat curled up next to the big green Harry Potter book. The comment on my Facebook page was, "See? Even my cat knows this book is boring trash".
    if a cat cant stay awake for it... no one has a chance...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    just look at Walt Disney Feature Films 40-50

40. Emperor's New Groove
    41. Atlantis
    42. Lilo & Stitch
    43. Treasure Planet
    44. Brother Bear
    45. Home on the Range
    46. Chicken Little
    47. Meet the Robinsons
    48. Bolt
    49. The Princess and the Frog
    50. Tangled

with the exception of Lilo and possibly MTR... this list is unimpressive if best... and 39. Dinosaur doesnt help really either... someone tell me... what is the trend here...?

if a cat cant stay awake for it... no one has a chance...
    by after lilo and stitch i meant that was the last great Disney movie, as i didn't like Atlantis. I however liked the emperors new groove.

My thinking is that Lilo & Stitch was more like an aberration considering the trend that Disney has followed... Comparitvely look at what pixar has come up with in the same time period as the Disney movies starting in 2000 when Emporer came out...

4 Monsters Inc.
    5 Finding Nemo
    6 The Incredibles
    7 Cars
    8 Ratatouille
    9 WALL-E
    10 Up

If you were to even attempt to match them up it isnt even close... It's a landslide... What does Pixar have that Disney Pictures doesnt...? Good stories... Good ideas... And look... No fairytales here... All original ideas from storyboard to finished product...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

What does Pixar have that Disney Pictures doesnt...?
    A better working atmosphere and increased creative freedom.
    Last edited by 20K; 11-23-2010 at 08:55 AM.

My thinking is that Lilo & Stitch was more like an aberration considering the trend that Disney has followed... Comparitvely look at what pixar has come up with in the same time period as the Disney movies starting in 2000 when Emporer came out...

4 Monsters Inc.
    5 Finding Nemo
    6 The Incredibles
    7 Cars
    8 Ratatouille
    9 WALL-E
    10 Up

If you were to even attempt to match them up it isnt even close... It's a landslide... What does Pixar have that Disney Pictures doesnt...? Good stories... Good ideas... And look... No fairytales here... All original ideas from storyboard to finished product...
    But just wait untill pixar comes out with their own fairy tale, next year i think. It will blow the princess and the frog and tangled, out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post
    A better working atmosphere and increased creative freedom.
    exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by dman1373 View Post
    But just wait untill pixar comes out with their own fairy tale, next year i think. It will blow the princess and the frog and tangled, out of the water.
    but they will take more time to develop the story... Pixar has great animation dont get me wrong and the CG is amazing... but the story is what makes them successful... knock on wood they havent had a dud yet... Dreamworks has had quite a few in the same amount of time...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

WyckedPhoenix is offline D-Ticket Holder

Wow... so much negativity here..

For me, honestly, it's Disney and I will always be hopeful that it will be good. I happen to think the commercials look cute and I plan on seeing. After that, if it turns out I didn't enjoy it, I'll accept that and understanf that not everyone will have the same view as me.

As for the HP books and movies, I happen to be a BIG fan. I love reading the books cause Rowling has a way of taking me out of my day and putting me into this other world and to me, that is what makes a great book. I was not a fan of the 3rd and 6th movies but that does not ruin all the rest for me. This 7th movie happened to be done very well and I look forward to the next. I'm sorry that you guys didn't like them but that does not make them trash...
    *Jennifer Lynn*
    NDW #38
    Fist EVER WDW trip in October 2011!
    Things about me....

Launchpad11B is offline Fastpass Holder

Just saw Tangled. I thought it was great.

seekeroftruth46 is offline A-Ticket holder

Yeah Tangled was AMAZING most definitely Disney's best outing since the Lion King. It had the same feel as the Disney classics of the past, kicked Princess and the Frog in the butt AND it's kicking *** at the Box Office. By far Disney's best film in years and years. Looks like they are finally bouncing back. Yeah pretty much every single negative post here was proven wrong since Tangled basically succeeded on all levels. It was definitely NOT a flop.

It just goes to show you that all the haters and those who want it to fail in the end have no idea what they are talking about.

Oh also, anyone who hated this film must hate Disney films or something. Or just have a bad taste in movies. But that's just me.

It is currently in second place at the box office behind the Harry Potter film but will likely snag the number 1 spot. I doubt Pixar's "fairytale" will be able to blow this out of the water.

The songs sung by the characters were pretty memorable as well as the performances from Rapunzel and Flynn. I actually didn't want the film to end and would actually want a sequel even though Disney has a bad reputation for those.
    Last edited by seekeroftruth46; 12-02-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seekeroftruth46 View Post
    Yeah Tangled was AMAZING most definitely Disney's best outing since the Lion King. It had the same feel as the Disney classics of the past, kicked Princess and the Frog in the butt AND it's kicking *** at the Box Office. By far Disney's best film in years and years. Looks like they are finally bouncing back. Yeah pretty much every single negative post here was proven wrong since Tangled basically succeeded on all levels. It was definitely NOT a flop.

It just goes to show you that all the haters and those who want it to fail in the end have no idea what they are talking about.

Oh also, anyone who hated this film must hate Disney films or something. Or just have a bad taste in movies. But that's just me.

It is currently in second place at the box office behind the Harry Potter film but will likely snag the number 1 spot. I doubt Pixar's "fairytale" will be able to blow this out of the water.

The songs sung by the characters were pretty memorable as well as the performances from Rapunzel and Flynn. I actually didn't want the film to end and would actually want a sequel even though Disney has a bad reputation for those.
    just to clarify a few things...

none of us are Disney haters... we are here arent we...?

to say we have no idea what we are talking about is preposterous... take a hard look at Disney films 41-50... one out of ten is not what i call a good percentage...

also many of the comments from this thread were made well before the film debuted...

if we are referring to Pixar's Brave... lets hold out judgement... the film is a year and a half away... and compare what Pixar has done in the last 10 years...

if Tangled is a good film than i as most people here are happy... we want to see Disney succeed... the fact has been that Disney Animation has been stalled since the early 2000's... in fact it has seen a decline since Jeffrey Katzenberg left...

sorry if i seem as though i need to defend myself as well as others but it seems our message has been misunderstood or misconstrued...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

seekeroftruth46 is offline A-Ticket holder

The post wasn't directed at anyone in particular but from what I saw here a lot of the posts were predicting, essentially HOPING this film would fail, or that's how it seemed to me and THAT is what truly is preposterous. But that's just my opinion. If I'm wrong so be it.

But Tangled is a pure gold, the jackpot, LIGHTNING in a bottle, of a film. Yes it's CGI but it retains the feel of the old days when Disney was at it's strongest with the classics. Yes it is a musical as well, like the majority of the old classics, and the songs are really well done. Strange that the trailers never advertised it as a musical.

Tangled is classic Disney in every sense of the word, putting the golden crown back on Disney's head that has been absent for so long, and it's almost beating Harry Potter at the box office. Rapunzel has been added to the official list of Disney Princesses as the 10th one and she's here to stay.

By the way I'm an adult 21 year old male and the film was far from girly, there was plenty of male appeal in the film. Mandy Moore does a splendid job voicing Rapunzel and Chuck's Zachary Levi plays the leading male role well and has a surprisingly good singing voice.

Anyway my point is true fans of Disney will not be disappointed, every doubt about this film will be put to rest. There is a scene towards the movie's finale that must be seen in 3-D, I'm sure it looks amazing in 2-D as well but this particular scene is breathtaking in 3-D

Anyway tried not to put in any spoilers, it really is a great film. It is incredibly fun and funny. A decent mix of comedy and romance as well as drama.
    Last edited by seekeroftruth46; 12-03-2010 at 03:50 AM.

i understand your point... but for me personally i wasnt hoping for the film to fail... i had just seen a bad trend in the animation department and hoped that this film didnt fall in line with the likes of Atlantis and Treasure Planet... judging by your thoughts and the thoughts of others it seems Tangled is a good film... i am glad for that and hope it is the beginning of a new page in Disney Animation...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

My point in starting this thread was I thought the animation of Tangled looked similar to Shrek. As far as hoping for it to succeed or fail; I don't have a horse in this race. It just doesn't interesting to me so I won't be seeing it.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast