Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Mousterpiece Cinema, Episode One: Cars 2 in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Hi Josh, Still catching up but have listened to shows 1-7 so far. Looking forward to your take on The Black Hole . I read one of the comments on ...
    weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Mousterpiece Cinema, Episode One: Cars 2

Hi Josh,

Still catching up but have listened to shows 1-7 so far. Looking forward to your take on The Black Hole . I read one of the comments on your blog about Disney movies not being for boys, but that really was what I consider a 'recent' development. Ok, recent, as in going on 25 years now lol. I guess what I'm getting at is that up until The Little Mermaid that really isn't true - there were plenty of princesses, don't get me wrong, but Snow White should be exempt from the list, given it's place in history. Ditto for Sleeping Beauty as it follows more of a sword and sorcery kind of plot line (at least IMO). Alice certainly wasn't a 'princess'. To be honest, the only movie that really seems to fit the classic princess bill is Cinderella.

Of course, once they implemented and refined the whole 'Princess' strategy with LM and Beauty and the Beast they really fell into that trap for many of the following films. And once the whole Princess marketing thing became so ridiculously profitable it started to drive some of the story decisions for upcoming films. I forget when I finally gave up on Disney animation and switched over to Pixar. I think Atlantis was the final straw for me, but it started as early as Pocahontas.

Anyway, thanks for podcasts, they are very enjoyable.

mousterpiece is offline B-Ticket Holder

Hey, first off, thanks for listening to the show. Glad you're enjoying it so far! Regarding the whole princess thing, you bring up a good point. I try to keep things in context, but the Disney Princess phenomenon does seem to have sprung up over the last 25 to 30 years. Still, I think that Disney has co-opted Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Alice to be princesses, simply because they're female characters.

I also think the storytelling got weaker in Walt Disney Feature Animation right around Pocahontas; I stuck with it up to Tarzan, but that was it. In terms of targeting just for boys or just for girls, I think that movies like Peter Pan are proof that you don't have to just aim for one demographic.

Anyway, I really appreciate you checking out the show (and if you are a fan of The Black Hole...well, I can't promise that we'll agree if that's the case).
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

Josh,

I'm not a fan of The Black Hole at all . To this day I don't understand how a concept with so many potential exciting elements could turn out to be more boring than Symbiosis. Not trying to tear down Symbiosis or anything, but let's face it, that was pretty dry. It's a sad but true fact that dissecting a bad movie is much more entertaining than a great movie.

And I do agree about Snow White, and Aurora, and even Alice - they are appealing protaganists - well, Snow White is kind of annoying in the movie - so it makes perfect sense for them to bring them into the lineup. Maybe Disney should start up an 'Animal Princesses' line. There's Lady, and Perdita, Nala, Maid Marian...

Dave

Honestly, I think it's most difficult to discuss a movie about which I don't feel strongly either way. I certainly enjoyed ripping into The Black Hole, but the Ratatouille episode (which is episode 17, so you've got a ways to get there) is one I found a lot of fun, simply by discussing how much I love that movie. Movies like Spirited Away and Lilo and Stitch are more challenging to dissect, though.

Snow White is the first movie I'm reviewing in 2012 and boy oh boy, am I not a fan of that character. And, hey, that Animal Princess line is actually a really good idea, at least based on Disney's shaky definition of "princess."
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

Hey, folks! It's Monday once more, which means there's an all-new episode of my Disney movie podcast, Mousterpiece Cinema, up on iTunes! If you're new to the show, jump right on in. You can always catch up later! The 19th episode, about the oft-forgotten 2004 animated film Home on the Range, is available now; suffice to say, if you want to hear some ranting, you are in luck!

As always, I'd be so grateful if you could write a quick review and give the show a star rating on iTunes. Finally, if you like what you hear, make sure to tell your friends! New listeners are, obviously, always welcome.

You can find the links to the show's iTunes page, Facebook and Twitter pages, and blog in my signature!

Hey, everyone! Another Monday and another all-new episode of my Disney movie podcast, Mousterpiece Cinema, is up on iTunes! If you're new to the show, jump right on in. You can always catch up later! The 20th episode (I can barely believe it's been 20 episodes!), about the 1977 hybrid of live-action and animation Pete's Dragon, is available now; I don't want to give away too much, but my rant from last week is nothing compared to what's in store this week.

As always, I'd be so grateful if you could write a quick review and give the show a star rating on iTunes. Finally, if you like what you hear, make sure to tell your friends! New listeners are, obviously, always welcome.

You can find the links to the show's iTunes page, Facebook and Twitter pages, and blog in my signature!

Hey, everyone! Thanksgiving is coming right around the corner and there's another all-new episode of my Disney movie podcast, Mousterpiece Cinema, up on iTunes! And hey, if you're new, what better way to spend the time waiting in long lines while you shop on Black Friday than catching up with the show? The 21st episode, about the 1991 classic Beauty and the Beast, is available now just in time for its 20th anniversary. (Has it really been 20 years?)

Hey, everyone! Hopefully, you all had a great holiday this past weekend; it's an all-new week, so there's another all-new episode of my Disney movie podcast, Mousterpiece Cinema, up on iTunes! And if you're new to the show, why not spend your December catching up? The 22nd episode, where I'm joined once again by Disney aficionado Gabe Bucsko to discuss the 2011 film The Muppets, is available now--fair warning, though, we do discuss spoilers about what misadventures Kermit the Frog and his friends get into!

As always, I'd be so thankful if you could write a review and give the show a star rating on iTunes. Finally, if you like what you hear, make sure to tell your friends! New listeners are always welcome.

Hey, everyone! With Thanksgiving behind us, it's not only time for a new episode of my Disney movie podcast, Mousterpiece Cinema, but it's time for me to discuss holiday movies! And if you're new to the show, give yourself an early Christmas present by catching up? The 23rd episode, where I discuss the 2009 adaptation of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, is available now. You're familiar with the phrase "Bah, humbug"? Consider that a hint of my opinion.

As always, I'd be so thankful if you could write a review and give the show a star rating on iTunes. Finally, if you like what you hear, make sure to tell your friends! New listeners are always welcome.

Hey, everyone! I'm a couple days late, but still fully intact! As December continues, it's time for me to review another holiday movie on my Disney movie podcast, Mousterpiece Cinema! If you're new to the show, why not take some time over your well-earned holiday break to catch up? The 24th episode, where I review the 1994 family film The Santa Clause, is available now. I believe in Santa Claus, but I'm not so sure about Tim Allen's Scott Calvin.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123