Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss After Re-watching Toy Story today a thought occured to me ! in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; We've been watching the 3 Toy Story movies over the last couple days and after watching Toy Story 2 today a thought occured to me. I was just thinking out ...
    Ominusrex is offline B-Ticket Holder

After Re-watching Toy Story today a thought occured to me !

We've been watching the 3 Toy Story movies over the last couple days and after watching Toy Story 2 today a thought occured to me. I was just thinking out loud about Woody's origin as one of Andy's toys and my oldest nephew and i started to discuss it further. In Toy Story 2 it is revealed that Woody is actually a rare and very collectable toy worth a great deal of money perhaps. Which means he was probably pretty old as the old TV show demonstrated. So how did he come to be in a room full of newer toys like Rex, Slinky, Potato Head and Buzz ? My thoughts were and i know it seems as if i over analyzed it but if you think about it adds an even deeper emotional undertone to these films. I would think he was an old family heirloom that had been handed down from an older family member. Most likey his Dad who is inexplicably missing in the movies and l would think had passed away or something even though it's never referenced. Which would explain why his bond with Woody would have been so strong. I know it seems like i was over thinking that but Toy Story is a thread that runs through our childrens lives and these films are always filled with emotion and thought so i wouldn't be surprised if a backstory similar to that couldn't be projected on this story. This just proves the timelessness of these films that a thought about something as mundane as that could still be there to ask after all these years ?

Any thoughts ?
    Last edited by Ominusrex; 01-19-2011 at 11:41 PM.

A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes !

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: After Re-watching Toy Story today a thought occured to me !

Kindly put down the drugs before picking up the remote next time.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Kindly put down the drugs before picking up the remote next time.
    Uncalled For dude !

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

You go Supernova, ha-ha. Your comments always crack me up. Seriously, I always just thought Woody was a toy Andy had gotten years earlier. I figured he was probably just a cheap dime store toy at the time ff purchase and not a classic. To tell you the truth, I never thought about it much.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    You go Supernova, ha-ha. Your comments always crack me up. Seriously, I always just thought Woody was a toy Andy had gotten years earlier. I figured he was probably just a cheap dime store toy at the time ff purchase and not a classic. To tell you the truth, I never thought about it much.
    Thanks for the kind words. I sometimes feel like I'm putting on this show for a party of one here. Hey, at least I know I'M chuckling. Good to know there's at least a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominusrex View Post
    Uncalled For dude !
    OK, kid. Wanna get trippy? Let's get trippy.
    It was freshing to see that Pixar chose to stay with Walt's fascination with single-parent families. At least this time it wasn't an evil mother or a single father. They don't get into the back story about where Andy's dad is or why it's just the three of them plus a dog. Maybe Woody was the father's childhood toy before dear old dad dropped dead or was kicked out of his home due to his alcoholism or his time spent with his new secretary. Forelorn and unable to cope with mom's constant sobbing, he spent his time in the attic, out of earshot of her moans, he found dad's trunk of toys and old gym shoes. Deciding to pass on the Pumas, Andy chose Woody as the only connection he has to his pop.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

BethBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder

OK, kid. Wanna get trippy? Let's get trippy.
    It was freshing to see that Pixar chose to stay with Walt's fascination with single-parent families. At least this time it wasn't an evil mother or a single father. They don't get into the back story about where Andy's dad is or why it's just the three of them plus a dog. Maybe Woody was the father's childhood toy before dear old dad dropped dead or was kicked out of his home due to his alcoholism or his time spent with his new secretary. Forelorn and unable to cope with mom's constant sobbing, he spent his time in the attic, out of earshot of her moans, he found dad's trunk of toys and old gym shoes. Deciding to pass on the Pumas, Andy chose Woody as the only connection he has to his pop.
    This is my favorite backstory of all time. Thank you.

Mike Fink is offline C-Ticket Holder

We've been watching the 3 Toy Story movies over the last couple days and after watching Toy Story 2 today a thought occured to me. I was just thinking out loud about Woody's origin as one of Andy's toys and my oldest nephew and i started to discuss it further. In Toy Story 2 it is revealed that Woody is actually a rare and very collectable toy worth a great deal of money perhaps. Which means he was probably pretty old as the old TV show demonstrated. So how did he come to be in a room full of newer toys like Rex, Slinky, Potato Head and Buzz ? My thoughts were and i know it seems as if i over analyzed it but if you think about it adds an even deeper emotional undertone to these films. I would think he was an old family heirloom that had been handed down from an older family member. Most likey his Dad who is inexplicably missing in the movies and l would think had passed away or something even though it's never referenced. Which would explain why his bond with Woody would have been so strong. I know it seems like i was over thinking that but Toy Story is a thread that runs through our childrens lives and these films are always filled with emotion and thought so i wouldn't be surprised if a backstory similar to that couldn't be projected on this story. This just proves the timelessness of these films that a thought about something as mundane as that could still be there to ask after all these years ?

Any thoughts ?
    I think one of the movies mentions Woody was obtained at a yard sale. Not sure.

But your Woody in place of the missing father observation is astute. It is not accidental, nor an oversight, that Andy does not have a father. The writers consciously made this choice.

The 'missing parent(s)' is a common theme in Disney movies. Snow White had no parents, neither did Cinderella, Aurora was separated from her parents, Bambi didn't know his father (until the end), Mowgli was orphaned, Rapunzel had no father (and not much of a mother). It goes on and on. Wall-E even, all alone and left to his own devices to survive.

This choice adds poignancy to the films because you immediately empathize with the parentless lead, and root for him or her because of their unfair disadvantage. It also strengthens the emotional tie between the lead and the existing parent. One reason the end of Bambi is so emotional is because we realize Bambi is on his own now, perhaps too soon in life.

Pixar movies are deep and poignant, one reason why they are so commercially and artistically successful. To some they're probably just funny cartoons, but there's a lot ticking below the surface if we chose to look.

Don't get me started on Up. Should've won Best Picture Oscar if you ask me.

Thanks for the kind words. I sometimes feel like I'm putting on this show for a party of one here. Hey, at least I know I'M chuckling. Good to know there's at least a second.

Um i totally got the joke , I thought one good ribbing deserved another (see my little guy whipping at you ). Did i chuckle ? No. Was i offended ?
    No not really, I don't know you well enough for that !

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

There's a throw-away comment from Andy's mother at the start of the second film that Woody had been in the family for years.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I hope I didn't cause any problems with my comment about laughing, but it was not a good day at work today and 'nova's comment just cracked me up. Thanks for the boost on a lousy day.

Um i totally got the joke , I thought one good ribbing deserved another (see my little guy whipping at you ). Did i chuckle ? No. Was i offended ?
    No not really, I don't know you well enough for that !
    Cynicism with a smile. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by BethBreakey View Post
    This is my favorite backstory of all time. Thank you.
    Thanks, Beth. If that storyline appears in Toy Story 4, I'm sueing.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I thought it was funny too, Supe!
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln