Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Travel Channel "Fan's Guide" in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; So, the Travel Channel finally aired their "Fan's Guide to WDW" last night, and I wanted to get some feedback from those of you that saw it. I'll post my ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

Travel Channel "Fan's Guide"

So, the Travel Channel finally aired their "Fan's Guide to WDW" last night, and I wanted to get some feedback from those of you that saw it.

I'll post my review shortly...
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    it was ok nothing alot of us didn't already have a idea about. You would have been so much better Lou!!

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Thanks, Kellie
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Hagar55 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I will have to say it was just OK. The people who made the show were just in my opinion average guests of WDW and not the "ultimate" WDW fans they were advertising.

I kept telling my wife during the show that I couldn't wait to see what people were going to post on here about the show. I thought the family with the father who called himself the ultimate fan with the preprinted schedule he gave out to his family was pretty funny, talk about your "Clark W. Griswold" wannabe.

I only think I said "I didn't know that" once during the show, there wasn't too many good tips that in my opinion any average fan already knew from reading any of the books or better yet can find out on any of the WDW message boards.

Don't get me wrong, I will watch any WDW show on TV to get my fix until I get back there later this year, but after reading about Lou's experience with the producers, I think they made 4 really big mistakes of who they interviewed for the show. They could have easily got 4 Ultimate fans from this message board alone who probably know more than all the people they interviewed combined. Just look at how many posts some people have on this site and you know who are the ultimate fans. If you are on here to post thousands of times you deserve to be on the show.

Now I never met Lou, I only read his book, and obviously read his posts, and I'm sure he ranks much higher than the guy with the schedules or the couple who got up at 8:50 am and went to the spa. Come on, it's WDW, go to the Magic Kingdom, do something at one of the parks, you can get a massage anywhere. I know they were trying to show you that you can do anything in WDW, but it's supposed to be the Ultimate Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World giving you tips from the "pros."

My guess as to why they didn't pick Lou is, he knew too much.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Hey Lou, how about posting your video now that we saw the 4 of the people who made it?

Main Street Magic is offline D-Ticket Holder
    my 2 cents (or whatever you deem it is worth) .....

My wife and I saw the show last night and both of us had many comments about the "experts" that they picked. My feeling was that these individuals may have considered themselves experts but whomever filmed them had a plan in mind of items that the Travel Channel wanted to get across and then provided the "script" for the "experts". Now I will not nit-pick about the tips provided and I agree with the previous post that most of the tips are available on the web or books for the average guest. I guess that an average guest might pick up some ideas which will benefit their trip, but I know that I didn't learn anything new. Now don't get me wrong, as I am not even in the same league as most of the posters here (I don't want to sound like a "know it all")

And besides, with all the information provided in this show, I feel that there were times when they might have not provided ENOUGH information. An example would be where they discussed the Sunrise Safari. Oh, they told everyone how great the safari is and why people should try it (except that they forgot to mention the fact that they also serve a dynamite breakfast - and also the biggest fact is that only guests staying in the Concierge level at the AKL can do the safari!).

OK....I'll quit. Sorry because the more I write, the more I remember about the show. It was nice to see a new show about WDW. No, wait, I have one more complaint about what the show tried to get across. The scene where the guests had arrived at the Rose and Crown for dinner. The lady provides her name and says that they had priority seating, and are running a little late and geez could they find a table outside with a view for Illuminations? And the CM smiles and says "why certainly....right this way!" making it seem like all anyone has to do is make a PS reservation and "poof"! A better tip might have been to show up earlier and be willing to wait, not give the impression that it is "just that easy". There were other little items that made me go "hmmmm" but in general it was nice to see current video of the parks.

Sorry for the rant............
    Keep your hands and arms inside the post at all times and remember no smoking or flash photography please!

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    I saw this show last night and while I agree with all of you that it wasn't very good, I did find an upside to it. I go to WDW with my mother every year..(that sounds so pathetic..I need to find a guy) and she won't go on any of the rides like Tower of Terror or Space Mountain... or any Mountain ride for that matter. Anyways, the show like the viewers see a little bit of the ride on the inside, so I am making my mom watch it hoping she sees they are not as scary as she thinks. If not I have to ride them alone, or skip them all together...like I did the last 4 trips.

Disney_God is offline A-Ticket holder
    I saw it, and wans't overly impressed. Like people have said, the tips ere pretty general and the families were far from "experts."

Major goal, and they did it well, was to give people who have never been a general look of the parks and what to do (including going to the boards, how to make dinner reservations, etc).

Not bad, but easily mocked for a real expert.
    Yo ho Yo ho a pirate's life for me....

yensid1071 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch
    I go to WDW with my mother every year..(that sounds so pathetic..I need to find a guy) and she won't go on any of the rides like Tower of Terror or Space Mountain... or any Mountain ride for that matter.
    April, I was in WDW at the end of July with my mom. I gotta say... I felt weird being there with her... I could just here people whispering behind my back, "Hey, look at the guy still going on vacation with his mom!" Oye...

I always enjoy seeing new programs of WDW and whatever park footage they can show, but the "experts" they highlighted, well.... left something to be desired. One of the guys said they're such big fans that they named their cat "Rajah". Ummmm... I have a cat named Rajah too. And a bird named Tiki. And a room full of Disney stuff.... And Disney stuff strewn about the house.... and I'm sure most all of us can claim that too, so his "claim to disney-fandom" is vastly understated.... Anywho, I sorta just tuned out the "tips" and stuff, but watched the footage......

iamdaisyduck is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I saw this not to long ago and was really disappointed. I learned nothing, though the people were acting WAY too much, and that it just wasn't a good as the other Travel Channel shows that I often re-watch

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    an who needs an 8:45am wake up call

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    I made my mom get up at 6:30am everyday we were at Disney...we really could have used the wakeup call by the third day.

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    April, I've still got those two sons.

While Mr. and I were watching the show, the guy with the schedules was talking about his pop up toaster (which I have), his cat (mine's Tinker Bell), his Disney stuff (I have rooms full and the attic stuffed). When he mentioned that they were "bad off" Mr. looked at me and asked, "Did you realize we were 'bad off'?"