Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss No Parents?! in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Nemo had a mother......of course, she died in the beginning....yea, I see your point....
    DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Nemo had a mother......of course, she died in the beginning....yea, I see your point.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    and all them other fish in the school only had dads.

Kimpossible is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I NEVER thought about that! Other than Dory and two fish in the tank (and Nemo's mom who died), all the fish were boys.

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    I think the absence of mothers or fathers in Disney movies is a way of adding underlying tension to the story, to make viewers, especially children, think "what if I didn't have a mommy?" even if the thought is unconscious and has nothing to do with the plot of the movie. . . . of course I could be wrong.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

vmkplayer is offline <3 ragdollaye
    well they either have mothers or they dont it all depends on the morel of animated disney movies.
    Kingdom Keepers forever!!

vmkplayer is offline <3 ragdollaye
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    Here is something I read in a book by David Koenig (sorry it's long, but I wanted to give you the whole section):

I think this explains some things.
    oh man! i found this to late i could have used that info for school
    Kingdom Keepers forever!!

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    Whoa Baby! Talk about an old thread. 2005, eh? Well since it is up, I guess i can state my opinion:
    -I don't think Disney movies ever had parents, or the minority had parents, because they didn't want to focus on the parents themselves. Introudcing the parents means introducing another character that may take some attention away from the main character. Taking the attention away from the main character may mess up the plot and throw the whole movie of course(as the worst possible thing that could happen, of course)

-Also, why take the time developing a father or mother figure, if they are going to be seen as the backround? That would just waste time for other important parts and scenes that need to be taken care of instead!

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    While I still maintain that I'm at least glad Jasmine obviously got all her looks from mom's side, I think an even better question would be what exactly were the problems with the powers-that-were who put these orphaned heroes and princesses in the legal custody of the biggest psychopaths in town?

Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape View Post
    While I still maintain that I'm at least glad Jasmine obviously got all her looks from mom's side, I think an even better question would be what exactly were the problems with the powers-that-were who put these orphaned heroes and princesses in the legal custody of the biggest psychopaths in town?
    Conceited Ape may be onto something..maybe the "powers-that-were" ran out of town, and left them in better hands then themselves..

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

Oh yeah and:

-At the time of devoloping these characters, do you think they might have focused just that much more on the main characters, which made them totally forget about the parent's, or other figure?

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

alalune042 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'll never think of a disney movie the same!!!
    NADIA

a dream is a wish your heart makes

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder
    I think alot of Disney movies don't have mothers because Walt wanted to show how the main character had to struggle through life with this hardship, but end up with a happily ever after.

Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

nicks_ahoy is offline Jungle VIP
    Totally agree with you it sometimes also is important to the plot to have someone die like Nemo's mom which is why he had the name nemo and Todd the fox's father died to protect him and he wound up with the old lady

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123