Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Vault Disney Channel in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I was just curious if anyone would prefer more of the classic Disney channel from years ago rather then the "tweener paradise" it is now. I would stay up extremely ...
    MrBear is offline C-Ticket Holder

Vault Disney Channel

I was just curious if anyone would prefer more of the classic Disney channel from years ago rather then the "tweener paradise" it is now. I would stay up extremely late to watch Zorro, Swamp Fox, and Inl and Paint Club when the change started to happen. Now I don't even have that.

Give me Danger Bay, Donald Duck Presents, and Mousterpiece Theater any day of the week compared to Lizzy, Raven, and every other cookie cutter show.

tiggerguy is offline As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBear
    I was just curious if anyone would prefer more of the classic Disney channel from years ago rather then the "tweener paradise" it is now. I would stay up extremely late to watch Zorro, Swamp Fox, and Inl and Paint Club when the change started to happen. Now I don't even have that.

Give me Danger Bay, Donald Duck Presents, and Mousterpiece Theater any day of the week compared to Lizzy, Raven, and every other cookie cutter show.

I really miss the Vault Disney part of the Disney Channel, but I also liked Lizzie, Even Stevens,The Jersey and Jet Jackson too. These days its too much of the "tween" stuff.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

SaraTheGreat is offline Ooo I can change this now!!!
    I hate that you can not watch anything classically Disney on the Disney channel. It's ridiculous. It's becoming like MTV, music television without the music.

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    I also agree I miss watching old epsd. of the Mickey Mouse club.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Disney Channel

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The present Disney Channel logo, used in the United States, since 2002.

Disney Channel is a cable TV network run by The Walt Disney Company. Disney Channel features family-oriented programming, much of it aimed at pre-teens and young adolescents.

Overview

The original Disney Channel logo in the (United States) from 1983 to 1997.

Launched on April 18, 1983 as a commercial-free premium channel (with occasional free previews) , The Disney Channel began with basic family programming of shows and movies. (It was then co-owned by The Walt Disney Company and Westinghouse through Group W.)

Most of Disney Channel's programming today, surprisingly, does not heavily feature the "classic" Disney characters such as Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Pluto, and Goofy. The characters appear on occasion, especially during the holidays on movies such as Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas, and are also featured on the show House of Mouse, which airs every weekday at 2:00 PM E/P on the channel.

The Disney Channel logo used from 19972002.

In 1997, Disney Channel took on a revamped look and they drop the "The" in the networks name, and splitting the network into three programming blocks—Playhouse Disney, a block of shows aimed at preschoolers; Vault Disney, an overnight block that featured classic Disney shows and movies such as Zorro, Mickey Mouse Club, and The Love Bug; and the most distinct block, running from afternoon to late evening, called Zoog Disney, which was a programming block aimed at tweens (children approaching their teenage years)—Smart Guy, Bug Juice, The Famous Jett Jackson, So Weird, etc. Zoog Disney also connected Disney Channel viewers and the computer, by allowing kids to interact with games and see their screen names on television. The programming block also featured anthropomorphic characters called Zoogs. They begin to carry break interuptions (not advertising commercials, but promos from the network).

In January of 2000, Disney Channel moved from premium cable to basic cable, and some design elements also changed. The Zoogs got new redesigned looks, and the channel's logo (which featured a 1930s-era Mickey Mouse on a black Mickey ear-shaped TV), introduced in 1997, was changed to reflect the Zoog Disney image.

From 2001 through 2002, ratings grew higher with such shows as Even Stevens, Kim Possible and others. Lizzie McGuire became the network's banner show, and remains undefeated to this day as the highest-rating program the network has produced. Reruns of Lizzie continue to outrate competing shows, including those from Disney Channel itself. This led to the termination of Vault Disney and all other classic Disney programming in September 2002.

The only actual spin-off of Disney Channel is Toon Disney, which features (mostly) cartoons either created or distributed by Disney. The ABC Family Channel (originally CBN and later The Family Channel and later Fox Family, founded in 1976 by Pat Robertson), is now owned by Disney and also features some programming similar to the Disney Channel.

Today's Disney Channel runs mostly former ABC sitcoms such as Boy Meets World along with original programming such as That's So Raven and Phil of the Future, both of which have been shown on ABC after debuting on the Disney Channel. Other shows aired by Disney Channel include The Proud Family, Brandy & Mr. Whiskers, American Dragon: Jake Long, Lilo & Stitch: The Series and The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. Additionally, a movie is broadcast almost every night, but not necessarily a theatrically released feature film. The Disney Channel airs new made-for-TV movies several times a year, and those are frequently broadcast during that timeslot. Occasionally, Disney will secure the rights to air a picture released by a non-Disney studio, such as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Preschool programming is still a part of the Disney Channel's morning schedule and includes Rolie Polie Olie, PB&J Otter, and The Book of Pooh and JoJo's Circus.

The channel received a special citation from U.S. President Ronald Reagan in 1984.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

Benjo is offline Cranium Commando
    I never got to see Vault Disney because I didn't have cable during that time. I would, however, love a channel that showed older shows that Disney produced, especially some of the older Disneyland and Wonderful World of Color/Disney programs.

You see the hat? I am Mrs. Nesbitt!

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjo
    I never got to see Vault Disney because I didn't have cable during that time. I would, however, love a channel that showed older shows that Disney produced, especially some of the older Disneyland and Wonderful World of Color/Disney programs.

Man you sure did miss some good stuff. They had all of that and more. Because back when the Disney Channel first started all they really had were the old Disney shows to put on. I think over the years they just change with the trends and kinda of lost track of their original purpose for the channel.
    Last edited by JEDIPRINCESS; 11-11-2005 at 09:27 AM.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    I LOVED "Vault Disney" I was the teenager nerd who would wake up at 3am to watch the shows that Walt Disney hosted or something. I would LOVE if they had just a 'vault disney' channel. I remember some of the animal shows and the old cartoons and also just the disneyland shows and the wonderful world of color. I watched it all. They need to release them all on DVD. :-)
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    I grew up loving the disney channel. I miss the great stuff they used to show! I don't have any major objection to some of their tween shows. What I do object to though is that they play the same 5 shows over & over & over & over! Why not put on some classic stuff when the kids are (or should be) sleeping! I bet some kids might even enjoy the old stuff! I used to watch Nick at Night when they dedicated it to adults! I also hate that the Disney Cartoon channel won't even play lots of old classics! It's so frustrating!
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    yeah, Disney channel pretty much stinks. but, considering my tastes are probably an extremely marginalized section of the entire population of Disney fans, I can't really expect the Disney channel to ever cater to me.

If we can dream it, we can do it

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Maybe someday they'll come up with a 'vault disney' channel or release it on DVD. I think the DVD release is likely because they have been releasing a lot of older stuff.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

MagCynic is offline A-Ticket holder
    Yeah but the Disney Channel now is nothing compared to what it used to be. It used to be, you know, good. Now, everytime I flip past it, it's one of three shows: Lizzy, Raven, or Stevens. I remember when it had good children shows during the day and switched over to even better stuff at night. They had the Labryinth, Return to Oz, and, if I remember right, a whole freakin' thing on David Bowie once (like Black Music, White Tie?). It's all about the money and not the product anymore and that saddens me for the future.

MrBear is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by MagCynic
    and, if I remember right, a whole freakin' thing on David Bowie once (like Black Music, White Tie?). It's all about the money and not the product anymore and that saddens me for the future.
    I forgot all about the great music specials they had. 2 of my favorites were Billy Joel, Live from Yankee Stadium and Peter Gabriel. Some how I don't think Hillery Duff and Raven rank anywhere close to those 2.

AlecTronic is offline Fear The Ears
    all i remember is vault disney being a pun on walt disney.

lovedisprinces is offline Annual Passholder
    I remember always going on trips(where they have cable unlike my house) and looking for the disney channel right away. Now I am less likely to stop on it and actually watch it bc the shows are just so different. I miss the MMClub.
    "L'amour brille sous les étoiles Illuminant leur cœur Sa lumière
    Eclaire à l'infini Un sublime espoir" -so i dont really speak french but would love to would u amour to?

3 times w/i the celebration
    I'm a millionaire who got to the hot seat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast