Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss No Parents?! in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Alright, so there's prolly been like 60 threads asking this exact same question, but I didnt feel like looking, so i figured id just ask myself. People know me as ...
    egran125 is offline C-Ticket Holder

No Parents?!

Alright, so there's prolly been like 60 threads asking this exact same question, but I didnt feel like looking, so i figured id just ask myself. People know me as a Disney freak, and always ask me questions, but the one i really just cant even answer is WHYYY in all the animated Disney movies... the characters never have a mother? Why people question this is beyond me... I dunno why they can't just accept a Disney movie for what it is... but I still kinda wanna impress them with my knowledge... so DOES ANYONE KNOW?
    ./.// / Eric /. / /

nrose101 is offline Lez Do It!
    Good Question. Although Bambi did have a mother
    Sincerely,

Nathan M Rose
    Owner of MagicalMountain, FlickDirect, Co-Host of The Award Winning MouseTunes Disney Podcast (Keep Babbling Forever!), and last but not least Co-Host of the Magical Definition Podcast.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Yes, true, Bambi did have a mother, but she died at the end! So either they dont have a mother to begin with, or something happens to them at the end. Anyone know why?
    Last edited by egran125; 06-11-2005 at 01:24 PM.
    ./.// / Eric /. / /

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    Well maybe because most mothers are selfless and would die for thie children

and Bambi's Mom dies in the beginning - doing exactly that - protecting him

Tampa is offline No longer in service

"dad.... whatever happened to mom"?

"if you don't want to meet Mr Hand, you'll never ask that again Ariel..."
    Last edited by Tampa; 06-11-2005 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbunny
    Well maybe because most mothers are selfless and would die for thie children

and Bambi's Mom dies in the beginning - doing exactly that - protecting him
    Thats true, but all the other movies, the mother is just nonexistent at all. WHY is that! Did Walt have soemthing against mothers?
    ./.// / Eric /. / /

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by egran125
    Thats true, but all the other movies, the mother is just nonexistent at all. WHY is that! Did Walt have soemthing against mothers?

Well it wasn't just Walt who did that. Look at the original source material for these films....Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Andersen, etc.

A lot of children's literature/theatre does it too. The Secret Garden and Annie come to mind.

As far as the whys of it all, I'm sure there are many theories. I think Marie has an excellent point. Mothers in particular have a way of sacrificing themselves for their children. Not that fathers don't do this, but it's there. Also, I think if the protagonist of any story starts out as an orphan or motherless...the writer already has some built in sympathy for the character.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Quote Originally Posted by Mandabella
    A lot of children's literature/theatre does it too.

You read my mind. I was posting about it too and decided not to so people wouldn't that we're not talking about Disney...

I was thinking new stories like shrek and his chick, garfield, peanuts even PoTC: Black Pearl!

yaay Disney again!!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Analytically speaking...I think that it allows us to feel symphany, no sympathy, no...feel sorry for the character because they do not have someone there like a mother.

wow yeah you all definitely have really good points. I knew that most of the animated movies were just animated versions of popular stories in Walt's point of view... and that was the only reason I could come up with... the fact that they are remakes... so it's not Walt's idea to just not have any mothers in any movies. I was just seeing if maybe there was another explanation. I love how you got all analytical though! That was awesome. Im not one to over-analyze things.
    ./.// / Eric /. / /

Oh and, wow, I know this is really pathetic that I know this, and has nothing to do with Disney, but like every single MaryKate and Ashley Olsen movie has only either a dad or a mom. So... yeah... if you think about it, a ton of stories have a single parent... just to add to the plot i guess. WHO KNOWS. I don't. anymore ideas?
    ./.// / Eric /. / /

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Maybe it is a way to save money...

haha that might be true, one less person to animate, and one less voice to find. im sure motherly voices are more expensive... or something...
    ./.// / Eric /. / /

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast