Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Saving Mr. Banks in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by supernova Went to see University last weekend and my wife and I nearly walked out twice. Her deduction at the end of the film... "So it's OK ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Saving Mr. Banks

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Went to see University last weekend and my wife and I nearly walked out twice. Her deduction at the end of the film... "So it's OK to drop out of college because you can still do well in life? Great message." No mention of MU in the article, though. I just hope it does better than that "Turbo" nonsense.
    That part made me squirm too. Wasn't sure really why they chose to go down that road, the flow of the movie would have been fine without disclosing they were dropouts. An uncomfortable message to incorporate. Maybe I am hypersensitive being so involved in education and my parenting message was college-with the only option being which University.
    supernova likes this.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Did either of you actually see the movie, or are you just taking guesses so that you can continue your daily routine of running down a Disney product.

"Back at the university, Sulley confesses to Hardscrabble that he cheated, just as she's notified of the break-in. Realizing what happened, Sulley enters the door to look for Mike. After finding Mike and reconciling, the pair, now being pursued by human adults, attempt to return, but find themselves trapped in the human world, as Hardscrabble has deactivated the door while waiting for the authorities to arrive. Mike realizes that the only way to get back into the monster world is to generate enough scream energy to power the door from their side. Working together, Sulley and Mike terrify the adults, generating an overwhelming amount of scream energy and allowing them to return to the lab. Their actions lead to their expulsion from the university, but the other members of Oozma Kappa are accepted into the scare program the next semester as Hardscrabble was impressed with their performance in the games. They share goodbyes and as Sulley and Mike leave; Hardscrabble tells them they are the first to have surprised her, and wishes them luck for the future. Mike and Sulley work at Monsters, Inc. in the company mailroom with the Abominable Snowman as the mailroom's manager. Working their way up through the company, the two eventually become part of the Scarer Team."
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 07-29-2013 at 06:27 AM.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    What does "movies based on true stories" have to do with "war pictures"?

You said war pictures are popular.

I said so are most movies based on true stories.

Both are usually popular genres.

Read slowly.

Keep flexing.
    This coming from the person who brought up Braveheart, a movie about war?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Did either of you actually see the movie, or are you just taking guesses so that you can continue your daily routine of running down a Disney product.

"Back at the university, Sulley confesses to Hardscrabble that he cheated, just as she's notified of the break-in. Realizing what happened, Sulley enters the door to look for Mike. After finding Mike and reconciling, the pair, now being pursued by human adults, attempt to return, but find themselves trapped in the human world, as Hardscrabble has deactivated the door while waiting for the authorities to arrive. Mike realizes that the only way to get back into the monster world is to generate enough scream energy to power the door from their side. Working together, Sulley and Mike terrify the adults, generating an overwhelming amount of scream energy and allowing them to return to the lab. Their actions lead to their expulsion from the university, but the other members of Oozma Kappa are accepted into the scare program the next semester as Hardscrabble was impressed with their performance in the games. They share goodbyes and as Sulley and Mike leave; Hardscrabble tells them they are the first to have surprised her, and wishes them luck for the future. Mike and Sulley work at Monsters, Inc. in the company mailroom with the Abominable Snowman as the mailroom's manager. Working their way up through the company, the two eventually become part of the Scarer Team."
    Yes. And then rather than re-enroll in any of the other schools they learned about on their field trip, they just went to work. So my wife said, hey kids, why bother with school? You can just drop out and still get ahead in life. When did you change your name from Scott to Literal?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

I didn't go to University, and I'm doing just fine, thank you.
    HauntedGabe and Mo Noyz like this.
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Mike, it's just some folks get tired of the misinformation you and HG constantly present so you can make your daily disparagements of Disney.

There is a huge difference between dropping out of school and being expelled from school. You both know that but refuse to let facts get in the way of a good grumbling.

As a Disney fan, it'll be an interesting story. Just shocked to see them bring this one to the theaters rather than make it a direct-to-video release. Then again, if they went that route, they've have to have cast someone else as Walt.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilduckqueen View Post
    I didn't go to University, and I'm doing just fine, thank you.
    And that is great! I must plead ignorance to how the Education system operates in Australia and how that translates into rewarding careers. My single and only employment experience is our friend with her Masters in Parks and Recreation was snarfed up by the YMCA to operate their Aqua Facility in Australia. My DH niece studied for a year in Australia at an University in a study abroad program studying Mechanical Engineering over there in partnership with the University of Illinois. Here you need a degree to be an engineer. So I lack any further information on what career paths are obtainable without higher education on your side of the pond.

My point was I don't know why Disney opted to bring that into the story line, it didn't need that sidebar in the original movie. Further it doesn't match Disney's employment practices either. Disney does hire students right out of high school. There are several positions higher that high school grads can obtain but there are limits to what positions you can be considered for at Disney if you do not have that college degree. My sons heart has been with Disney since 2007 when he did the college program in the middle of his college education. He knew then he would need to get that degree to move on up with Disney. My son isn't alone on this sight knowing after working the Disney Program that it is beneficial to have that college degree. We also had Scot that spent a lot of time with us after taking a leave of absence from WDW to finish his degree in Electrical Engineering, seeing the writing on the wall that he had gone as far as he could with Disney without that degree. So it did make me squirm when Monsters University took that sidebar that the story line didn't necessitate. Heck, Disney at WDW had an accredited University on their property to facilitate college students to earn college credits while working at WDW. Disney University is a testament to how much Disney values higher education. While I really did enjoy Monsters University that segment of the movie just bugged me.

I look at our Lou too, though I don't know him personally he proudly puts his accomplishments on his website. Where would he be if he opted not to go onto college. It is difficult to become an attorney without a degree and if he didn't have that successful 1st career and author books written for subjects other than Disney, would Disney Trivia books ever have been published? If it wasn't published what is the likelihood this website would exist?

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy

Walt and his family never finished school and all were successful, but they are an exception. Walt regretted never finishing which is why Disney probably promotes and values higher education
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Some firms, celebrities, etc, will take up the cause of education. Who knows. If Walt were alive today, he might make donations towards educational institutions in some of this boyhood hometowns.

Often while I am working in the morning I watch Kelly & Michael. As honk'n wealthy as Kelly is, her regret is she never went to college, her biggest regret.

I talk with my groups each day about the importance of at least obtaining their GED in today's job market. For every job that they're turned away from because they don't have the "at least a..." qualification, it's crazy. I explain that a GED is not going to make them smarter at this point in the game. It's more an accomplishment at a non-traditional time in their lives. I have a Bachelor's and I'm half way through my Masters. Don't ask me WHAT I learned with my undergraduate degree. But still, there was no way I wouldn't have gone for it.

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    And that is great! I must plead ignorance to how the Education system operates in Australia and how that translates into rewarding careers. My single and only employment experience is our friend with her Masters in Parks and Recreation was snarfed up by the YMCA to operate their Aqua Facility in Australia. My DH niece studied for a year in Australia at an University in a study abroad program studying Mechanical Engineering over there in partnership with the University of Illinois. Here you need a degree to be an engineer. So I lack any further information on what career paths are obtainable without higher education on your side of the pond.

My point was I don't know why Disney opted to bring that into the story line, it didn't need that sidebar in the original movie. Further it doesn't match Disney's employment practices either. Disney does hire students right out of high school. There are several positions higher that high school grads can obtain but there are limits to what positions you can be considered for at Disney if you do not have that college degree. My sons heart has been with Disney since 2007 when he did the college program in the middle of his college education. He knew then he would need to get that degree to move on up with Disney. My son isn't alone on this sight knowing after working the Disney Program that it is beneficial to have that college degree. We also had Scot that spent a lot of time with us after taking a leave of absence from WDW to finish his degree in Electrical Engineering, seeing the writing on the wall that he had gone as far as he could with Disney without that degree. So it did make me squirm when Monsters University took that sidebar that the story line didn't necessitate. Heck, Disney at WDW had an accredited University on their property to facilitate college students to earn college credits while working at WDW. Disney University is a testament to how much Disney values higher education. While I really did enjoy Monsters University that segment of the movie just bugged me.

I look at our Lou too, though I don't know him personally he proudly puts his accomplishments on his website. Where would he be if he opted not to go onto college. It is difficult to become an attorney without a degree and if he didn't have that successful 1st career and author books written for subjects other than Disney, would Disney Trivia books ever have been published? If it wasn't published what is the likelihood this website would exist?
    To be an engineer here you also need a university degree, however, having the degree isn't the be-all end-all like it seems to be over in the USA. From what I've gathered from a friend who lived, studied and worked in Alaska for a few years, college is not only INCREDIBLY expensive, but it's also practically a requirement for anything more than flipping burgers or waiting tables. In Australia, if you don't attend college, you can still get a decent paying job (our minimum wage is ~$15/hour, and that's considered pitiful!), you may just have to actually work harder for it.

Even if Lou hadn't become a lawyer, I still think he would of ended up in a career that enables him to use his extensive Disney knowledge and passion.
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy

boy have we drifted off topic!!!
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerguy View Post
    boy have we drifted off topic!!!
    Indeed.

Saving Mr. Banks looks good.

Marry Poppins is a historically renowned film and tales of Travers difficult personality are near legend. Specifically in the Disney community. Which is who I would say this film is marketed to, and considering the number of Disney websites, fan communities and podcasts I'd say that's not a bad group to aim for.
    HauntedGabe likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast