Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Tangled=Disney Shrek? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I haven't seen Tangled...I don't even know if it's out yet.... but each time I see the commercials they really make me think of Shrek. The characters from Tangled look ...
    MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Tangled=Disney Shrek?

I haven't seen Tangled...I don't even know if it's out yet.... but each time I see the commercials they really make me think of Shrek. The characters from Tangled look to my eye a lot like Shrek's human characters. Is Disney trying to make a Shreklike movie or am I alone in this impression?
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Tangled=Disney Shrek?

Absolutely. No better than other studio's offerings. Disney has really gone downhill lately. They tried to claim that Princess and the Frog was a poor showing due to the 2D aspect. I don't think CGI could have handled that mess, nor could Pixar have saved it. As for Tangled, yes they got away from the princess idea that kept boys away in droves from the Frog movie. But this one will hopefully tank, too. Time for them to wake up and take lessons from the past, when Disney was releasing quality entertainment.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

those certainly were the days werent they..? i hope they see the err of their ways and o back to what works... Pixar has the right idea... even with CGI they know what makes a good movie... a great story...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

dman1373 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I don't know how they think bad script + bad songs + bad characters = A good movie.

The fairytale has been done to death. Disney should forget that genre for a decade or so, but then that would be "risky".
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I'm excited for Tangled. I've had a chance to talk to a couple animators about it and Princess & The Frog. They thought, and I kinda have to agree, that Princess & The Frog didn't really get the respect that it deserved. They like Tangled better than Princess & The Frog so I really think that Tangled will be good. I was most disappointed with the Disney 'fans' because they demanded that 2D animation be brought back, and soon as they make Princess & The Frog, they're not happy with it. You wanted 2D animation, they gave it to you, then you proceed to slam what they come up with. And you wonder why they're doing different things. If you're not going to like anything they make, they might as well try some different things while being reprimanded for it.

Not too excited about the name change to Tangled, and neither were they. But I've yet to hear of anyone who is.

In contrast to that, they didn't get how Cars was so popular. Let's be honest here, Cars wasn't really all that great. It was a pretty plain story. And I think they're hoping to fix that with Cars 2 and some unexpected twists that are in that movie with the international espionage. Cars was unique in the sense that sales increased AFTER the movie was released on DVD and all the die-cast toy cars came out, unlike other movies where sales decrease shortly after the movie is in the theaters.

Sorry for the digression, but all in all, I think Tangled should and will be good.
    Last edited by WDW4Ever; 11-17-2010 at 05:58 PM.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Mike Fink is offline C-Ticket Holder

I liked The Princess and the Frog too. Thought the characters were more complex and human in their behavior than typical Disney fare. Especially true of the Charlotte character, who wasn't clearly 'all good' or 'all bad' but a mix of the two. Flawed, like a real person. The music and animation were good too.

The Shrek movies baffle me. I don't understand how Katzenberg could do such a great job at Disney and then leave to crank out such mediocre stuff at DreamWorks.

I hope Tangled will not be like Shrek. Maybe the animation styles are similar, but rules Disney applies to its animated features should keep it from being Shrekky. Namely, an avoidance of topical humor, Hollywood 'in jokes', humor about bodily functions, and attempts to be 'hip'. Disney does a little bit of this stuff, but generally they shoot for timelessness while DreamWorks shoots for being contemporary. Timelessness pays better in the long run and makes for better films.

PAdisneygirl is offline B-Ticket Holder

I could not agree more! It's a shame because it hardly looks "Disney" until the logo is shown. I am not a Shrek fan and don't feel at all excited about this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by PAdisneygirl View Post
    I could not agree more! It's a shame because it hardly looks "Disney" until the logo is shown.
    That's exactly what I thought! The first time I saw the commercial I figured it was for a Dreamworks movie.

PAdisneygirl is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    That's exactly what I thought! The first time I saw the commercial I figured it was for a Dreamworks movie.
    The commercial came on RIGHT after I posted my message and I really just had to shake my head. And it's amazing that the parks are already having character meet and greets, etc. for this movie. I don't recall that happening with Up or anything else too recent. Or did I just miss it?

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

I love character meet and greets

WyckedPhoenix is offline D-Ticket Holder

I kind of like the look of it and am hoping for it to be good. My husband made the same comment though about how it looked like Shrek, so when I saw this post I thought it was pretty crazy, haha.
    *Jennifer Lynn*
    NDW #38
    Fist EVER WDW trip in October 2011!
    Things about me....

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

My family actually like The Princess and the Frog and are looking forward to Tangled. I liked the music from The Princess and the Frog as well. I guess each to their own.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by PAdisneygirl View Post
    The commercial came on RIGHT after I posted my message and I really just had to shake my head. And it's amazing that the parks are already having character meet and greets, etc. for this movie. I don't recall that happening with Up or anything else too recent. Or did I just miss it?
    I think it's a lot like Tron is going to be... forgetable. They know both movies are going to flop so they're trying to create a buzz before the films come out. I saw the Tangled characters in Disneyland Paris a couple of weeks ago and it took me a bit to recognize who they were supposed to be. They were in an alcove in Sleeping Beauty's castle and both characters were fairly generic.

As for Tron, they were promoting this film months ago on its monorails, and now are featuring ElecTronica in their parks. Nothing says "klunker" quite like a dance party.

As for Princess and the Frog, have all of the riverboat shows pretty much gone away now?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

We shall all see on the 24th I suppose.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast