Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Song of the South in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by nicholas thats right. OK, now you're just posting to see yourself post....
  1. #16
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Song of the South

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    thats right.
    OK, now you're just posting to see yourself post.

  2. #17
    nicholas's Avatar
    nicholas is offline Lost in my house
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,376

    Re: Song of the South

    are you a mod? i don't think so. i was agreeing. i'm trying to be nice but your on my butt about everything.
    Last edited by nicholas; 07-20-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: add on

  3. #18
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Song of the South

    It's "you're".

    And try out that nifty shift key some time.

  4. #19
    StewbotTalborg's Avatar
    StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    465

    Re: Song of the South

    Chill just a bit.

    One of my biggest pet peeves is intolerance. Everyone here is just trying to have fun and be part of a community they are passionate about. I completely understand where you're coming from, but he's just a kid. And he's just trying to make conversation.

  5. #20
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Song of the South

    Pardon me. When a 12 y.o. kid is trying to tell somebody more than three times his age what American culture was like in the 1940's, you're a little beyond the point of "just trying to make conversation".

  6. #21
    StewbotTalborg's Avatar
    StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    465

    Re: Song of the South

    So that's your problem? You're upset because a 12 year old doesn't know as much as he thinks he does? And so you thought the best way to handle this was to pick on him?

    Way to be, guy.

  7. #22
    eliza61nyc is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    18

    Re: Song of the South

    Quote Originally Posted by norman View Post
    People need to watch a movie like this with the same frame of mind as they would watching "Gone with the Wind". It's not politically correct but it's what the world used to be and there is no getting around it or away from it!
    LOL. So in the interest of full disclosure, I am an African American mom of 2 kids, I'm also a civil rights kid. my mom was a civil rights attorney in segregated Tennesse. I may not be the most rational because my experiences definitely colors my feelings.

    My main objection to any movie like this is the portrayal of blacks as some how "liking" or "happy" with the conditions. While my family survived segregation and I 100% had a happy childhood, please believe me that never for one second did we "like" the situation or never were we not accutely aware of the degredation.

    Now, would I boycott disney if they released the movie? NO not at all but remember disney is not stupid. It is estimated that Blacks spend roughly 7 billion with a B dollars a year on vacations, that's a huge opportunity. why tick of a large group of potential visitors with a film that's not even one of your best?

    Now as far as GWTW goes, personally I can't figure out why anyone white or black likes this movie. Let see the heroine spends the movie trying to stab her supposedly best friend in the back by stealing her husband, then she lies to steal & marry her sisters fiancee and at the end of all this she marries a man just to keep a roof over her head. Not what I would call a flattering portrayal of southern women.
    Last edited by eliza61nyc; 07-21-2012 at 07:06 PM.

  8. #23
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Song of the South

    All very nicely said, Eliza. I also have no idea what people see in GWTW. I always thought it was a snoozer.

    Excuses can be made that Song Of The South was made in a different time, but that doesn't excuse it. Just because white people were callous enough to think Jim Crow was perfectly justified at the time doesn't mean we should simply accept a product from that age for "what it is". I simply can't agree with that.

  9. #24
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Song of the South

    Quote Originally Posted by StewbotTalborg View Post
    So that's your problem? You're upset because a 12 year old doesn't know as much as he thinks he does? And so you thought the best way to handle this was to pick on him?

    Way to be, guy.
    No, I'm a little more sensitive to bigotry and racism, and have dealt with it in several situations and scenarios. I won't be told by a kid that I should just accept something cuz "that's the way it was" when he doesn't have the slightest idea what it was like.

    If that displeases you, then after you're done drying your hanky I would highly suggest you put me on ignore.

    I don't tend to sugar coat things.

  10. #25
    StewbotTalborg's Avatar
    StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    465

    Re: Song of the South

    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    No, I'm a little more sensitive to bigotry and racism, and have dealt with it in several situations and scenarios. I won't be told by a kid that I should just accept something cuz "that's the way it was" when he doesn't have the slightest idea what it was like.

    If that displeases you, then after you're done drying your hanky I would highly suggest you put me on ignore.

    I don't tend to sugar coat things.
    I have no problem with your position, or with you for the most part, you've always been one of my more favorable people to talk to here.

    What I'm saying is rather than picking on a little kid on a forum, and blasting him about things that were completely unrelated to his offense, you should be a bigger person and trying to educate him with all the different "situations and scenarios" you have delt with.

    I sincerely doubt he would've told anyone on his own to, get over something because "that's the way it was". He was parroting someone else's point of view. If you're going to get upset with someone point yourself to the older people on this thread who originated this opinion dispite of their greater knowledge of the times.

  11. #26
    nicholas's Avatar
    nicholas is offline Lost in my house
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,376

    Re: Song of the South

    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Pardon me. When a 12 y.o. kid is trying to tell somebody more than three times his age what American culture was like in the 1940's, you're a little beyond the point of "just trying to make conversation".
    I don't think i'm smartr then you just because i found a forum. And i know that you'er a lot oldr. and me saying "thats right" is just a way for me to say i agree without makeing a big long post about it. I'm not going to ignor you because what you say is realy good. but if there is somekind of evil disney queen controlling what you do (LOL) then i just might do that.

  12. #27
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Song of the South

    So you agree we should just overlook the fact that black people lived under the oppression of Jim Crow, and simply accept that that's how it was? And that they were perfectly happy and content to do so?

    Sorry, I'll never go down that road.

    Not to mention that I'm fairly certain you haven't the slightest idea what Jim Crow was.

  13. #28
    nicholas's Avatar
    nicholas is offline Lost in my house
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,376

    Re: Song of the South

    what no me? i was saying all that stuff about you. oh and. The Jim Crow laws were state and local laws in the United States enacted between 1876 and 1965.
    Last edited by nicholas; 07-21-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: add on

  14. #29
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Song of the South

    So why not answer my questions?

    I'll ask them once more.

    1. So you agree we should just overlook the fact that black people lived under the oppression of Jim Crow, and simply accept that that's how it was?

    2. And that they were perfectly happy and content to do so?

  15. #30
    nicholas's Avatar
    nicholas is offline Lost in my house
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,376

    Re: Song of the South

    well yes it was just a movie.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My Song of the south DVD
    By BeastlyKingdom? in forum Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-06-2008, 10:20 PM
  2. Song Of The South DVD
    By BeastlyKingdom? in forum Ask The Disney Experts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 12:26 PM
  3. Song of the South to Return???
    By SamIAm717 in forum Walt Disney World (WDW) News
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-21-2007, 10:48 PM
  4. No Song of the South
    By GrmGrnningGhost in forum Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-02-2006, 06:26 PM
  5. Song of the South
    By JEV4 in forum Ask The Disney Experts
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 03:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •