Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss DVD Points and Fees in the Vacation Planning forums; DVC Members: Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, I've read through and didn't find an exact answer to these 3 quesitons: 1) Several of you on this forum ...
    TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder

DVD Points and Fees

DVC Members:

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, I've read through and didn't find an exact answer to these 3 quesitons:

1) Several of you on this forum have calculated that the DVC membership pays for itself in 6-7 years and the rest is basically free. How did you take into account the monthly dues/maintenance of $60+, or $720+ annually. That seems to stretch the payback out a bit.

2) When you first buy in, do you get 160 points per year? Then after that, how much is it to add new points?

3) Why are the memberships given "home" resorts when you can use your points anywhere?

Thanks,

M
    Last edited by TestSherpa; 11-09-2007 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Mis-typed DVD instead of DVC
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

DVC Mike is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by TestSherpa View Post
    1) Several of you on this forum have calculated that the DVC membership pays for itself in 6-7 years and the rest is basically free. How did you take into account the monthly dues/maintenance of $60+, or $720+ annually. That seems to stretch the payback out a bit.
    Actually, the financial comparison takes annual dues into effect, and it's still a savings. Take a look at this example:
    DVCNews.com - The essential web resource for Disney Vacation Club members! - Exactly how do I save money using DVC?

2) When you first buy in, do you get 160 points per year? Then after that, how much is it to add new points?
    You buy in with a minimum of 160 points. You get 160 points every year (for up to 50 years) to use on your vacations.

3) Why are the memberships given "home" resorts when you can use your points anywhere?
    Because you are purchasing a real estate interest into a particular resort. That is your home resort. You get to book your home resort up to 11 months in advance, and you can book all other DVC resorts up to 7 months in advance. Your annual dues are also calculated based upon your home resort.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: BLT, BWV, BCV and VGC

Thanks Mike, you rock.
    M

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    Mike, I've been trying to rent some points for Mar 29 through Apr 1 and can't get anywhere on the DIS board. Any ideas?? Is it too late as in right around the corner or what?? Is there anwhere else thats rents points out?? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmntrans View Post
    Mike, I've been trying to rent some points for Mar 29 through Apr 1 and can't get anywhere on the DIS board. Any ideas?? Is it too late as in right around the corner or what?? Is there anwhere else thats rents points out?? Thanks in advance.
    Try the DVC boards at MouseOwners.com
    The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World - Powered by vBulletin

Also, people renting points should really start looking as soon as possible, up to 12 months in advance if a specific DVC resort is desired. It is typically hard to secure a reservation for 60 days out or less.

MickeyspalJim is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    Try the DVC boards at MouseOwners.com
    The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World - Powered by vBulletin

Also, people renting points should really start looking as soon as possible, up to 12 months in advance if a specific DVC resort is desired. It is typically hard to secure a reservation for 60 days out or less.
    Hey Mike, Sorry to change the subject, but I was wondering How much You may know about using pts. to go on the DCL? Have you tried it yet? We were thinking about trying the 3 or 4 day cruise and was wondering if it was better to pay cash or use DVC pts. for a cruise?
    11 Pre-DVC Trips to WDW 8-1978 through 12-2006.

Our DVC/Disney Resort trips have been:

Trip #1 (Jan 31-Feb 5-07) SSR. Studio.
    Trip #2 (May 1- 8-07) OKW. Studio.
    Trip #3 (June 26-July 1-07) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #4 (Sept 16-21-07) OKW. 1 & 2 Bdrm.
    Trip #5 (Nov 29-Dec 3-07) AKL.
    Trip #6 (Jan 26-Feb 2-08) AKL. Studio.
    Trip #7 (April 12-18-08) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #8 (May 23-27-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 9(May 27-30-08) OKW. Studio.
    Trip # 10(Sept 10-17-08) BWV. Studio
    Trip # 11 (Nov 15-21-08) VWL. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 12 (Dec 19-21-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 13(Feb 1-6-09) SSR. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 14(Feb 27-Mar 1-09) AKV Studio
    Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites
    Trip # 16(July 6th-10th-09)Pop Century
    Trip # 17(Sept 18th-24th-2009)Pop Century
    Trip #18(Oct 10th-16th 2009) ASR Music-1 nite, SSR Treehouses 5 nites
    Trip #19(Jan 20th-26th 2010) OKW-4 nites, Bch Club Studio Villa 2 nites
    Trip #20(Apr 23rd-26th 2010) Caribbean Beach Resort
    Trip #21(June 18th-25th 2010) POR 2 nites, SSR 2bdrm Villa 5 Nites.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyspalJim View Post
    Hey Mike, Sorry to change the subject, but I was wondering How much You may know about using pts. to go on the DCL? Have you tried it yet? We were thinking about trying the 3 or 4 day cruise and was wondering if it was better to pay cash or use DVC pts. for a cruise?
    For our vacation on the Disney Wonder, we paid cash instead of using our points. We use our points only for the DVC resorts, and pay cash for everything else.

Some people think it's not a good use of your points to use them on DCL. The cancellation policies aren't as good as when you pay with cash, and if you do cancel, your points remain as reservation points that cannot be used to book DVC resorts. However, if you have the points and don't want to visit WDW, I see no reason not to use them to book DCL. After all, that's part of the flexibility of DVC.

MickeyspalJim is offline Fastpass Holder
    I really liked seeing that comparison chart that You supplied Mike. It is true that someone could use Value resorts and save alot of money compared to what DVC. ownership may cost, but after using these DVC. Resorts of sizes from Studios up to the 2 bedroom villas, there is no comparison to just saving money in a value resort room. I have done value, moderate, and DVC. and the others are great, but nothing compares to the larger DVC. Resort rooms. Thanks again for those charts. I will often go to them to show how our decision to buy into Disney for Us, was a great Idea!
    11 Pre-DVC Trips to WDW 8-1978 through 12-2006.

Our DVC/Disney Resort trips have been:

Trip #1 (Jan 31-Feb 5-07) SSR. Studio.
    Trip #2 (May 1- 8-07) OKW. Studio.
    Trip #3 (June 26-July 1-07) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #4 (Sept 16-21-07) OKW. 1 & 2 Bdrm.
    Trip #5 (Nov 29-Dec 3-07) AKL.
    Trip #6 (Jan 26-Feb 2-08) AKL. Studio.
    Trip #7 (April 12-18-08) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #8 (May 23-27-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 9(May 27-30-08) OKW. Studio.
    Trip # 10(Sept 10-17-08) BWV. Studio
    Trip # 11 (Nov 15-21-08) VWL. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 12 (Dec 19-21-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 13(Feb 1-6-09) SSR. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 14(Feb 27-Mar 1-09) AKV Studio
    Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites
    Trip # 16(July 6th-10th-09)Pop Century
    Trip # 17(Sept 18th-24th-2009)Pop Century
    Trip #18(Oct 10th-16th 2009) ASR Music-1 nite, SSR Treehouses 5 nites
    Trip #19(Jan 20th-26th 2010) OKW-4 nites, Bch Club Studio Villa 2 nites
    Trip #20(Apr 23rd-26th 2010) Caribbean Beach Resort
    Trip #21(June 18th-25th 2010) POR 2 nites, SSR 2bdrm Villa 5 Nites.

Wall-E is offline A-Ticket holder

Member Advice

Just to let everyone know there is a definate savings with DVC points.

I currently have 930 points and broke even on cost (including monthly maintenance fees) in 2004. I normally stay in a grand villa at Old Key West (which thanks to a glitch in the master contract, is the lowest number of points for this room size) and take my whole family.

The overall savins we calculated for the 40 year contract was about $180,000 so it was really worth it for us.

For Disney Collection stays, such as the Polynesian, obviously the points are higher (3-4x per night) but other than the $95 booking fee, does it work like a DVC resort fee otherwise? I know it's not the best use of points, but let's say you were only going to stay for 5 nights one year and wanted to be on the monorail.

Also, Mike, I noticed you have points from many different home resorts. Does that complicate your booking, or do you find that the 11-month 7-month difference is not a big deal?
    M

Also, Mike, I noticed you have points from many different home resorts. Does that complicate your booking, or do you find that the 11-month 7-month difference is not a big deal?
    I own at 4 resorts primarily for the benefit of being able to book at the 11-mo windiw. That way, I always get the reservation I want and I never have to worry about waitlisting. I have no problem managing my points - I use a simple Excel spreadsheet.

Thanks Mike. I had heard that if you own points in multiple home resorts that you can use the 11-month option only for the amount of points at each place. In other words, if you have 100 at AKV and 100 at BCV, you couldn't book 160 at 11 months at either place. Is that true?
    M

Thanks Mike. I had heard that if you own points in multiple home resorts that you can use the 11-month option only for the amount of points at each place. In other words, if you have 100 at AKV and 100 at BCV, you couldn't book 160 at 11 months at either place. Is that true?
    Yes, that is true. You can book at the 11-mo window using only the points you own at the resort you are trying to book.

However, by proper use of banking or borrowing, you can have a 200 point vacation at AKV, followed by a 200 point vacation at BCV (in other words, alternate your two home resorts). That way, you get to book each at the 11-mo window and don't have to worry about not getting the reservation you want.