Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Gurgi from The Black Cauldron in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Well I'm not sure where to put this question.... What type of dog would most resemble Gurgi from The Black Cauldron? We want to get a puppy and name him ...
    rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak

Gurgi from The Black Cauldron

Well I'm not sure where to put this question....

What type of dog would most resemble Gurgi from The Black Cauldron?

We want to get a puppy and name him Gurgi... but we want one that looks like Gurgi as much as possible.
    Disney Trips
    May 1994- WDW (off property)
    May 1997- WDW (off property)
    March 2001- WDW (off property)
    May 2006- Disneyland (off property)
    September 2010- WDW (POFQ)
    October 2012 - Wedding and Honeymoon! - WDW (POR)

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Gurgi from The Black Cauldron

If memory serves me correctly nobody actually calls Gurgi a dog. I own a dog grooming business, to me he looks very close to a Wired hair Tibetan terrier. The bold words are very important. There are many wired terriers. There is also a soft coated Tibetan. Very different animal visuals and personalities.

If you are going to buy one, go to a Show breeder. They make sure there is nothing wrong with their hips. They sell off extra litter dogs that are not perfect to show, too tall, to short, not long enough etc. They breed for health and good temperament.

One of the colors available in Wired hair Tibetans is White with tan splotches that are very similar to Gurgi. WH Tibetans hair can grow to 18 inches long, generally parted down the middle of their backs and down to the floor. They can also be shaved (funny look'n) or what I call a teddy bear cut, about 2" all around and they leave looking like they have fur like a teddy bear.

Note: Tibetans need to be brushed out from head to toe every week. Washed every 2-3 weeks depending on your property. Make sure with a Gurgi type breed you are willing to put the effort into this type of dog or pay someone like me. Oliver the one I groom comes to visit once a week,
    brushed out one week, bathed and trimmed the next. He payed many a mortgage payment for me. They are very fun, active playful dogs. Bonus they do not shed all over the house.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Haunted Gabe... Wow, I never would have been able to answer that question. Maybe you can help pick dog look-a-likes for other characters as well. You might even be able to groom some dogs to look like Disney characters. You could charge the extra for the service for your Disney fund.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    If memory serves me correctly nobody actually calls Gurgi a dog. I own a dog grooming business, to me he looks very close to a Wired hair Tibetan terrier. The bold words are very important. There are many wired terriers. There is also a soft coated Tibetan. Very different animal visuals and personalities.

If you are going to buy one, go to a Show breeder. They make sure there is nothing wrong with their hips. They sell off extra litter dogs that are not perfect to show, too tall, to short, not long enough etc. They breed for health and good temperament.

One of the colors available in Wired hair Tibetans is White with tan splotches that are very similar to Gurgi. WH Tibetans hair can grow to 18 inches long, generally parted down the middle of their backs and down to the floor. They can also be shaved (funny look'n) or what I call a teddy bear cut, about 2" all around and they leave looking like they have fur like a teddy bear.

Note: Tibetans need to be brushed out from head to toe every week. Washed every 2-3 weeks depending on your property. Make sure with a Gurgi type breed you are willing to put the effort into this type of dog or pay someone like me. Oliver the one I groom comes to visit once a week,
    brushed out one week, bathed and trimmed the next. He payed many a mortgage payment for me. They are very fun, active playful dogs. Bonus they do not shed all over the house.
    Ha ha! Cool...!
    Just yesterday a guest came up to the counter at CC with a Tibetan Terrier calendar and said they couldn't believe we actually carried it!
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak

yay thank you!
    i want gurgi puppy!
    Disney Trips
    May 1994- WDW (off property)
    May 1997- WDW (off property)
    March 2001- WDW (off property)
    May 2006- Disneyland (off property)
    September 2010- WDW (POFQ)
    October 2012 - Wedding and Honeymoon! - WDW (POR)

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    Haunted Gabe... Wow, I never would have been able to answer that question. Maybe you can help pick dog look-a-likes for other characters as well. You might even be able to groom some dogs to look like Disney characters. You could charge the extra for the service for your Disney fund.
    haha, thanks. Goofy would be the one that would do me in. You'd be surprised what I've seen/done in grooming competitions. They are into dying animals now. There is a Pluto orange. I groomed a standard poodle once. In a spiral like a
    cork scr w. So cool when the dog walked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizisit View Post
    Ha ha! Cool...!
    Just yesterday a guest came up to the counter at CC with a Tibetan Terrier calendar and said they couldn't believe we actually carried it!
    Yep, I'm sure this was the inspiration for Gurgi. Teddy Bear hair cut and you'd be really close. Lordie I can just see someone bringing me the picture in and saying this is what I want him to look like.

Or worse, do whatever you want, I just don't want him to look like a poodle. But he is a Poodle.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

WaltSentMe007 is offline A-Ticket holder

I love Disney pet names! I have a cat named Duchess

Agree. My Pups name is Walt.