Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Scrapbooking Discuss What is Scrapbooking exactly? in the Disneyana forums; Am just back from WDW and I bought a scrapbook and some papers and stuff cos it seemed like a good idea at the time! Now I am home, and ...
    tasha36 is offline Dreaming....

Question What is Scrapbooking exactly?

Am just back from WDW and I bought a scrapbook and some papers and stuff cos it seemed like a good idea at the time! Now I am home, and I have no idea of what I am meant to do. Scrapbooking isn't something I have come across before and I would appriciate any advice/tips/ideas that all you clever people can give me. I would like to end up with something thar really celebrates our wonderful holiday.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    My way of thinking on scrapbooking. It is an art and not a science. You can be as fancy as you like or make them as simple as one of those little saying bubbles stickers on the pictures. There are no set cut and dried rules on how to scrapbook, whatever you like you do. Dont worry about if someone elses looks different then what you do, that is what makes yours unique and special. You also dont need to spend a fortune unless you want to.

I am sure Stitch can link you to a very nice site on the history of it, which in itself is very interesting. I did a search on it once.

ONE MAJOR WORD OF ADVICE.....DONT USE YOUR ORIGINAL PHOTOS ON THE PAGE. Copy them either on your computer (photo paper or regular paper-I like the regular paper..gives it a different look, doesnt use as much ink, and is easier to cut) You can have copies made at the photo shop too.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY SCRAPPING!

hugemickeyfan is offline A-Ticket holder
    I like to view Scrapbooking as the keeper of great memories. I agree there are no rules to go by. My words of advise would be to sit down first and organize. Group your photos together by theme or a group of things. However you want to put them together on a page. From there I usually decide what supplies to use for each page. Then begin placing pictures and stickers on the paper. If you really want some great get started advice go to your local scrapbook store and see if they have a scrapping area with other scrappers working on there projects. Most people are helpful with layouts or ideas. If that doesn't work, you can always come back to these boards for help. We are more than willing to help out a fellow scrapper. There are lots of pages in the galleries to look at for inspiration. Good Luck with your book!

Huge Mickey Fan

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    My scrapbook store offers a beginners class or a 'getting started' class. I've never taken it because the store is an hour away from my house. I just keep a running list of everything I need (want) and get a boat load at a time. But one of these days....

turkeymama is offline Christmas Shopping Rules!
    I second that idea of getting your thoughts organized first. You can organize your pages by parks, character greetings,.... anything you want. Once you decide, then you can organize your photos by that. Look at idea books too, if it helps get you started. Just don't think your book has to look exactly like the idea books. Everyone scraps differently.
    "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
    Walt Disney

Here ya go tasha. I wanted to refresh my memory on it myself so I did a search for ya.
    History of Scrapbooking

by Debbie Hamman

I know we have mostly rubber stamp artists among us, but I thought you might enjoy a little history on scrapbooking. The information comes from the Encyclopedia of Ephemera.

Long before anyone ever heard of acid free, scrapbooks have been apart of culture. The scrapbook was devised to display a wide range of minor mementoes. It housed items like feathers, paper cuts, dried seaplants, poems, pressed flowers and other graphic ephemera. The name for the album was The Common Place Book. The word scrapbook did not appear till the 1830's. Memory albums which are used today was coined in the early 1990's.

The scrap collecting craze started in 1826 due in part to a published book by John Poole which was titled Manuscript Gleanings and Literary Scrapbook. It presented creative ways to display poems, journal writings, and plain old scraps. The first scrap album appeared on the market in 1836. It had ornate covers, separate title pages, and frames. Early albums had decorative labels, products from scrap publishers, and simple ads.

Scrapbooks began in Germany. They had no cut-outs or cropped pictures. Printed pictures were etched, engraves or litographed. When they got to Victorian England, even Queen Victoria had a scrapbook to display in the royal palace.

Die cutting and stamping appeared in albums by the 1870's. Companies began producing images just for the album makers. With the invention of the camera in the 1880's, photos appeared on the pages. George eastman and the Kodak camera revolutionized scrapbook design.

So when you watch Carol Duvall and see all those cool scrapbook pages, remember the phrase---what's old is new again. The scrapbook magazines should take a page from history. Die-cuts and page layout has been around for over 100 years. Even with all the hours and money that goes into this hobby, try to remember the memories of family and friends might be a bit more important than the materials used to create the album.

This is the site it came from ...some neat info on there including organizing.
    http://www.littlebit.com/ideas_scrap/history_scrap.html
    Last edited by vixen101485; 09-05-2006 at 12:36 AM.

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    To me, scrapbooking is taking a photo album and making a story and art about it.
    My disney trips are memorialized by pictures, but when you add the journaling and all the frames and colors, you can bring yourself back to that moment in your trip and bring a lot of smiles to your own face.
    Also, when someone views your book, they have the story and background that goes with everything, you don't have to sit there and explain every picture.
    It is your own creation, simple, complicated, scraplifted - it is all good.
    I would recommend a beginners class, it would be good for you to learn some things that you should and should not do - such as using archaic materials and make sure to use the appropriate glue - elmers regular school glue could eat away at your pictures, using the right paper is important too. If you do copy your pictures from your computer, make sure to use the right ink and paper....just little things like that can be very important in the life of your scrapbool.

All in all, it is a wonderful way to express yourself and to save all the memories from your trip! HAVE FUN!!!
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

zcook9 is offline Not close enough to the magic!
    Quote Originally Posted by GaRain View Post
    To me, scrapbooking is taking a photo album and making a story and art about it.
    My disney trips are memorialized by pictures, but when you add the journaling and all the frames and colors, you can bring yourself back to that moment in your trip and bring a lot of smiles to your own face.
    Also, when someone views your book, they have the story and background that goes with everything, you don't have to sit there and explain every picture.
    It is your own creation, simple, complicated, scraplifted - it is all good.
    I would recommend a beginners class, it would be good for you to learn some things that you should and should not do - such as using archaic materials and make sure to use the appropriate glue - elmers regular school glue could eat away at your pictures, using the right paper is important too. If you do copy your pictures from your computer, make sure to use the right ink and paper....just little things like that can be very important in the life of your scrapbool.

All in all, it is a wonderful way to express yourself and to save all the memories from your trip! HAVE FUN!!!
    You are sooo right.

To me, it imortalizes (is that a word? ) moment in time, weather that be a look, something special about you (your family), a day or even an entire vacation, that you want to remember and share... and you get to personalize it.
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

"What is Scrapbooking exactly???"

IT'S AN ILLNESS! AN ADDICTION!! But... A LOT OF FUN!!!

michelle320 is offline A-Ticket holder
    <<To me, scrapbooking is taking a photo album and making a story and art about it.>>

I love GaRain's description of a scrapbook. It's a great way to define a scrapbook or album. I look at photo albums that my dad put together from decades ago and I know very little of who or what's going on in the photos. A scrapbook allows us to record our life events so we have them for the future. A picture is worth a thousand words but it's nice to have the right ones to explain exactly what's going on! Also putting little bits and pieces that we have picked up along the way can really trigger a memory.

I agree with the rest of the gang, if you can find a beginners class to take, go for it. Many craft stores have classes. Do you have a Micheals or a Hobby Lobby near by? I'm betting AC Moore holds classes too. Or go to www.creatingkeepsakes.com and at the bottom of their page there is a link for a "store locator". Once you are on the page you just type in your zip code and it finds the nearest stores within 100 miles.

Another great site is called www.twopeasinabucket.com, it's a wealth of layouts for your viewing. Join the group, there's no cost. Once there go to their "search gallery" link and click. A menu will come up and all you need to do is scroll down to the word "Disney" and click search. Hundreds of layouts will appear! Go through them page by page and you'll get an idea of how people are scrapping their Disney pages. You'll be inspired!

There are plenty of Disney themed products too! Many new ones are being released this September. You can find those items on the internet if you can't find them in the stores. I'm sure anyone on this message board will be happy to help!

Good luck on your new venture! It's addicting, a lot of fun, and you have a wonderful heirloom keepsake when you've finished an album.

Michelle G

Nenny_Mouse is offline Fastpass Holder
    This thread should be renamed "What does scrapbooking mean to you?!! LOL To me scrapbooking is the ONLY craft i have ever liked, loved and can do well (in my opinion anyways)! my mom, grama, mother in law and sister in law all can sew, crochet and knit. NOT me! i have tried ceramics, needle point and painting too...... .... but Scrapbooking... THAT I can do and i LOVE IT!

but its also a hobby that really is your own personal "thing" for lack of a better word. YU use the colors yu want, YU choose the stickers and embellishments, and YU make it your own (even when yu scraplift! ). Its a Great way of remembering events and forgetting them too (aka cropping out people yu want to forget - in laws, exs, etc!).
    Karen S.K. fellow scrapbooker and disney addict since September 12th, 1985

It all started with a mouse..... and noone in my family can stop it!!!:mickey:

Quote Originally Posted by Nenny_Mouse View Post
    . Its a Great way of remembering events and forgetting them too (aka cropping out people yu want to forget - in laws, exs, etc!).
    LOL...thanks for the laugh this morning Nenny....does that include idiot landlords, or should I say can I crop out ppl in real life too? LOL

Goofygirl is offline Dream Team Wrap Party Alumni - 07,08,09 / Magic Meets Attendee 2005-2009
    Connecticut - 18 hours and 42 minutes away from MK
    I think you guys have said most of what I feel about scrapbooking but I'm lucky that not only do I get all my lifes memories organized and out of the envelopes in the hope chest were they have been for a dozen or so years, I also get to spend time with my DD as every Thursday is our night to scrap together. Okay we are shopping for scrap stuff this Thursday rather than scrapping.......and it sure helps that she works at Memories and gets 40% off.

Also, I have also learned how important it is to put dates and names on the backs of pictures and am thankful my mother dated them and put them in envelopes by the year they were taken. She has Alzheimers now and that information would be lost forever had she not done so way back when.
    Janet

Gawrsh! Hyuk!

Nenny_Mouse is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by vixen101485 View Post
    LOL...thanks for the laugh this morning Nenny....does that include idiot landlords, or should I say can I crop out ppl in real life too? LOL

hmmm.... if yu figure how to do that one let me know!!!!! but it works great when yu want to crop out bratty nieces at birthday parties or mother in laws at holidays! hey they are my pages! though i dont crop out my mother in law much any more.... she has gotten nicer since i made her a scrapbook.
    Karen S.K. fellow scrapbooker and disney addict since September 12th, 1985

It all started with a mouse..... and noone in my family can stop it!!!:mickey:

zcook9 is offline Not close enough to the magic!
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98 View Post
    "What is Scrapbooking exactly???"

IT'S AN ILLNESS! AN ADDICTION!! But... A LOT OF FUN!!!
    I need a support group... S.A. (Scrappers Anonymous)(sp )
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast