Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Vacation Club Discuss ? about points to long time DVC members in the Vacation Planning forums; My husband and I just returned from WDW this weekend. I had read a bunch of info about DVC here before hand and decided to do the tour to get ...
    liljam is offline B-Ticket Holder

? about points to long time DVC members

My husband and I just returned from WDW this weekend. I had read a bunch of info about DVC here before hand and decided to do the tour to get more info. We're considering buying between 160 and 200 points but there is one thing I'm curious about and forgot to ask. The question I have is 5 years from now, how far will that amount of points even go. I know that once you buy the amount you choose, you're locked in to that price for the points and that points have double since the DVC was started. But I can't imagine that 160 points 10 years ago got the same lengths and times as they do today. Can anyone tell me more about their points and if you eventually had to spend another amount of money to upgrade your points so that you could continue to choose the same vacation you always took with your DVC membership. Thanks in advance to anyone who can share this info. If we decide to do this by tomorrow, we can actually get more points as an incentive and I'm supposed to meet with my loan officer at lunch time. I don't want to rush if there may be some underlying things that we're not yet aware of.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Leslee

Saratoga Springs is my home away from home! Proud DVC Member 5-10-07

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    We've been members for 7 years at the BWV. In our experience, the points per night do not change much...if at all. The dates for peak season may change from year to year, but that's the main thing.

To give you an idea, we like to stay in a 1 bedroom villa with a standard view at the BoardWalk Villas in early December.
    Back in 2000, the weeknight point cost was 16 points/night. I forget the weekly point cost.
    In 2004 for the same accomodations and time of year, the weeknight point cost was 16 points/night.
    I just checked the DVC members website, the 2007 point cost for the same accomodations and time of year is...16points/night.

So the points you buy today will allow you to have the same level of accomodations you will enjoy years from now.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Awesome, that was my biggest concern! I was afraid to sink in a bunch of $ and then have to do more later! Thanks for the info.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Leslee

I have made the call and I'm locked in with the incentives and already approved for a go on the membership. As I wait for my rep to call back on Thurs. my husband and I have to decide how many points we are going to start with. I'm aiming at 200 for starters and then adding on later if needed! Now I just need to read more about add ons and how that works too!

Thanks to everyone in the forum for posting such good info about the DVC. I did some reading on it before I had even went to WDW! It helps in making the decision and it inspired me to take the tour on my recent trip! It's just perfect for us!
    - Leslee

Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder
    We've been members for 6 or 7 years and our points seem to go as far today as they did when we first bought. In fact, over time we've learned how to use them better, which also makes them last longer. That and we've convinced some family members to buy their own DVC so they don't use our points anymore.
    Check out my blog or MySpace.

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by liljam View Post
    I have made the call and I'm locked in with the incentives and already approved for a go on the membership. As I wait for my rep to call back on Thurs. my husband and I have to decide how many points we are going to start with. I'm aiming at 200 for starters and then adding on later if needed! Now I just need to read more about add ons and how that works too!

Thanks to everyone in the forum for posting such good info about the DVC. I did some reading on it before I had even went to WDW! It helps in making the decision and it inspired me to take the tour on my recent trip! It's just perfect for us!
    Congratulations on your DVC purchase!!

Just to chime in, Disney is legally obligated not to raise the total number of points to make reservations at a resort. What that means is if they raise, for example, a 1BR reservation at BWV 3 points for a weeknight during the summer, they must reduce something 3 points somewhere to balance it out. What it means in reality is that Disney has only done this once at OKW many years ago (1995?). Since then, they've gotten pretty good at point assignments and have not had the need to move the point requirements around since.

So you can be confident that your 200 points will be enough for your same type of reservations year after year!
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

Use your Disney Visa card to pay for it or at least the down payment!! That's what we did. It was nice having all those points for our next trip.
    I take it SSR will be your home resort. That's mine and I love it there.

WELCOME HOME!!!

Lori

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    We started with 210 in 2000 and since then have bought 100 more points. The 210 has got us 2 rooms for a week when we go down.
    Eric

Thanks to all of you again! I am so anxious and excited to get my member cards and book our first trip as members! Ugh, this is making me as crazy as I was on the ride down to Florida! The rep. that I'm dealing with isn't back until Thursday and I could have went ahead with the paperwork yesterday, but I want to talk to Patti because I want her to know that we decided to do it. I guess they convert about 1 in 3 people so that's awesome! With 90k plus members, I can't see how it's bad! I'm even already planning out my finances in case 200 isn't enough for us! I have to say, I knew I'd rekindle my love for WDW when I got there, but I forgot how much that place has molded me (my life and views!)
    - Leslee

Its not that 200 points is not enough it is that you always want more to go more often.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by jacketsfan683 View Post
    Its not that 200 points is not enough it is that you always want more to go more often.
    That bears repeating!

No matter how many points you buy, at some point you are going to want more! Buy what you can afford to pay dues for...
    Amanda

athenna is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Boston,SSR, AKLV, Will's ship, Balian's castle
    Congrats, liljam and welcome home, neighbor!!!

I got engaged @ WDW 1/24/10

Yay!!!! I was able to talk With Patti D. today and got everything finalized! I am officially "HOME" at Saratoga Springs! I'm beyond joyful and Patti reminds me of a new best friend for the kind of service she gave us! So courteous! I even told her to check out these boards because of the great feedback on DVC! Thanks one more time to all of you who have helped through this post and the other posts in this section - you're input has made it so easy to do this and Granny, you should just go sell DVC!!! Geesh, you know your stuff!! Thanks!
    - Leslee

Welcome Home Leslee!!!
    Amanda

You will love SSR! We bought an extra 100 points there. Did you get to tour the 3 bedroom Grand Villa? It is bigger than most apartments!
    Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast