Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Scrapbooking Discuss How to make a Pocket in the Disneyana forums; Pockets are a wonderful thing. We love them on our clothes and in our bags and they just keep everything in their place. And sometimes they can add a decorative ...
    Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius

How to make a Pocket

Pockets are a wonderful thing. We love them on our clothes and in our bags and they just keep everything in their place. And sometimes they can add a decorative element to the look of something. So if all that can apply to our clothes and accessories, why not our craft projects?

Pockets have many uses in our creative lives. In scrapbooking they can:
    - Turn an entire page into one pocket to hold cards from an event.
    - Use a smaller pocket to hold a park or movie ticket
    - Make pockets to hold tags with journaling on them

In card making:
    - Instead of having a card open like normal, have a tag pull out with the writing or sentiment on it
    - You can make a pocket to hold a gift card for a creative solution to the gift card holders a store gives you

Making a pocket is very simple. All you need is 2 pieces of paper, something to attach the pocket to the page and a decorative element such as ribbon, buttons, or brads.

Take the piece of paper that will be the outside of the pocket and trace around the item going into it leaving AT LEAST 1/8 of an inch on the sides. Adhere the pocket to the base paper. Remember not to leave spaces between the adhesive, or the items will fall out.

To adhere the pocket you could use:
    - Regular adhesive - this is only an option if the item going into the pocket is very thin
    - Foam dots or tape this gives the pocket a little lift, allowing for larger items to fit in the pocket
    - Craft foam Inexpensive foam that you can find at a craft store or Walmart that you can cut into strips and add adhesive to both sides to make your own foam dots. :$$:
    - Staples
    - Stitching you can use a sewing machine or needle and thread to stitch the pocket to the base paper.
    - Tacky Tape This is my favorite tape for making a pocket. It is a strong double-sided adhesive that is on a roll. It is a little on the thin side, but I tend to not make pockets for thicker items. It is not expensive (my store sells a roll of the 1/4 inch for around $1.99) This adhesive is also good for holding metal items and beads.

Use ribbon, buttons, or whatnot to decorate the top of the pocket that was not attached to the base paper. This makes it easy to see that there is a pocket on the page.

Nenny_Mouse is offline Fastpass Holder
    i used the mickey folder they give yu when yu check in at the disney resorts as a pocket. i took the part that looks like his shorts and cut it off the folder and attached it to black paper with double sided tape. then i taped our passes, a stamp i got from a very nice CM and the panphlet that held our disney passes. i attached a picture of it here.
    Last edited by Nenny_Mouse; 01-24-2007 at 09:39 PM.
    Karen S.K. fellow scrapbooker and disney addict since September 12th, 1985

It all started with a mouse..... and noone in my family can stop it!!!:mickey:

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    VERY cool pocket idea. I bet you will find one that looks VERY similar to that in one of my scrapbooks in the near future! (Thanks for the idee!)

Suiteliferoxs is offline I'm back and im ready to post!
    yeah like minnie said great idea!
    Got Disney?

Nenny_Mouse is offline Fastpass Holder
    ty both for the compliments!
    Karen S.K. fellow scrapbooker and disney addict since September 12th, 1985

It all started with a mouse..... and noone in my family can stop it!!!:mickey:

Tinkgirl is offline Thanks for the Memories :3
    huh
    TinkGirl
    2007-2009
    I may come back full swing one day, foolish mortals, maybe one day.

Tinkgirl is offline Thanks for the Memories :3
    Ohhhhhhhh.Now I gotha
    TinkGirl
    2007-2009
    I may come back full swing one day, foolish mortals, maybe one day.