Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss SSR Questions in the Vacation Planning forums; I've been visiting so many DVC Owners boards lately. Some people seem to dislike SSR for some reason but I thought it was lovely. I know from lots of reading ...
    liljam is offline B-Ticket Holder

SSR Questions

I've been visiting so many DVC Owners boards lately. Some people seem to dislike SSR for some reason but I thought it was lovely.

I know from lots of reading that some people say they drive a lot because of this resort, but I'm wondering how many people have been there and managed to walk everywhere they wanted to go within the resort and use buses for going to the parks. I'm not interested in getting in my vehicle any time after I enter WDW until I'm ready to leave. I don't mind the bus rides at all, and a 5-10 minute walk to get to the food court doesn't bother me at all! Let me know how many of you have gotten around on foot and bus while staying here and those of you that have ended up using your vehicle for most of your stay - not because of preference but because it was easier overall! Thanks!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Leslee

Saratoga Springs is my home away from home! Proud DVC Member 5-10-07

jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    We have stayed their twice and we didn't mind the walk around the resort. The first year we didn't even have a car so it wasn't even an option. there is also a boat that you can catch to go across to DTD. Plus the buses were never very crowded which made trips to and from the park easier.
    Eric

Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder

Thumbs up

It's funny, I didn't think I would like SSR. Really, OKW and VWL are my favorites. But the last couple of times we were forced to stay at SSR because no place else had availability (3 months out). So, the place has grown on us. We haven't had any of the problems that some others have reported about dirty rooms, poor response from management, etc. The rooms we stayed in have always been pristine, the grounds have been beautiful, short walks to bus stops, etc.

The only thing I don't like about SSR is that there are way too many rooms in relation to the availability of quick service food. Everyone in the entire resort descends upon The Artists Palette in the morning and it is chaos. Hence, we now cook and eat in our room for breakfast. Also, like every other DVC except OKW, the patios are tiny, which makes eating on the patio very difficult...something we enjoy at OKW, even with a family.

Other than those two complaints, I really do like this resort.
    Check out my blog or MySpace.

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    the last time I was there was in december, and the resort is great, but the buses were not. One morning my dad and my friend and his dad got up really early so that we could go to mk for extra magic hours. We were at the bus stop at 7:25 am. The park was supposed to open for emh at 8, so we figured we had plenty of time, welll, a bus never came until 8:15. which was after the park opens. So, if you want to go somewhere, especially if you have a reservation, you might want to be there and leave a lot of extra time, or just take a cab
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

Thanks for all the info! I look forward to trying it out!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Leslee

You can always get on any bus to get to the food court. The last stop is right across from there. That's what we did. We would get on an EPCOT bus and get off at the next stop. Lots of people were doing it. Plus, there is an internal bus that goes around.

Enjoy your stay!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    SSR has one other transportation plus. For most resorts, getting from resort to resort is a challenge at best resulting in multiple buses, monorails, boats, etc. At SSR you can easily get to any resort on property by going over to DTD and taking the direct resort bus.

I agree with others that suggest using the park or internal buses to get around. It works well at OKW and I don't see why it shouldn't work well at SSR.
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

Debbie-Habba is offline C-Ticket Holder
    My hubby and I Love SSR.... Our first trip there we were right by the food/pool area so no complaints from us!
    In two weeks we are headed there again I will let you know our location and feeling about it then!
    But I am sure all will be Great!

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom-Morrow"

Thanks for all of the info. We're not going in Jan. now. I'm expecting in Feb. so I am going to change our trip to May. I had wanted to go in Jan. in hopes of seeing all of the holiday decorations but it is way too close to my due date to travel that far. I'll plan for the holidays next year! I can't wait to take a little one to WDW for the first time and being able to take advantage of DVC makes my family really happy especially now that will be adding a baby and hopefully new Disney fan! For the first trip with baby, we plan on taking it easy, doing what we can and not being rushed so that should help us out in terms of getting around. We might only spend a few hours in the parks this time so I'm hoping that I'll get to take several strolls around the resort.
    - Leslee

DVCMike is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by liljam View Post
    Wow, you joined about the same time I did. Welcome home!
    DVC Member

JEHI7278 is offline A-Ticket holder
    One reason we like the resort is because of it's location to DTD. We love that place!!!