Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Saving Mr. Banks in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; http://video.disney.com/watch/traile...MovInTheatM||| I am even more excited to see this movie....
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Saving Mr. Banks

http://video.disney.com/watch/traile...MovInTheatM|||

I am even more excited to see this movie.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Re: Saving Mr. Banks

Loving SW airplanes.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post

Looks interesting as a Disney fan, but who is Disney targeting with this movie, really? I've asked friends, and for the most part it seems that non-Disney fans saw Mary Poppins once as a kid and never again since. Just like many other movies out there. So the backstory about how Walt Disney acquired the rights to the films isn't going to draw them in. Good move on casting a known actor to play Walt's part, and that might be one of the few things that saves Saving Mr Banks. At least they'll get the Hanks fans, especially to compensate for the lack of Travers fans out there. Time will tell how this one does. Me, I'm waiting for home release. And even then probably a $1 bootleg DVD.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Nobody was around to see William Wallace gather Scottish troops to take on England, so why would people be interested in seeing a movie about it?

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Looks interesting as a Disney fan, but who is Disney targeting with this movie, really? I've asked friends, and for the most part it seems that non-Disney fans saw Mary Poppins once as a kid and never again since. Just like many other movies out there. So the backstory about how Walt Disney acquired the rights to the films isn't going to draw them in. Good move on casting a known actor to play Walt's part, and that might be one of the few things that saves Saving Mr Banks. At least they'll get the Hanks fans, especially to compensate for the lack of Travers fans out there. Time will tell how this one does. Me, I'm waiting for home release. And even then probably a $1 bootleg DVD.
    Never gave it thought as to who they were targeting, maybe me? It drew me in and the trailer did its job, it slurped me in further. Would have been great if they re-released Mary in the theaters just before Mr. Banks came out. When I was small Disney every 7 years or so would re-release films like Snow White, Jungle Book in the theaters to capture another generation. VHS and DVDs kinda put an end to that practice.

I can't remember my kids ever seeing Mary in the theaters but they liked it when they were small and I know my DD has it on DVD. (I never replaced some of my VHS collection when the world moved to DVDs. We kept two VHS players for all the movies we had prior to DVDs and the tapes and players still work fine.) I never asked why she likes it but I think the "magic" and the daydreams of "magic" like Mary's made kids dream about what life would be like...I remember those daydreams when I was small with the TV show Bewitched and my DD still loves to watch Matilda.

Hmmm....the airplane was meant for RT thread. What I get for late night posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Nobody was around to see William Wallace gather Scottish troops to take on England, so why would people be interested in seeing a movie about it?
    War pictures are always popular.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Hmmm....the airplane was meant for RT thread. What I get for late night posting.
    Figured as much, so I let Shamu go.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

So are most movies based on true stories.

Combine that with Hanks star power and Disney doesn't have to contemplate which demographic to market to.

If they get just 50% of the worldwide park going crowd, and 50% of Hanks fans, to go see it in the theater, they'll rake money in hand over fist.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 07-27-2013 at 12:29 PM.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

I'm not one for movie trailors. I usually yawn through most of 'em, 'cause I know it's usually just nothin' but an "all the highlights" reel. But, to me anyway, even though it looks the same as most others in many respects, it makes it look like it goes much deeper and I want to see more.
    That all bein' said, I've read 7 Walt Disney biographies and am very familiar with the story surrounding Walt, P. L. Travers, and Mary Poppins, thus, making me an easy ticket.
    So, yep. They got me.
    Mo Noyz likes this.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

So you're comparing a war picture to a movie about acquiring book rights.
    Last edited by supernova; 07-28-2013 at 01:46 PM.

You might want to crank your reading comprehension filter up to at least medium.

So you're comparing a war picture to a movie about acquiring book rights.
    You might want to crank your reading comprehension filter up to at least medium.
    Reading comprehension... check.

Great article in the WSJ yesterday about the hits and flops of the summer. Iron Man 3... hit. $407 million dollars. The Disney Kool Aid drinkers will state that they did a great thing. This is more a case of Disney 'stepping in it'. This franchise would have made loads of cash, like the Avengers, with or without Disney. So putting the Disney brand on the movie didn't help sales.

The Lone Ranger... miss. $83.6, a lot of which had to have been Johnny Depp's paycheck. Which he certainly didn't earn for them this time around. He didn't add a single thing, nor did he attract tons of Jack Sparrow fans. Waste of time and money including him. Heck, waste of time and money making and releasing this one. To quote the Corporate News section of the WSJ, this one was a "high profile flop."

Number 2 movie of the summer? Despicable Me 2. Not Monsters University. I wanted to like the first Despicable Me. I really did. But it needed to be funny. Very funny. And it wasn't. So I wasn't going to waste my time on this second one. I wanted to like Monsters, Inc. But didn't. Haven't seen it again since. Went to see University last weekend and my wife and I nearly walked out twice. Her deduction at the end of the film... "So it's OK to drop out of college because you can still do well in life? Great message." No mention of MU in the article, though. I just hope it does better than that "Turbo" nonsense.

What does "movies based on true stories" have to do with "war pictures"?

You said war pictures are popular.

I said so are most movies based on true stories.

Both are usually popular genres.

Read slowly.

Keep flexing.

Great article in the WSJ yesterday about the hits and flops of the summer. Iron Man 3... hit. $407 million dollars. The Disney Kool Aid drinkers will state that they did a great thing. This is more a case of Disney 'stepping in it'. This franchise would have made loads of cash, like the Avengers, with or without Disney. So putting the Disney brand on the movie didn't help sales.

The Lone Ranger... miss. $83.6, a lot of which had to have been Johnny Depp's paycheck. Which he certainly didn't earn for them this time around. He didn't add a single thing, nor did he attract tons of Jack Sparrow fans. Waste of time and money including him. Heck, waste of time and money making and releasing this one. To quote the Corporate News section of the WSJ, this one was a "high profile flop."

Number 2 movie of the summer? Despicable Me 2. Not Monsters University. I wanted to like the first Despicable Me. I really did. But it needed to be funny. Very funny. And it wasn't. So I wasn't going to waste my time on this second one. I wanted to like Monsters, Inc. But didn't. Haven't seen it again since. Went to see University last weekend and my wife and I nearly walked out twice. Her deduction at the end of the film... "So it's OK to drop out of college because you can still do well in life? Great message." No mention of MU in the article, though. I just hope it does better than that "Turbo" nonsense.
    They dropped out of college?

You two definitely saw a different Monsters U than we did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast