Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss No Parents?! in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; You have to pay big buck to get that "motherly tone." You know,the one that proves you are in big trouble without the mom using all 3 names......
    SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    You have to pay big buck to get that "motherly tone." You know,the one that proves you are in big trouble without the mom using all 3 names...

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    Hey I do that !!!

and yeah they usually are in big trouble - especially my husband !!

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    101 Dalmations have two parents.
    Lady and Tramp's puppies have two parents.
    Sharon and Susan have two parents.
    Duchess is a mother.
    Simba has a mother.
    Mulan has a mother.
    Hercules has a mother.
    Tarzan had two mothers.
    Sleeping Beauty has a mother.
    Dumbo has a mother.
    Alice has a mother.
    Dash and Violet have two parents.
    They call me "Nana"

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    LOL those go on the other thread girl!

I'm watching the Donald cartoon where a gorilla escapes the zoo and just realized, Huey Duey and Louie (Luey?) have no mom, dad, nor does Donald have a brother?! BWAHAHAHAHAHAAA

egran125 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Haha alright, I think we've already established that a ton of Disney movies DOOOOO have both parents... but there are still a ton that don't, and I still have not gotten a solid answer!! Ahhhh!
    ./.// / Eric /. / /

Darkwing Duck's daughter has no mother.

Becca's (Tailspin) daughter has no father.

LOL.... MICKEY HAS NO MOMMY AND DADDY!!!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by egran125
    Haha alright, I think we've already established that a ton of Disney movies DOOOOO have both parents... but there are still a ton that don't, and I still have not gotten a solid answer!! Ahhhh!
    What sort of solid answer are you looking for?
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Here is something I read in a book by David Koenig (sorry it's long, but I wanted to give you the whole section):

The Parent Trap
    It's the toughest gig in show business: the Disney Mom. From Snow White to Pocahontas, most of our animated heroes were brought to life on the big screen without a natural mother. And even the few cartoon stars who have mothers usually lose them, either being quickly orphaned or at least separated from the mom from the bulk of the picture.

Disney dads typically don't get much meatier roles. Despite often being powerful figures who should have more to do (like running a kingdom), fathers spend most of their screen time doting on their restless offspring. Yet the overprotective Disney dads are hopelessly out of touch with the younger generation - and often out of touch with reality.

Even worse are the step-parents or guardians. Whereas in real life the goal of Child Services is to place the parentless with the best possible parents, Disney orphans are invariably adopted by the most overbearing, degenerate psychopath in town. Mowgli fared better than most; he was taken in by wolves.

Maybe it's because orphans instantly have our sympathy, or perhaps it's because if animated youngsters had parents that were intelligent, practical and breathing, the youths could be quickly rescued or at least assisted through their problems - thereby severely cutting short the adventure and the movie. According to feature animation executive Tom Schumacher, the idealized concept of the single unit nuclear family, if you have a mom and a dad, all the questions of security should be answered for you. That being damaged causes you to take on more independence. An orphan has to mature more quickly. If Belle had a mother who could sit her down and explain that even though Gaston looks good, he's bad, and although the Beast isn't such a treat to look at, he's a pretty nice guy inside, she wouldn't have to find out for herself.
    I think this explains some things.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Never gave this one too much thought. I'm just glad Jasmine obviously got all her looks from mom's side.
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

Haha yeah thats true... but WHO was her mother and why is she nonexistent! That's the reeaaaallll question.
    ./.// / Eric /. / /

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch
    Here is something I read in a book by David Koenig (sorry it's long, but I wanted to give you the whole section):

I think this explains some things.

Wow. I think that is basically the whole reason. It probably has nothing to do with like the Disney company being like anti-parents or something. It's true, taking away the parents just really adds to the entire plot, and if they were there... there would be no plot. Since most of the characters IN Disney movies are kids... the two things that they like basically neeeeeeed are their mom and dad, and without them... they just have a ridiculous life... worth making a movie about! hahaha. I'm so bad at explaining things. Thanks for that!
    ./.// / Eric /. / /

Kimpossible is offline C-Ticket Holder
    There is a great book I read (and can't seem to recall the title) about the role of the female in Disney movies. I absolutely LOVED it because she analyzed the "damsel in distress" being a weakness of the female characters. She also explained that even the role of a mother seemed to be too much of a strength of a woman in the movie. That's a bit of a stretch, but there was a trend of leaving them out for awhile. Three movies in a row didn't have one: The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin. My particular favorite was the sad fact that some of these "heroines" aren't that strong. Ariel falls for a guy because of his looks. Belle dreams of adventure and ends up in a castle nearly married. Jasmine does the same after saying she doesn't want to be a princess anymore. This woman compared them to characters like Fiona and the fairy from Ferngully who actually go out and defend and change for people. I thought it was a great book.

Diznee is offline A-Ticket holder
    I think it has to do with making the character stronger. Sounds strange...but maybe the original writers of stories such as Snow White, etc...felt that not having a mother figure around made for a stronger character, or else...they based these stories on real people who really didn' t have a mother in their life and Disney writers just followed suit. Who knows. I had a friend who asked me the same question and my answer is, "I don't know that one." I too, am known by friends and family as a "disney freak", but I have no idea why most Disney films have no moms.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast