Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WDW Donna
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Disney VHS Movies in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Ok, when I bought them I swore I would never sell....but jeez I have no room for them any more and our VHS player is no more. My question is, ...
    WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(

Disney VHS Movies

Ok, when I bought them I swore I would never sell....but jeez I have no room for them any more and our VHS player is no more. My question is, are they actually worth anything or should I just have a garage sale with them?
    HauntedGabe likes this.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Disney VHS Movies

I'd say put them in a box with a sign saying "make offer".

The medium is long dead. Might as well try to sell a collection of 8-tracks.

To be perfectly honest, I finally threw all mine away years ago. They had all been replaced on either DVD or Blu-ray, so I saw no need to keep them laying in the bottom of my closet...

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(

That's pretty much what I'm thinking too. My kids still watched the ones we didn't have on dvd, but now we don't have the player anymore we are going to get them on bluray as they get released.
    Donna

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Donna View Post
    Ok, when I bought them I swore I would never sell....but jeez I have no room for them any more and our VHS player is no more. My question is, are they actually worth anything or should I just have a garage sale with them?
    We have an Ikea bookshelf in the basement with the VHS that we love stored on the shelf. There are so many that are not on DVD or we never reinvested $$. We still have two DVD/VHS players and one honk'n old TV that has a built in DVD VHS player. We still watch 'um. We haven't bought as many Blue Rays as DVDs but what we are doing now is buying the DVD's with the ability to upload to our family account for iTunes.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

I still have a large collection at my parents house. I love the old clamshell box design and I'll probably hold on to those forever.
    After all, every form of media seems to come back around. I never thought I'd see the day cassette tapes came back, but they're considered retro now.

If you absolutely have no room for them today, I'd say just have a garage sale. But if you can, I'd say hold on to them for another couple of years and see what the "nerds" are feeling nostalgic for.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Right, but how many people are playing cassettes? Very few.

The only analog medium that has any legs is the LP. And most of the people who still collect them are audiophiles playing them on systems that cost more than my car.

I dig what you're getting at, Stew, but VHS won't ever be a viable medium again. And the bigger issue is the degradation of the tape itself. They are degrading due to oxidation as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by StewbotTalborg View Post
    I still have a large collection at my parents house. I love the old clamshell box design and I'll probably hold on to those forever.
    After all, every form of media seems to come back around. I never thought I'd see the day cassette tapes came back, but they're considered retro now.

If you absolutely have no room for them today, I'd say just have a garage sale. But if you can, I'd say hold on to them for another couple of years and see what the "nerds" are feeling nostalgic for.
    We have my DH's Original Atari and all the games that he acquired over the years. Some of games are worth quite a bit, glad we kept the sleeves. It all sat up in a storage box at the top of are foyer closet for over 20 years, never unpacked from our last move.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

That's a digital media. Good luck playing VHS tapes with much success after they've say in a closet for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Right, but how many people are playing cassettes? Very few.

The only analog medium that has any legs is the LP. And most of the people who still collect them are audiophiles playing them on systems that cost more than my car.

I dig what you're getting at, Stew, but VHS won't ever be a viable medium again. And the bigger issue is the degradation of the tape itself. They are degrading due to oxidation as we speak.
    That's the thing, I work around a few people who are in the music business here in Austin and there is a rising demand for cassette tapes. It is completely baffling for anyone who cares about quality, but there are "nerds" (note the quotation marks) out there who will buy anything old that people don't have anymore. Already quite a few bands I work with are offering cassette preorders of their albums. I have no idea how many people can listen to a cassette but it's a novelty and it sells.

The old classic Disney VHS are the same way I think, as the younger generations of twenty-something's and teens get older and start making their own money and becoming nostalgic for their childhood they'll buy their old tapes back. Even if it's to stick on a shelf in their room and collect dust.

I suppose.

Seems like buying an old manual typewriter. Although, at least then you may be able to admire the craftsmanship that went into it.

I assume there are also those out there that have a huge 8-track collection, just because nobody else they know does.

I still stand by my assertion that none of those mediums are coming back.

But hey, collectors are funny folk.

Even I have a hardcore soft spot for Persimmon golf clubs...

That's the thing, I work around a few people who are in the music business here in Austin and there is a rising demand for cassette tapes. It is completely baffling for anyone who cares about quality, but there are "nerds" (note the quotation marks) out there who will buy anything old that people don't have anymore. Already quite a few bands I work with are offering cassette preorders of their albums. I have no idea how many people can listen to a cassette but it's a novelty and it sells.

The old classic Disney VHS are the same way I think, as the younger generations of twenty-something's and teens get older and start making their own money and becoming nostalgic for their childhood they'll buy their old tapes back. Even if it's to stick on a shelf in their room and collect dust.
    You just never know what will become a collectible. We recently watch a video of my son on VHS that is well over 20 years old. I'll keep it but it will only mean something to us. The Atari, most pitched it years ago so now it is a collectible where 20 years ago it was garbage, no value. I have my Grandmothers Victrola and all the thick record albums. Most people pitched Victrola's when HiFi's came about. Gran paid a fraction of what it is worth now. Somethings just need to become rare before they are considered collectible.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    You just never know what will become a collectible. We recently watch a video of my son on VHS that is well over 20 years old. I'll keep it but it will only mean something to us. The Atari, most pitched it years ago so now it is a collectible where 20 years ago it was garbage, no value. I have my Grandmothers Victrola and all the thick record albums. Most people pitched Victrola's when HiFi's came about. Gran paid a fraction of what it is worth now. Somethings just need to become rare before they are considered collectible.
    So from here on out if anyone is asking what to do with their old Disney VHS, we tell them to destroy them!

So from here on out if anyone is asking what to do with their old Disney VHS, we tell them to destroy them!
    Like how you think!