Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books Discuss POTC:DMC goofs according to imdb.com in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Goofs for Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ( 2006 ) Revealing mistakes: When Jack Sparrow falls into the grave, the print of a modern shoe can be seen ...
    kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder

POTC:DMC goofs according to imdb.com

Goofs for
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
    • Revealing mistakes: When Jack Sparrow falls into the grave, the print of a modern shoe can be seen clearly in the dirt at the top of the grave.
    • Anachronisms: When Jack Sparrow, Elizabeth and Norrington are arguing on the pier in Tortuga, the hull of a ship can be clearly seen behind them bearing a Plimsoll line, which wasn't used until the late 19th century.
    • Continuity: When Gibbs is describing Davy Jones to Will Turner on the trip up the river, his forehead is clear in the first shot, then a tangle of hair has fallen down, then in the next shot has again been swept back.

• Audio/visual unsynchronized: At the beginning of the film when caskets are being thrown into the water, the first casket makes no noise of any kind when it hits the water.
    • Continuity: When watching Will, Jack, and Norrington sword fight on the beach, Elizabeth's nose and cheeks are slightly sunburned. When back on the ship, they're only tanned, and no longer burned.
    • Continuity: When Norrington is running from Jones' crew and falls, the letters of marque fall to the ground, as seen lying next to the head of the crew member he throws the chest at. In the next shot, they are gone and Norrington somehow gets them back.
    • Revealing mistakes: After Elizabeth handcuffed Jack she climbs into the lifeboat, you see a blue lining from the pool under water.
    • Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): After Elizabeth has handcuffed Jack to the mast on the ship, he tries to free his hand from it. You see that as he tries to pull his hand through, his rings look like they are about to fall off but when it goes to a shot of his face and his hand after he has just pulled it out his rings are back on his hand in the right places.
    • Continuity: Before the three-way sword fight on the beach, Norrington points his sword at Will Turner, who points it at Jack Sparrow, who points it at Norrington. In the next shot, Norrington is suddenly pointing the sword at Jack Sparrow, and Will Turner is pointing the sword at Norrington.
    • Continuity: When Will is flogged his shirt is ripped wide open down the back. Afterwards from the conversation with his father to the very end, the shirt which had been ripped apart is miraculously whole again.
    • Revealing mistakes: Elizabeth's ponytail is missing while the crew tells of the "ghost woman," in the first shot, but after the man holding the dress says "She's somewhere on this ship, naked," the camera shifts back to Elizabeth, who now has a ponytail.
    • Miscellaneous: The large world map being painted in Beckett's office has a compass topped with a fleur-de-lis. Since the fleur-de-lis was the official symbol of the French monarchy, it is very unlikely it would appear on a map commissioned by a leader of the (English) East India Company.
    • Continuity: At the scene where Captain Jack Sparrow and his crew visited Tia Dalma, the blackness of her lips changes from one angle to another.
    • Anachronisms: In the scene where Will is on Tortuga asking for Jack Sparrow, someone replies to will, "I think he went to Singapore." Singapore wasn't established until 1819.
    • Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Jack Sparrow presents Tia Dalma the undead monkey (also named Jack) as a gift. However, if the curse was lifted off Barbossa and his crew in the previous movie, why is the monkey still undead?
    • Continuity: When Tia Dalma gives Jack the jar of dirt it's dark soil, but when Jack spills the jar on the ship, it's sand.
    • Revealing mistakes: In the water wheel scene, Jack get knocked out by a bar, then falls out. They get back inside the wheel and fight, there is obviously no bar, otherwise it would block their way.
    • Factual errors: When the Kraken is attacking the Black Pearl, Will sends for rum and gunpowder to be collected, so that the material can be shot, therefore causing an explosion. However, when using the gun in question, it would not be possible to ignite the gun powder, and therefore, no explosion. This is contrary to what happened in the film.
    • Miscellaneous: In the scene where Turner, Sparrow and Norrington are fighting inside the rolling water-wheel, at the end of the shot, Will Turner is seen standing upside-down inside the wheel without holding onto anything or falling towards the ground.
    • Continuity: As Jack Sparrow enters onto the boat, after escaping from the island of cannibals, he is washed with a large wave, which wipes off most of the paint on his face (eyes on his face). However, in the next scene when he is talking to Elizabeth Swan you can clearly see the eye paint on his cheeks.
    • Factual errors: Davy Jones is the captain of the Flying Dutchman in the movie, but the legend of Davy Jones and the Flying Dutchman are actually two unrelated myths. Davy Jones is not reported to be the captain of any ship, let alone the legendary Dutchman.
    • Miscellaneous: When Elizabeth gets ready to shoot the explosives/rum to ignite it, the pan of the musket is open. After the musket was thrown all over the ship, there would have been no primer powder left in the pan. Consequently, the musket would never have fired without stopping and replacing the primer.
    • Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When the men who are held in the bone cages and are climbing up the wall the old man with the parrot is seen in the cage that falls to the ground but then is in the cage that makes it to the top along with Will Turner.
    • Continuity: Early in the film, the map that takes up a wall in Lord Beckett's quarters has no writing. In the final scenes of the film, several location names have appeared on the map.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

mickey n minnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Jack Sparrow presents Tia Dalma the undead monkey (also named Jack) as a gift. However, if the curse was lifted off Barbossa and his crew in the previous movie, why is the monkey still undead?

The end scene of the first movie explains that.

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirates life for me

**sings** I have a jar of dirt! I have a jar of dirt!

"Elizabeth?.....Hide the rum!"

Join the WDW Fan Club!!!

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    Yes, what Mickey N Minnie said... surely they would have been able to figure that one out?
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When the men who are held in the bone cages and are climbing up the wall the old man with the parrot is seen in the cage that falls to the ground but then is in the cage that makes it to the top along with Will Turner

I noticed this as well. The 2nd time I made sure to pay extra close attention to see if he was ever in Will's cage & he is. I believe he was in both!

"What are you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    People that catch these are really observant...or they've seen the movie WAY too many times already. LOL
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey n minnie
    Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Jack Sparrow presents Tia Dalma the undead monkey (also named Jack) as a gift. However, if the curse was lifted off Barbossa and his crew in the previous movie, why is the monkey still undead?
    Well, now we know who stuck around for the credits and who didn't.........

(By the way, if you like this sort of thing, you might want to check out www.nitpickers.com. Those folks don't miss much at all.)

alalune042 is offline Fastpass Holder
    which credits show why the monkey is undead? 1st or second? i never stayed after for either...
    NADIA

a dream is a wish your heart makes

ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough
    1st
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

I didn't stay for the end at the theater for the 1st movie. I happened to catch it on my DVD. It can also pose a good trivia question...

"What are you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!

I didn't notice it until my friend told me there was something after the second movie. Then, I figured that there must be one after the first, and got out my dvd.

Join the WDW Fan Club!!!

Minnie_Mouse007 is offline "Laughter is America's most important export."-Walt Disney
    great now I have to watch PotC: Curse of the Black Pearl again, lol, but I watch my Cap'n Jack in action at ANY time! lol
    ~Elyse
    GO KNIGHTS!
    I'm a baby Knight! UCF '13

hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again
    Continuity: Early in the film, the map that takes up a wall in Lord Beckett's quarters has no writing. In the final scenes of the film, several location names have appeared on the map.

You clearly see the man who is painting the map. Lord Beckett says something about the world getting smaller and the places on the map being filled in. That's why there is more places filled in.

Factual errors: Davy Jones is the captain of the Flying Dutchman in the movie, but the legend of Davy Jones and the Flying Dutchman are actually two unrelated myths. Davy Jones is not reported to be the captain of any ship, let alone the legendary Dutchman.

They wanted to create their own myth.

Factual errors: When the Kraken is attacking the Black Pearl, Will sends for rum and gunpowder to be collected, so that the material can be shot, therefore causing an explosion. However, when using the gun in question, it would not be possible to ignite the gun powder, and therefore, no explosion. This is contrary to what happened in the film.

Maybe you can't do it with a musket, but as far as I know, if you shot a keg of gun powder it would explode.

Continuity: When Tia Dalma gives Jack the jar of dirt it's dark soil, but when Jack spills the jar on the ship, it's sand.

I thought it was always sand.

Miscellaneous: The large world map being painted in Beckett's office has a compass topped with a fleur-de-lis. Since the fleur-de-lis was the official symbol of the French monarchy, it is very unlikely it would appear on a map

The fleur-de-lis is on the Crown Jewels of both Scotland and England, and has been an heraldic device of those monarchies for centuries.

Anachronisms: In the scene where Will is on Tortuga asking for Jack Sparrow, someone replies to will, "I think he went to Singapore." Singapore wasn't established until 1819.
    Straight from Wikipedia: Singapore was established.
    The first records of Singapore's existence are in Chinese texts from the 3rd century AD. The island was an outpost of the Sumatran Srivijaya empire and originally bore the Javanese name Temasek (which means sea town). Temasek rose to become a significant trading city, but subsequently declined. There are few remnants of old Temasek in Singapore, but archaeologists in Singapore have uncovered evidence of the civilization, as well as other settlements. Between the 16th and early 19th centuries, Singapore was a part of the Sultanate of Johore. During the Malay-Portugal wars in 1617, Singapore was set ablaze by Portuguese troops.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

Princess Sarah is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey n minnie

The end scene of the first movie explains that.
    I was about to say the same thing! Did anyone else see the last scene of DMC? To me and Casssie, it was a great relief. We were worried about the poor thing!
    You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore.
    -Randy Pausch

University of South Carolina '11
    We hail thee, Carolina...

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Sarah
    I was about to say the same thing! Did anyone else see the last scene of DMC? To me and Casssie, it was a great relief. We were worried about the poor thing!
    Yeah, I saw it.
    It was cute.
    But the credits are just so long.

Join the WDW Fan Club!!!

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Going back to the concept of gunpowder/rum exploding from a musket shot, it just doesn't work that way. Blackpowder requires some kind of a flash or spark to get set off, and a musketball punching a hole in a keg from any kind of distance just isn't likely to get the job done alone.

Then again, going back to the original flick for a sec, the Pearl was assaulting the fort with explosive shells. Sailing vessels in those days didn't have that kind of artillery available to them (and wouldn't until the 1840s, although even up until just after the American Civil War, explosive projectiles were still just coming online).

Still, it did look cooler than a ball of iron just bouncing off a rock wall......

(Oh, and as for Wikipedia, they're not always known for the spot-on accuracy of their information. The journalist fact-checkers I've met strongly suggest we get a second opinion if we're looking up exact details with those folks.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast