Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Mary Blair vs Eyvind Earle in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Hello Disney Friends! I was hoping to get some advice, research ideas, and just start some conversation about a paper topic I recently chose for my English Composition class. We ...
    disneynurse is offline A-Ticket holder

Lightbulb Mary Blair vs Eyvind Earle

Hello Disney Friends!

I was hoping to get some advice, research ideas, and just start some conversation about a paper topic I recently chose for my English Composition class. We are at the compare/contrast unit of the class and we were given free reign to pick any movie, music genre, or tv shows and make our own papers topics. I couldn't help but think about the Making of Sleeping Beauty documentary that I had seen years ago on my Sleeping Beauty VHS tape from when I was a child.. The concept art from Sleeping Beauty has always stuck with me and the second person I thought of was Mary Blair of course. Now as the years have gone by I have grown to appreciate Mary Blair more and more from It's a Small World to the huge mural in the Contemporary, she is most definitely a Disney Legend.

But this is where I was hoping I could receive some help. Besides the Sleeping Beauty documentary, I could not find much on Earle at all.. I looked on the D23 website, and he is not a Disney Legend, according to my knowledge. As far as I'm understood, his hiring at the Disney Studios was all Uncle Walt's decision. He desired Earle for the motion feature and Earle had strict opinions of the strategic color styling he wanted for Sleeping Beauty. I started taking notes on the film tonight, I'm about 47 minutes through right now, and the colors Red and Blue are very prominent... the color green, black and purple is pretty much assigned to Maleficent. This part of the research is easy.. it's the Disney details on Earle that I'm looking for. Does anyone know anything about him?

The second part of my paper is to contrast Earle's Sleeping Beauty concept art. I would like to do Mary Blair because in the Sleeping Beauty documentary they mentioned that Blair's work was "watered down" in Cinderella, Peter Pan, and Alice in Wonderland. (I slightly disagree with the Alice contribution because I can definitely see her styling when I think of the movie.) But for my paper's sake, I'm not sure which movie to choose. I believe that Cinderella vs Sleeping Beauty would be the most entertaining to read in the end for my reader. I just worry that I will not find enough information on Mary Blair's contributions to Cinderella. I did see some concept art on Google but overall there wasn't too much to be found..

So that's why I decided to come to the forums, I thought it could be a fun place where we could discuss the concept art stylings of Mary Blair and Eyvind Earle. I could easily do a paper and compare and contrast the roles of women and men in Disney films but I'm looking to expand my Disney knowledge and learn a bit more about Disney History. I hope others will contribute and we can get a good discussion going on these two animators! Thoughts, opinions, anything would be happily accepted! I will also post the Sleeping Beauty Documentary link below for those interested in watching it on YouTube!

The Making of Sleeping Beauty Documentary:
    Part 1/5: The Making of Sleeping Beauty (1/5) - YouTube
    Part 2/5: The Making of Sleeping Beauty (2/5) - YouTube
    Part 3/5: The Making of Sleeping Beauty (3/5) - YouTube
    Part 4/5: The Making of Sleeping Beauty (4/5) - YouTube
    Part 5/5: The Making of Sleeping Beauty (5/5) - YouTube
    Last edited by disneynurse; 09-20-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Disney.Gen.2.0 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Mary Blair vs Eyvind Earle

Did you Google him? I found this website about him that way Eyvind Earle

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost

Cool! I am very into Mary Blair and her artwork. I really like seeing her in videos, like the episode of DisneyLand where Walt talks to her about IASW. Or her brief appearance in Saludos Amigos.
    I would recommend the documentary "Walt & el Grupo". If you are interested in that period of Disney history, you've probably already seen it. It's about when Walt took his team down to South America during the strike for a "good will" mission to bolster the USA's relationship with those countries down there. Mary Blair was in this group.

I honestly had never heard of Eyvind Earle until I saw this post (you lured me in with Mary Blair). I'm glad I found it though, as his art looks really great. Sleeping Beauty has, to me, always been one of the absolute pinnacles of Disney's artistic endeavors.

If we can dream it, we can do it

Quote Originally Posted by Disney.Gen.2.0 View Post
    Did you Google him? I found this website about him that way Eyvind Earle
    Thanks, I'll check that site out!
    "Cinderella believed in dreams, all right, but she also believed in doing something about them. When Prince Charming didn't come along, Cinderella went over to the palace and got him." –Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve View Post
    Cool! I am very into Mary Blair and her artwork. I really like seeing her in videos, like the episode of DisneyLand where Walt talks to her about IASW. Or her brief appearance in Saludos Amigos.
    I would recommend the documentary "Walt & el Grupo". If you are interested in that period of Disney history, you've probably already seen it. It's about when Walt took his team down to South America during the strike for a "good will" mission to bolster the USA's relationship with those countries down there. Mary Blair was in this group.

I honestly had never heard of Eyvind Earle until I saw this post (you lured me in with Mary Blair). I'm glad I found it though, as his art looks really great. Sleeping Beauty has, to me, always been one of the absolute pinnacles of Disney's artistic endeavors.
    Yay! Another Mary Blair lover! Yes, I enjoyed that video as well. She has done so much for the Disney company.
    Honestly I had not heard of Earle either, I started out knowing I loved the artwork of Mary Blair and the artwork of Sleeping Beauty, I had to start my research by finding out who the color stylist was for Sleeping Beauty. It's interesting because Walt Disney gave Earle FULL reigns on the movie and it's obvious he did so. I absolutely love Sleeping Beauty now the artwork is most definitely the pinnacle of Disney animation. This was the last time they full hand drawn ink and paint. 101 Dalmations was the beginning of Xeroxing the stills to replicate all those dalmatians. Amazing isn't it?
    If you're interested, in the current Sleeping Beauty DVD, watch/listen to the commentary that has John Lasseter in it. I learned everything I could possibly know about Sleeping Beauty from listening to him and two other gentlemen. It's very good!
    "Cinderella believed in dreams, all right, but she also believed in doing something about them. When Prince Charming didn't come along, Cinderella went over to the palace and got him." –Walt Disney