Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Avengers off to a great start in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; They've distributed the movie. The movie was featured at D23 last year. Every article about it's box office mentions Disney. IMDB and Box office Mojo have Disney or Buena Vista ...
    DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Avengers off to a great start

They've distributed the movie. The movie was featured at D23 last year. Every article about it's box office mentions Disney. IMDB and Box office Mojo have Disney or Buena Vista listed.
    WDW Radio Android App.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Right. They did pay a hefty sum and deserve the profit. But to say that the movie is only doing well because of Disney box office promotion is unfair. I'm sure plenty of comic book nerds out there who have never seen a Disney film in their lives are still seeing this one. And Disney fans who have never seen a comic book movie are skipping this one as they have all of the other movies. This film already had a built in audience. Regardless of Disney backing.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Backed by my observations of the folks who were scarfing up Avengers merchandise at our local Disney Store over the weekend, it would seem that comic book nerds only does not a 200+ million dollar weekend make.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

If there are LOTS of comic book nerds, then yes, it can. Especially when these nerds are seeing it multiple times AND in 3D. This 3D racket is really helping to inflate ticket sales.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

My point was simply that I saw A LOT of folks that I would not classify as comic book nerds (I think I have a generally clear idea of who that description fits?) emptying the shelves at that location. Little boys, and some girls even, with mothers (of all things) that said they loved the movie and were almost as excited. Granted, not what I expected either.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

I'm not a comic book nerd, and I absolutely loved it.
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I saw it tonight and I'm no comic nerd either. IMHO I liked John Carter better than Avengers.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder

The Avengers was simply amazing. Perhaps the best superhero movie ever created and truly groundbreaking. Disney has just announced that they will be creating an Avengers 2 to follow Iron Man 3, Thor 2, and Captain America 2. I'm sure Iger feels like Scrooge McDuck jumping into his giant money vault right now. Looks like Disney's move to purchase Marvel really will pay off. I knew it would. Excelsior!
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

Quote Originally Posted by Zipadeedooda View Post
    The Avengers was simply amazing. Perhaps the best superhero movie ever created and truly groundbreaking. Disney has just announced that they will be creating an Avengers 2 to follow Iron Man 3, Thor 2, and Captain America 2. I'm sure Iger feels like Scrooge McDuck jumping into his giant money vault right now. Looks like Disney's move to purchase Marvel really will pay off. I knew it would. Excelsior!
    Here again -- Disney's purchase of Marvel paid off for one group... Disney. Avengers would have been the same exact film with or without Disney's ownership. And Disney fans are not heading to the theater to see the movie just because Disney can now stick their name somewhere on the movie poster. The Avengers 2 movie announcement would have come with or without Disney. Heck, I would imagine they were filming some of it while they were filming the first one. Not sure why it's bugging me so much to see Disney try to take any credit for this one (not sure if they are, actually, maybe it's just people's perception here on the forums?) but then I have never been one to allow someone to take credit for others' work.

A lot of people I know, are seeing purely because of Joss Whedon. Nothing to do with Disney or Marvel. (As in they are not fans of Disney and Marvel)

Quote Originally Posted by Evilduckqueen View Post
    A lot of people I know, are seeing purely because of Joss Whedon. Nothing to do with Disney or Marvel. (As in they are not fans of Disney and Marvel)
    And I honestly have no idea who that even is. lol

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    And I honestly have no idea who that even is. lol
    He is the creator of Buffy, Angel, Dr. Horrible's Sing Along, Firefly and the Dollhouse. He pretty much has a cult status because of these projects. Joss Whedon wrote, and directed The Avengers film.
    Last edited by Evilduckqueen; 05-11-2012 at 06:43 AM.

Ah, OK. Still don't know who he is, but I at least recognize the names of some of his projects. Put me on the list of people who won't be seeing the Avengers because of his connection.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Ah, OK. Still don't know who he is, but I at least recognize the names of some of his projects. Put me on the list of people who won't be seeing the Avengers because of his connection.
    I didn't even know he was connected to the film until I saw the credits. I wouldn't not see it just because of that. It really is a good movie, but each to their own.

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

As of Friday it made 486 million. After last night it should hit 500 million only the fourth film to do so.
    WDW Radio Android App.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast