Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Renting Points from a DVC Member in the Vacation Planning forums; This post is intended for non-DVC members… There are two ways you can stay in a Disney Vacation Club Villa: Call WDW reservations (just like any other resort) and book ...
    DVCMike is offline A-Ticket holder

Renting Points from a DVC Member

This post is intended for non-DVC members…

There are two ways you can stay in a Disney Vacation Club Villa:

• Call WDW reservations (just like any other resort) and book a villa
    • Rent points from a DVC member

Disney allows the general public to book DVC units at rack rates through its regular resort reservations system, when available. Renting points from a DVC member is a much better deal, as it typically costs much less to rent from a DVC member than to book a DVC resort direct from Disney.

If you do decide to rent points from a DVC member, keep in mind that this is a private transaction between two people, and Disney is not involved in any way. If anything goes wrong, you can’t complain to Disney or expect them to resolve any problem. Renting points takes some work ahead of time to protect yourself and minimize the inherent risk of these types of transactions.

Please use due diligence before entering into any agreement and certainly before sending any payment. Renting points requires trust on both sides of the agreement, but even with trust there is a need for you to do some due diligence and common sense checking before sending off your money to a total stranger. You don’t want to be defrauded or left without a reservation.

• Ask for references from the DVC member who is renting the points, and check their references

• Don't rent from any member who has only made a few posts on the rental board. It could be an indicator of a scam. Review past posts on the board for the person you are working with so you can get an idea what type of person they may be.

• Get the owner's full name, home address and home phone number before sending any payment. To the extent possible, confirm that the information is valid.

• Confirm that the person is, in fact, a DVC owner by running a search at the Florida Comptroller's Office web site.

• There should be a written contract or letter of agreement, signed by both of you, spelling out exactly what the rental will cost, when payment is due, dates of the stay, etc.

• Never pay a total stranger by using a "cash equivalent" such as Western Union or money order.

In summary: never, ever send money to anyone until you have confirmed their true identify and that they are, in fact, a DVC member, and you have a written agreement.

If something sounds "off," don't proceed. It's not worth taking the risk.

Also, please keep in mind the following:

• Be aware that Disney Vacation Club will not speak with renters or give them any information. Only DVC owners can speak with DVC about reservations.
    • A DVC reservation is very different from a regular hotel reservation and the limitations/restrictions/penalties on the owner may make cancellation and rescheduling difficult or impossible. Those problems vary from owner to owner, from rental to rental, and you have no way of knowing what kind of restrictions the owner is under. If you get in a position where you have to cancel a rented reservation, the owner may not be able to help you.

• You do not get daily maid service when you rent from a DVC member (while you do get daily maid service if you make the reservation through Disney CRO).

The majority of rentals without any problem and involve satisfied parties on both sides of the transa
    DVC Member

DVCMike is offline A-Ticket holder
    I just wanted to add that thousands of successful rental transactions have been completed throughout the history of the DVC program, and the savings are obvious. Reported instances of fraud occurring are small.

However, you should take whatever steps you feel are justified to become comfortable with the process prior to entering into a rental deal. You must understand that you are placing a great deal of faith in the DVC member's promise that a reservation has been made and will remain in force until your arrival.
    DVC Member

DVC Mike is offline C-Ticket Holder
    One more thing... I don't think it is a very good idea to "rent points" from an ad placed on a general site such as Ebay or Craigslist.

Instead, it's best to rent points from a good friend or someone else you know, or even another member you've met here at DWT.

If you can't find anyone that way, I would then recommend checking out the popular rental forms at MouseOwners.com and Disboards. Of course, before renting from an owner on these sites, I would read some of their general posts to see what kind of person they are.
    Last edited by DVC Mike; 01-23-2008 at 08:48 AM.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: BLT, BWV, BCV and VGC

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I rent from a DVC member. Huge price difference than going through Disney. I've never had a problem either. And yes it is a private transacttion between you and the DVC member. You can find people renting on ebay. At least that way you can read the feedback. That's how we started, but now we go through him directly. We have all his contact numbers and address.
    Last edited by Disney05; 01-23-2008 at 02:14 PM.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    Hey Mike, I know where someone is selling a DVC memebership of 100 pts say for X amount of dollars. Is 100 pts enough for a person whom goes 3 times a year during off season times?? I checked and I need 33 pts for a 3 day stay coming up in March??? I know I cannot buy that quick but was curious. Also will Disney go up on how many points I need per night in the future?? I know what it is for the home resort and would need extra if i decided to go to a much nicer resort. Also how much is maintenance per point??

Quote Originally Posted by Tmntrans View Post
    Hey Mike, I know where someone is selling a DVC memebership of 100 pts say for X amount of dollars. Is 100 pts enough for a person whom goes 3 times a year during off season times?? I checked and I need 33 pts for a 3 day stay coming up in March??? I know I cannot buy that quick but was curious. Also will Disney go up on how many points I need per night in the future?? I know what it is for the home resort and would need extra if i decided to go to a much nicer resort. Also how much is maintenance per point??
    You can lookup the point charts at http://www.mouseowners.com/

The total number of vacation points required to use all rooms during each calendar year can never increase. However, DVC may reallocate or adjust point requirements; reallocation cannot exceed 20% per calendar year. If vacation points for one specific night increase, it will be offset by a decrease on another night or nights.

The maintenance fees are also posted on MouseOwners.

Thank's for the mouseowners link Mike! We're staying at the BCV this October and I haven't been able to find a map of room locations for all 5 floors anywhere.
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

Oops, didn't mean to do that.

ajslo is offline A-Ticket holder

question about renting

I am considering renting points for sept 08. I looked at public records and he indeed owns a DVC. He purchased it in June of 08 and his year begins each October. He said his 160 pts expired at the end of Sept which would make sense. However, would he have the points to rent now since he just purchased it?
    Thank you.

PolynesianMedic is offline Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a Paramedic
    Thanks for the great info, my wife and I have talked about this but have never been able to find any good info on it.
    My Blog
    My Photo's

"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

designbymk is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Renting Points from a DVC Member

Anyone have a link to the Florida Comptroller's Office web site noted in the first post by DVC Mike?

I'm looking to do as search and am having a hard time finding that site.

Quote Originally Posted by designbymk View Post
    Anyone have a link to the Florida Comptroller's Office web site noted in the first post by DVC Mike?

I'm looking to do as search and am having a hard time finding that site.

Disclaimer

designbymk is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    Your swell . Thanks!

Monica Santos is offline A-Ticket holder

Hi, DVCMike! I and a group of friends are considering renting points from DVC members on our next vacation so that we can stay in a deluxe resort for a more affordable price. You say we have to deal directly with the DVC member. What about renting points through a third party "broker"?

bradisgoofy is offline A-Ticket holder

Talking Re: Renting Points from a DVC Member

I have rented points directly and just recently used DVCrequest dot com ( an advertiser on this forum ) with great success. I will highly recommend dvcrequest for owners willing to rent points. David does all the "leg" work and has very complete contracts that protect both the renter and the rentee. BUT, he does have a slight markup to make it worth his time. Even with that, it is still cheaper then "rack" rates and you get a deluxe room. JMHO
    Brad is because he listens/watches the WDWradio newscast on a Sprint EVO in a frontend loader at work. * aka brad49201 on the WDWradio Newscast chat * WDW visit on Honeymoon 8/73 * Off sight - 4/1982 * CBR - 4/1995 * Dixie Landings (now Riverside) - 4/1999 * FW Cabins 4/2000 * DVC Membership ( BWV ) - 4/2000 * VWL - 4/2001 * OKW - 4/2002 * BWV - 4/2003 * BWV - 4/2004 * FW ( in our Fifth Wheel ) - 4/2005 * BWV - 3/2006 then Disney Wonder 3 day Cruise - 3/30/06 then back to BWV - 4/2006 * FW ( in our new MOTORCOACH ) - 4/2007 * BWV & FW - 4/2008 Magical Gathering * SSR - 10/2008 MNSSHP * BCV - 3/2009 * BWV - 11/09 (MVMCP 11-10-09) * Back to FW - 5/2010 & bought BLT * OKW 11/2010 * Second cruise on the Wonder 11/7/10 * MVMCP 11/11/10 * BLT 5/11 * BWV 12/11 * BLT 5/12

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast