Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Vacation Club Discuss some questions for DVC members in the Vacation Planning forums; ok, i have no idea what the vacation club is or how it works, so can someone help me? is it a time share? is it expensive? rip-off? perks & ...
    GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!

some questions for DVC members

ok, i have no idea what the vacation club is or how it works, so can someone help me?

is it a time share? is it expensive? rip-off? perks & benefits? where could i find more information and sign up?

Thanks.

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    For more information, check out the link below:

http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/index

If you still have questions after reading that, post them and I'll try to answer them.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDude
    ok, i have no idea what the vacation club is or how it works, so can someone help me?

is it a time share? is it expensive? rip-off? perks & benefits? where could i find more information and sign up?

Thanks.
    DVC is Disney's version of a timeshare, though it is considerably different than your typical timeshare.

The biggest difference is that DVC is a Right to Use contract that expires in 2042 or 2054, depending on what Vacation Club resort you purchase at.

Right now, if you purchase through Disney, the only choice is Saratoga Springs Resort, a lovely new vacation resort right across the lake from Downtown Disney. Contracts there expire in 2054.

You can purchase into the other four on-site DVC resorts through the resale market. All those contracts will expire in 2042.

With DVC, you make an upfront, lump sum payment to get an allotment of points that are renewed each year. With those points, you can make reservations at the DVC resorts, and the amount of points needed will depend on the type of rooms, what days you stay, and the time of year (similar to booking a resort).

So you don't own a specific accommodation at a specific week of the year at a specific place as you would with a traditional timeshare. You have a lot of flexibility with the DVC program.

On the other hand, it is best if used for DVC stays mostly. It doesn't trade out as well as other timeshares might.

Here's where DVC makes sense.

1. You plan to go to WDW at least every other year for the next 37-50 years.

2. You would otherwise be staying on-site in at least a Moderate Disney resort.

3. You want to be able to enjoy your accommodations more when you do go...things like in-room full kitchens, washer/dryers for clothes, a living room, etc.

It's a good deal for people who fit the criteria. It is definitely not for everyone.

Ask questions, and then ask some more!
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

Miabear123 is offline A-Ticket holder

Need A Disney Vacation Member Name

Apparently DVCM get a bonus for referring people. I am consider joining and am looking for a member name to us for the referral. If you are a member please email you name so I can us your name as a referral. miabearmia@yahoo.com I waiting on the information package I have review the DVD and spoke with a representative.

Thank you

Sara

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    I agree with everything Granny said, especially about it being good for some people but not others. My husband and I bought into it 2 years ago and have been THRILLED with the purchase! You also get some discounts at WDW restaurants and shops with a DVC membership. We get email updates and snail mail news (although I usually have the news already by being a part of this website.) There are also resale websites for obtaining DVC memberships for people who no longer want their points/memberships. I just don't remember what they are.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    The downsides I see to this are:

1. If there is a kitchen I will feel obligated to cook and therefore save some $$$.
    2. I like the idea of somebody else making the bed for 8-10 days. (and cleaning the bathrooms, and vacuuming the floors, and..).
    3. I like clean towels everyday that I didn't have to wash.

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Grumpy, you can call disney and request a DVC info packet as well, I dont know that I will be joining, but I wanted to know more and sent away for the packet. It is really informative. Also, for DVC resales, if you want to get an idea on price, here is a link:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/faq.shtml

thru disney at:
    http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/index
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

All good information. I am getting ready to review the resale site. Has any ever purchase the DVC resale? Does Disney frown upton people making purchasing to their club this way?

Sara

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I am not sure. Hopefully someone who is already a member can answer that. I assume Disney doesn't promote the resale market and would prefer you buy direct, but from what I see, if you buy thru a good real estate site or resale company, it could work out fine.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Disney Resale

I have touched base with one of the agents that was provided by a member of these site. It is very was very helpful and the company is nice to work with. The seem reputable to me. This may be the way I go for the DVC membership. Its is a little less in term of cost for my budget. Still gathering information. I will keep touching base.

Sara

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Miabear123
    All good information. I am getting ready to review the resale site. Has any ever purchase the DVC resale? Does Disney frown upton people making purchasing to their club this way?

Sara

No, once you buy into DVC you are a member like everyone else, with all of the same benefits and perks.

As a matter of fact, Disney likes the resalability of DVC, it is a great selling point. People who bought into DVC years ago have sold though resale and have actually made money which is almost unheard of in the timeshare community.

I bought into DVC (OKW) in January of 2005 by way of the "Timeshare Store" my agent, Jason, was the best and went out of his way to help me.

Good Luck with what ever you choose. Let us know what happens.

~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

Govac24 is offline A-Ticket holder
    As long as they sell & keep selling Disney is happy. If anyone needs a name they can use mine. Just pm me!

nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie
    The downsides I see to this are:

1. If there is a kitchen I will feel obligated to cook and therefore save some $$$.
    2. I like the idea of somebody else making the bed for 8-10 days. (and cleaning the bathrooms, and vacuuming the floors, and..).
    3. I like clean towels everyday that I didn't have to wash.
    A bit of a problem. Unless You purchace a special package. They will only make your bed every 3 days. And the same for towels, they will be replaced every 3 or so days. UNLESS you get the special package for a bit extra. Also, it depends on what size of room you get. The studio size (smallest) is like a normal room but with a wet bar w/ a microwave and some paper plates and plastic forks and such. NOW the next room size up, the one bedroom; you get a small stove, dishwasher, exc... And another warning. If you use your points to stay at an older resort (such as contempary, polynesian, exc...) they do not always have larger size rooms, so you would have to have a normal room. But a cool thing on the website is that when you sign in after becoming a member, they have a points caculator to help you find out how many points its going to take of yours. But ANOTHER AWESOME THING is that you dont just have to use your points at WDW or just Disney locations. You can use them at any disney location around the world! Also (its kinda foggy on me, but this is what I know about this part. I suggest asking a DVC sales person about more but...) I remember something such as you can use your points with participating airlines, hotels, and others. Some people have used their points to help go on a vacation to south africa!!! Its helped pay for tours of the grand canyon, and many others. It can also help you pay for some of those BIG RITZY like resorts in the north in such. Just watch the DVC DVD/VHS and it helps allot! Oh, and two more things. When you talk to other DVC members, they HIGHLY recomend it! My mom and I toured with some DVC members and said they loved it. People from England, Australia and other locations around the world join DVC because how flexiable and great it is. And for the last one, My mom and I talked to a DVC sales person at the Boardwalk after my moms boyfriend/fieance joined. And if you wanted to stay in a one bedroom or two bedroom to have more space...you pay MEGA $$$$ if your not a DVC member. Just ask a sales person if they are around a computer and ask them to compare DVC prices with normal rates! And again...ITS FLEXABLE TO YOU!!! Its awesome. I give it
    :mickey: :mickey: :mickey: :mickey: :mickey: on my own disney rating scale of 1 to 5! No probles at all with DVC. Have always been pleased!

haunted mouse is offline A-Ticket holder
    I recently bought into the DVC, I figured it out on my calculator after 6 years it will be paid that means I will have 43 more years of free vacations. If I want to go to Disney for the next 37 years by myself after that it would cost me $74,000.00. That figure is based on $2000 per year for 37 years. I am only paying $14700.00. For those prices there would have to be something wrong with you if you did not join. Not to confuse anybody the 37 year thing by myself means if I was not a DVC member. I don't want to sound crazy , but after explaining this to my wife a couple times it gets old. Plus we can go stay at other fine resorts around the world. We are already talking about going to Arizona and Colorado. If you are truly interested and have questions, requesting the literature and talking to the reps should clear up everything. :mickey:

kree is offline C-Ticket Holder
    The larger rooms, particularly at deluxe resorts will spoil you after the first visit. The only (very slight) downside is DVC accomodations tend to be a further walk than standard rooms, particularly at BW.
    Por favor mantengese alejado de las puertas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast