Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss Mulan II Gripe (Spoiler) in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; (Just in case the title was too long and you couldn't read it all, there be spoilers ahead, matey.) Okay, so I saw the Mulan sequel not too long ago. ...
    Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.

Mulan II Gripe (Spoiler)

(Just in case the title was too long and you couldn't read it all, there be spoilers ahead, matey.)

Okay, so I saw the Mulan sequel not too long ago. All in all, I didn't think it was half bad. One thing that bothered me, though, and I'm just wondering if anyone else picked up on this/could set me straight if I somehow missed something:

The whole reason that Mulan, Chang and their boys were undertaking this mission from the Emperor was to marry off the princesses in order to unify the two kingdoms in order to build an alliance so strong the Huns wouldn't dare invade. True love took its course, and each of the royal daughters wound up falling for Yao, Ling and Chien-Po. Mulan was about to offer herself up as a sacrifice to the altar in order to let them have their happiness, but in the end, Mushu saved the day by bringing her and Chang back together and teaching all in attendance a valuable lesson of being true to your heart. Great, swell, I love happy endings, but hang on--what about the mission? What about the Huns? Mulan, sweetheart, I love you, but you guys blew it! Without any new bride for the prince of this other royal court, as much of a Dorklander as he may have been, the two kingdom's aren't gonna unify, and the invasion the Emperor warned about is going to happen after all.

I guess we're just supposed to imagine that everything worked out okay somehow, but it seemed sort of like a cop-out, as if the writers said, "Alright, we're tired of thinking. YOU guys figure it out."

Thoughts, comments? Or did I miss something somewhere?
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    Personally, I think it was kind of dumb for the company to make a sequel to a movie based on a legend that had no sequel.

But I still love Disney, and their films
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    I think in the end they joined forces

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    Lol, I saw this movie a while ago too. I actually bought it because it was at my video store, previously viewed DVD, for 4 dollars. So, I had to get it.
    I thought it was cute and enjoyable, but disappointing like most sequels.
    Oh well, it's in the collection for my children one day.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I thought the exact same thing you did at the end... I was like "and then... what? they all lived happily ever after?" The other emperor guy was scared silly of the big golden dragon of unity and was frightened into unification with the other kingdom that didn't come through with it's own end of the bargain? Or maybe they just came to their senses and saw it was in their own best interest to unify and prevent invasion as well? I don't know. It was a pretty good (for a sequel), with the exception of that one little (or big) string they left hanging there untied. What I did really like about the movie though was how it was about preventing conflict, rather than being about conflict. There was only one combat scene in the entire movie, and even that wasn't necessary to the story. it was probably thrown in there just to spice things up for the little soldiers in the audience. I guess all we can say about that untied string is that we're supposed to assume they unified... somehow... for some reason.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...