Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Disney movies in the 90s in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; So you have the classic Disney movies that Walt worked on. There for a while you have films that are easily overlooked. Then, all of a sudden, The Little Mermaid ...
    Imagineer Mel is offline B-Ticket Holder

Disney movies in the 90s

So you have the classic Disney movies that Walt worked on. There for a while you have films that are easily overlooked. Then, all of a sudden, The Little Mermaid comes out in 1989 and then numerous films after that all made a splash and are memorable. What caused this? I have a few ideas but does anyone else have any ideas?
    “You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Re: Disney movies in the 90s

Michael Eisner...and Frank Wells...maybe...?
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

I believe it's more cyclical than anything else. For me there are 4 eras where Disney (and Pixar) really hit their stride. Not saying that every movie was great, but there was not an extended time during these eras where they failed to produce a great or very good film.

Snow White -> Bambi (1938-1942)
    Cinderella -> 101 Dalmations (1950 - 1961)
    Great Mouse Detective -> Lion King (1986 - 1992)
    Toy Story -> likely Brave (so 1995 - present for Pixar) Not saying that I think Bug's Life, Cars, or Cars 2 are all that great but there has been no significant lull in Pixar's output.

I don't believe that the creative talent at Disney suddenly forgot how to put together decent films during the 40's, 70's or 2000's (for Disney animation, anyway). Rather, I think that team success comes about behind the scenes, takes years to develop and can blossom suddenly. And just as suddenly the magic can vanish again. In the 40's, I think it would be safe to say that WWII and the animators strike were the key events in the downturn of high quality output. The seeds were in place for the 80's renaissance of animated films even before the change in management. And while Eisner, Wells, and especially Katzenberger deserve much credit for getting the animation team to really start functioning again at a high level, this team was also instrumental in creating the disfunction that ended up destroying the 2D animation unit.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Your thoughts are duly noted.
    But, most folks consider Walt's time as being that of the beginning of the classics, and the Eisner-Wells time being that of the beginning of the new classics.
    I was just, purposely, generalizing to be silly, mostly.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

KK movie.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Why do so many folks not like Cars? Not sure I'd rank it quite as highly as Finding Nemo, or Up, but it'd be close.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I enjoyed Cars more than I expected to. The second one was awful, but they did a great job with the first. Up was great until they got to the dogfight scene with the planes. WFT. Finding Nemo doesn't have the re-watchability factor, for me.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Do you have a son? I'd say that might make the difference. Being a father of an awesome kid makes Finding Nemo that much more special to me.

And, as I've already told you before, I steadfastly refuse to see Cars2. If you can't sell a movie with it's trailer, that's usually a pretty bad sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Do you have a son? I'd say that might make the difference. Being a father of an awesome kid makes Finding Nemo that much more special to me.

And, as I've already told you before, I steadfastly refuse to see Cars2. If you can't sell a movie with it's trailer, that's usually a pretty bad sign.
    No sons. My nephew is BIG TIME into Cars (thank Uncle Mike for that one). He always loved cars, so one day I showed him the opening sequence of Cars and he threw his hands up in the air after the race. When I tell you he is totally hooked now, it would be an understatement. At 2-1/2, he knows all of their names, even the obscure ones. The toilet training seat he will be testing out for the first time tomorrow... Cars.

Now, he's also very big into fish. LOVES the aquarium. But he doesn't watch Finding Nemo. No use for it. His cars all have to have eyes at this point, but he refuses to watch his Nemo DVD. He does love Octonauts, though.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

I still haven't seen a single Toy Story movie.

I tried getting him to watch but he wasn't interested in those movies yet, either.

i don't know why but i watch a LOT of Laverne and Shirley.

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I still haven't seen a single Toy Story movie.
    I don't even....

Quote Originally Posted by StewbotTalborg View Post
    I don't even....
    i know it's not 90s but it's old TV not that 90s is old but you get it.

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    i know it's not 90s but it's old TV not that 90s is old but you get it.
    If you had read my post you'd realize I was talking to Mo, who said he hadn't seen a single Toy Story movie yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast