Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Scrapbooking Discuss Questions about scrapbooking styles in the Disneyana forums; I am relatively new to scrapping ( i did my first book about 5 years ago while still in college). I have been noticing that there seems to be two ...
    disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe

Questions about scrapbooking styles

I am relatively new to scrapping ( i did my first book about 5 years ago while still in college). I have been noticing that there seems to be two basic scrapbooking styles....1) simple layouts, lots of pictures, lots of journaling, minimal embellishments and 2) complex layouts, fewer pics/ journaling, lotsa embellishments. When I started out I was defintley more of the "simple" type, but find that as I get more and more into it my pages are becoming more and more complex
    I know that Creative memories has a line of scrap supplies/ paper etc that tend towards the first scrapping style. Does anyone know of a mail order company that does more complex stuff? I am only asking b/c our local scap store just went out of business ( which is quite suprising considering how much i spent there every month!) and I am hurting for supplies!
    Has anyone else noticed the two distinct styles that I mentioned? Which style do you prefer and why?
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Nenny_Mouse is offline Fastpass Holder
    I guess my "style" is my own, just like scrapbooking should be just that- your own creation. i do the "in between" style i guess. i like embellishments and i like plain. im NOT big on journaling. i will try any technigue once. i love taking classes that makes the extravegant pages but hardly ever spend "hours" doing them myself. i do tend to "scraplift" ideas more than create my own, but i dont "copy" them to a T. i just do what i like, what ever "strikes" me when im scrapping or what ever good materials i happen to find.

now as for the mail order things you were asking about... my mom subscribes to scrapbooks etc. magazine and in the january 2007 issue they have an article on scrapbook kit clubs you can get monthly sent to your house. i havent looked at them yet, but here they are:

www.poppylink.com
    www.littleredscrapbook.com
    www.coordinatescollections.com
    www.scrapbookobsessions.com
    www.jennibowlin.com
    www.self-addressed.com
    www.scrapgoods.com
    www.simplycardstock.com
    www.clubscrap.com

if any one has done these id like your opinions on what you think of them!

hope this helps! karen
    Karen S.K. fellow scrapbooker and disney addict since September 12th, 1985

It all started with a mouse..... and noone in my family can stop it!!!:mickey:

Thanks Karen...these look great!!

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Fran98765 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I think the different styles is what makes pages great! Each of us has greatly different personalities, some of us are ornate and take a lot of time and care on things and some of us are much more straight to the point and minimalistic. For me personally, I usually do simple pages, when I did paper, I got photos, paper and some stickers and plopped them all on, sometimes a little extra embellishments, but that wasn't where my talent was. I always try to have a good amount of journalling, as that is very important to me, if I forget the stories of what was going on, I can look at my scrapbook to help me remember.

I have noticed in digital scrapping, that frequently the story gets left behind and people make these beautiful layouts that are very artsy and they look wonderful, but I feel that a lot of times the journalling and story gets left out on them. I want my pages to be able to be read by my kids in the future or even to strangers now, and they can understand a bit more about our family.
    Fran's Scrapping Blog - see my layouts and find occasional freebies!
    1977 Offsite / 1993 Offsite / 2000 POFQ & Disney Magic / 2004 Coronado Springs / 2005 All Star Sports / 2006 January Wilderness Lodge / 2006 September Pop Century / 2007 Pop Century / 2008 June Wilderness Lodge / 2008 September Pop Century / 2009 July All Star Sports

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Hi Fran. Can I assume by your signature that you are expecting a special delivery in a little over 100 days?

I tend to scrap with boxes in a line. Everything has to be symetrical.
    They call me "Nana"

Yep, baby girl is due at the end of April.
    1977 Offsite / 1993 Offsite / 2000 POFQ & Disney Magic / 2004 Coronado Springs / 2005 All Star Sports / 2006 January Wilderness Lodge / 2006 September Pop Century / 2007 Pop Century / 2008 June Wilderness Lodge / 2008 September Pop Century / 2009 July All Star Sports

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    April....what a wonderful month! It also makes a good name! LOL

Congrats on the baby...your first??

I've heard about digital scrapbooking..what is it? Where can I learn more about it?

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    April is a wonderful month for a baby girl to be born. However, I would name her T-Nina.
    They call me "Nana"

This will be my second, my son will be 4 in a few days. No, not gonna name her T-Nina

Digital scrapping is using your computer for your layouts instead of paper. There are some wonderful sites with info and tutorials, if you Google "free digital scrapbooking" you will get tons of hits to explore. A couple of my favorites are:

http://www.digitalscrapbookplace.com/ (tutorials, freebies, pay kits)
    http://freedigitalscrapbooking.com/ (no tutorials, but tons of free stuff)
    http://www.scrapgirls.com/ (lots of tutorials, some freebies, lots of pay kits, drawback is they cater somewhat to Photoshop users and Photoshop costs $600+ and I use the much cheaper Paint Shop Pro)

There are hundreds more out there, but those are my most frequent, especially the 2 with the tutorials. They also both offer online classes but you have to pay to join those.

hugemickeyfan is offline A-Ticket holder
    [
    I tend to scrap with boxes in a line. Everything has to be symetrical.[/quote]

I agree totally. I usually put everything very square and symetrical. Every now and then I turn pictures at an angle but I usually go straight and simple. I am not very good at journalling but I am making it more of a priority in my current Disney album. Someday (hopefully not soon!!!) I will be old and I want to remember as much as I can. I am hoping that 2007 will be the year I get almost caught up and maybe spruce up my layouts a little!!

Huge Mickey Fan

PinkTink918 is offline If I was goin' anywhere, I was run-ning!
    I'm born at the end of April! The 20th, to be exact!

thesnowwhite is offline A-Ticket holder
    I would highly recommend www.twopeasinabucket.com You can shop from there as well as look at the best member gallery that I have found is the best on the web. You can go into the peanut gallery and pick a theme (like Disney) and all the layouts with Disney related things come up. It is awesome!
    You can look me up on there if you want and that would show you my style...I am thesnowwhite I know I have a definite style and I am ok with that. Mine is somewhat inbetween the simple and complex. I am also a very cheap scrapbooker, so I don't do creative memories. I get alot from Michaels, Walmart, and if you are American, your Target stores have some absolutely great deals! Also look at your local dollar stores. Mine recently has had some of the best craft stuff!!!
    That is my 2 cents worth...
    Good luck
    Shari

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie View Post
    Hi Fran. Can I assume by your signature that you are expecting a special delivery in a little over 100 days?

I tend to scrap with boxes in a line. Everything has to be symetrical.
    LOL....you just wanna know so you can be a surrogate grandma

Thank you for the info on digital scrapping. Some of those pages from those sites look really neat but I dont have the programming to complete them (or the technical knowhow)so I will stick to doing it by hand. I like cutting and glueing stuff. LOL I do print out my pictures on regular paper(not photo) a lot. It gives the pages a different look and is TONS easier to handle then photo paper. Plus reg paper is also cheaper to buy. I have the original photos put away so if anyone reallllllllllly has the need to look at photographic paper I will dig them out.

As for my style....I do what I want. On occaision I will copy the layout but usually do my own thing with embellishments (which I dont use a lot of 3-d ones, mainly because I cant afford them) or journaling (which I use but not in excess) I could care less if anyone likes my pages or not because they are mainly for me to enjoy. Scrapbooking is an art not a science and as such you are free to express yourself as you see fit.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Quote Originally Posted by thesnowwhite View Post
    I would highly recommend www.twopeasinabucket.com You can shop from there as well as look at the best member gallery that I have found is the best on the web. You can go into the peanut gallery and pick a theme (like Disney) and all the layouts with Disney related things come up. It is awesome!
    You can look me up on there if you want and that would show you my style...I am thesnowwhite I know I have a definite style and I am ok with that. Mine is somewhat inbetween the simple and complex. I am also a very cheap scrapbooker, so I don't do creative memories. I get alot from Michaels, Walmart, and if you are American, your Target stores have some absolutely great deals! Also look at your local dollar stores. Mine recently has had some of the best craft stuff!!!
    That is my 2 cents worth...
    Good luck
    Shari
    OOOOO....I love the dollar stores for supplies....tons of neato stuff that even the local scrapbook store does not carry.

We need to start a cheap scrapbookers club. Requirements, If you spend more then a buck to make a page you are not allowed in. LOL
    Seriously...I rarely spend more then that on a page, not counting the ink I use to print the pics.

OH MY GOSH.....You all have to go look at her pages...they are fantastic I only went thru 2 pages for now, but Shari I am highly impressed. Keep doing your own thing. Do you mind if I scraplift a few layouts for my own personal use? Did you hand cut the AK logo? My fav is the Devine one---soooooo beautiful. LOL..of course I looked at as many Disney ones of yours that I could. LOL Oh and the grandma one is perfect the way it is.
    Last edited by vixen101485; 01-05-2007 at 05:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast