Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Cars 2 Reviews - What'd you think? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I saw that prior to today, opening day, Cars 2 was pulling less than favourable reviews from the "experts" and I was hoping that they weren't stemming from absolute truths. ...
    WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Cars 2 Reviews - What'd you think?

I saw that prior to today, opening day, Cars 2 was pulling less than favourable reviews from the "experts" and I was hoping that they weren't stemming from absolute truths. Well, I really didn't care for Cars 2 at all.

The best review that I found said ‎"For the first time ever we get a sense of 'Let's just knock this out' instead of 'Let's knock this out of the park.'" That's the best summation I've found and my one-sentence two-cents of it is "It was like a Disney Toon Studios version meets Hardy Boys."

There was, however, a few chuckle/laugh out loud moments but those were one-liners from supporting characters and the background art was incredible. There was a few times where I thought I was looking at a picture instead of computer animation.

Pardon me now as I go watch Monsters, Inc. to cleanse my soul.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Cars 2 Reviews - What'd you think?

My wife was reading one review to me as I was driving her to work today (have to cover the office tomorrow so I took today off). She said that one early criticism from within Pixar for the original Cars was that, being cars, they didn't have hands or arms to help with their expression. So they tried to do different things with their tires this time around.

I figured I'd try to go to see the film this morning and headed to a theater near her job for the 10am showing so I could go on with the rest of my day. When I got to the theater lobby, it looked like a preschool blew up in there, so I quickly got out of there. There was NO way I was sitting in a packed house of noisy little brats.

But yes, overall, the initial review she read was less-than-favorable, and they said that Pixar has started hitting a slump.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

I really enjoyed it. I was laughing the whole way through the movie. I think that Pixar did a fantastic job as always, and I don't see why it is getting less than favourable reviews. The session we saw was at 9 at night, so there would be minimal kids there.
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Evilduckqueen View Post
    I really enjoyed it. I was laughing the whole way through the movie. I think that Pixar did a fantastic job as always, and I don't see why it is getting less than favourable reviews.
    Here's the review from the Wall Street Journal:

Oy Story: 'Cars 2' Is a Dollar-Driven Edsel
    Five years ago, when "Cars" proved to be Pixar's first less-than-stellar animated feature, an animator friend offered his theory about why. Cars, he said, can have faces, but they don't have hands; there's only so much you can have them do. To make up for their lack of hands, the cars in "Cars 2" do all sorts of cool things with their front tires, and the 3-D animation as a whole is spectacular. But the movie has its own deficits—a lack of variety, originality, subtlety, clarity and plain old charm. The law of averages has finally caught up with the most remarkable studio in modern movie history, the dream factory that lived up to Buzz Lightyear's joyous cry of "To infinity and beyond." This frenzied sequel seldom gets beyond mediocrity.

There's certainly no lack of clarity in the calculations behind Pixar's swerve. In the five years since "Cars" was released, the movie has sold something in the neighborhood of $10 billion in merchandise—cute little cars, trucks and other vehicles that keep rolling off the toymakers' assembly lines in epic numbers. To sustain such financial numbers—and to pave the way for next summer's opening of a 12-acre Cars Land at Disney's California Adventure Park—Pixar and Disney, the animation studio's relatively new owner, needed a hard-sell crowd-pleaser with exactly the sort of high-octane action and high-decibel soundtrack that energizes—or blights, depending on your point of view—"Cars 2." This is something new for Pixar, a movie in which characterization and deep feelings take a back seat to breakneck pace, and something new for Pixar lovers, including me, who may find themselves wondering if Disney's master merchandisers are starting to call the tune for Pixar's master storytellers.

The story here concerns a pair of American innocents abroad—Lightning McQueen, the bright-red race car brightly voiced by Owen Wilson, and Tow Mater, the buck-toothed, good-hearted tow truck who speaks in the cornpone tones of Larry the Cable Guy. Taking their leave of Radiator Springs, the time-warpy desert town that served as the setting for "Cars," the two buddies head for Europe, where Lightning enters the first of several competitions in the World Grand Prix, and Mater is mistaken for a spy. The repetitive race sequences—vroom vroom vrooming at warp speed—are intercut with a James Bond spoof that centers on Finn McMissile, a supercar with superweapons voiced by Michael Caine, and that starts the action in a preface set on a giant oil platform at sea. (The preface to "Toy Story 3," which was absurdly and delightfully over the top, turned out to be Andy's fantasy. This one, elaborate but clumsy, is part of the narrative.)

From one moment to the next, "Cars 2" comes up with plenty of visual zingers: a Parisian marché aux pieces (as in spare parts); a plunge into the giant clockworks of London's Big Bentley; a Japanese toilet designed to pamper any chassis; exotic cars galore, including such exotic lemons as the Pacer, the Gremlin and what the movie calls the Hugo. And as cool as the story tends to be on a scale of emotional temperature, it does evoke an affecting friendship between Lightning and Mater, one that's tested by driving ambition and a deadly bomb.

Still, this is a Pixar animated feature we're talking about, a film from the people who brought genuine enchantment into our lives with tales of toys come alive, of beguiling bugs, fantastical fishies, impassioned robots and self-reflective superheroes. What's more, it's a film co-directed (with Brad Lewis) by John Lasseter, the man who, more than anyone else, has embodied the studio's spirit from the days when he used a computer to create a pioneering Pixar short about a couple of desk lamps.

By now it's a commonplace that Mr. Lasseter, whose father was a parts-department manager in a Chevy dealership in Southern California, was prompted to make the first "Cars" by profound car love. That film, for all its odd mixture of tedium and frenzy, operated within recognizable Pixar parameters. But in this one, cars seem unconstrained by the laws of physics and writers seemed unconcerned with developing character, as opposed to belaboring it. (Mater gets to be as maddening as that old Hollywood yodeler Andy Devine.) For Pixar's sake, and for ours, let's hope that the fast track of "Cars 2" is a temporary detour.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

mouselover4ever is offline A-Ticket holder

I just returned home from watching it in 3D. The 10 yr old girl I brought with me and myself really enjoyed it. I thought it was funny with lots of visually interesting scenes. We thoroughly enjoyed it and both declared it to be a winner. The artwork was beautiful and the new characters complemented the existing ones. Two thumbs up from us!

That being said, the 3D was just alright though. I think anytime I see a 3D movie I hope for effects similar to what you experience in the 3D attractions at the parks so am a bit disappointed when it doesn't jump off the screen into my lap. It was still beautiful, but wonder whether the 3D made much difference. I'll know that when it comes out on DVD.
    happily afflicted with DOCD (Disney Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

For me, any time a movie is shot in 3D for the sake of 3D, then it's hardly worth spending (wasting) the extra money on the 3D version. The whole idea behind 3D was originally for the effects. So unless there's something coming out towards the audience, then don't bother. Do you really care how far off in the distance the moutains are? I didn't think so.

Box office weekend results, from AOL Movies:

"Speed bumps be ****ed, 'Cars 2' raced to first place on the box office chart in its first weekend on the track. Despite some of the weakest reviews in Pixar history, the beloved computer-animation studio's streak of No. 1 debuts continues unbroken, 12 for 12."

Not really a huge shock, considering the only other debut movie I could find listed was that awful "Bad Teacher". Why are audiences still giving Cameron Diaz their money?

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

DH, DS(5) and I went to see this Saturday. Here are a few of my thoughts:

1) The new Pixar Short (Toy Story) was so so so funny. DH and I were laughing our butts off through the entire thing. It really got us going.

2) The movie was really well done. There were race scenes where the scenery looked so real, so true to life, that for a brief second you forgot you were watching animated cars going round the track.

3) The tribute to Doc Hudson (Paul Newman) was incredibly well done. It was in good taste and it didn't need any more or any less to make it impactful. It did indeed bring a tear to both mine and DH's eyes. Our only complaint is that they tributed him but not George Carlin (Fillmore).

4) Fans of McQueen hoping to get a whole lot of McQueen out of this movie may be disappointed. It was definitely geared more toward Mater.

5) The movie is a little more hardcore than the 1st one. It's still "G" material but "kill him" is a phrase I heard so many times I lost count and there are a lot of explosions and weapons etc. etc. so it may not be good for the little little ones.

6) You will indeed find yourself laughing out loud at certain parts throughout. There was a lot of just general funny stuff (that even gave DS a chuckle) along with some things that maybe only older kids or adults would "get".

7) The big "shocker" is kind of predictable.

8) The new characters have staying power (which I didn't expect) and the old characters are all back (with the exception of Doc obviously) with just enough lines to keep you remembering them (i.e. merchandise for those will still sell). Finn and Holly's characters are a lot of fun with their spy gadgets etc. and definitely will appeal to little boys.

So overall, we really enjoyed the movie. We didn't see in 3D because DS tends to remove the glasses throughout and it's a waste. Still, I'm glad we saw it now and spent the $10 per person rather than waiting for it to come out on DVD etc. It was a great flick to see on the big screen.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    DH, DS(5) and I went to see this Saturday. Here are a few of my thoughts:

1) The new Pixar Short (Toy Story) was so so so funny. DH and I were laughing our butts off through the entire thing. It really got us going.

2) The movie was really well done. There were race scenes where the scenery looked so real, so true to life, that for a brief second you forgot you were watching animated cars going round the track.

3) The tribute to Doc Hudson (Paul Newman) was incredibly well done. It was in good taste and it didn't need any more or any less to make it impactful. It did indeed bring a tear to both mine and DH's eyes. Our only complaint is that they tributed him but not George Carlin (Fillmore).

4) Fans of McQueen hoping to get a whole lot of McQueen out of this movie may be disappointed. It was definitely geared more toward Mater.

5) The movie is a little more hardcore than the 1st one. It's still "G" material but "kill him" is a phrase I heard so many times I lost count and there are a lot of explosions and weapons etc. etc. so it may not be good for the little little ones.

6) You will indeed find yourself laughing out loud at certain parts throughout. There was a lot of just general funny stuff (that even gave DS a chuckle) along with some things that maybe only older kids or adults would "get".

7) The big "shocker" is kind of predictable.

8) The new characters have staying power (which I didn't expect) and the old characters are all back (with the exception of Doc obviously) with just enough lines to keep you remembering them (i.e. merchandise for those will still sell). Finn and Holly's characters are a lot of fun with their spy gadgets etc. and definitely will appeal to little boys.

So overall, we really enjoyed the movie. We didn't see in 3D because DS tends to remove the glasses throughout and it's a waste. Still, I'm glad we saw it now and spent the $10 per person rather than waiting for it to come out on DVD etc. It was a great flick to see on the big screen.
    You said it, A whole lot better than I ever could!

Yes, minus all of the DH, DS, DD, DW nonsense.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

The original is one of my favorite Pixar movies along with Finding Nemo. I never understood why it was as criticized as it was.

That said, I have to admit all the previews I've seen for this one really don't inspire me to go out an see it.

We rarely spring for the theaters anymore (less than once a year, really), and I'm not sure if we will for this one or not.

I nearly went, but it was so overrun with tots that I walked out, and somehow didn't mind not having seen the movie. My wife isn't much of a Disney fan, so she's in no rush to see it. Might just try to find it online and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I nearly went, but it was so overrun with tots that I walked out, and somehow didn't mind not having seen the movie. My wife isn't much of a Disney fan, so she's in no rush to see it. Might just try to find it online and call it a day.

That's why we went to the last session of the night. Only 2 kids there

manutdserg is offline A-Ticket holder

Took my son (5) this weekend. He loved it because of the explosion scenes, but even he asked why there wasn't more from Radiator Springs. I thought it was a good movie, but not nearly as great as the original. I think they focused more on aligning with the international man of mystery idea rather than developing a sequel story.

My fear with this one, when and if I ever get there... WAAAY too much Mater.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast