Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Resort Availability in the Vacation Planning forums; I am looking for some help from any DVC members out there. I am a teacher and our travel window is basically limited to the summer months. If we were ...
    CKrup is offline B-Ticket Holder

Resort Availability

I am looking for some help from any DVC members out there. I am a teacher and our travel window is basically limited to the summer months. If we were to join DVC, I know we would like to stay at all the different resorts, especially the WLV. How difficult is it to get a studio during the summer months with the 7 month reservation window?

DaveH is offline A-Ticket holder
    The short answer from me is I don't know. We are empty nesters and do not like it when it is very hot and crowded. You should check into buying VWL points by resale or through Disney if VWL is a must often. Downside is they expire before the current SSR and AKV points. Contemporary DVC is coming. DVC says what are you talking about. But they have already filed the paperwork with FLA for them. If you buy at VWL you can make your ressies at 11 months out. If you buy elsewhere it is 7 months. I would think if you are a little flexible with dates you should be able to at 7 months. I know times like Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving time frames are hard at 7 months to get VWL in a studio. Wilderness Lodge is a small DVC resort, so is BCV. In general it seems that Studios and 2 bedrooms go faster than 1 bedroom villas. Wait list does work allot but not always. If we have hard set dates that can not change we book at home resort early. Then if we want somewhere else we try at 7 months. If not available we wait list for other resort. We have had about 75% success rate. We do not do summer times so I don't know about that time. We have done fall, the couple of weeks after Thanksgiving(which is busy DVC time) and spring. Spring breaks can be busy also. Planning ahead and trying usually works well. If one resort is a must buy there. Over the years of DVC ownership you should be able to stay everywhere during your ownership.

MickeyspalJim is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    The short answer from me is I don't know. We are empty nesters and do not like it when it is very hot and crowded. You should check into buying VWL points by resale or through Disney if VWL is a must often. Downside is they expire before the current SSR and AKV points. Contemporary DVC is coming. DVC says what are you talking about. But they have already filed the paperwork with FLA for them. If you buy at VWL you can make your ressies at 11 months out. If you buy elsewhere it is 7 months. I would think if you are a little flexible with dates you should be able to at 7 months. I know times like Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving time frames are hard at 7 months to get VWL in a studio. Wilderness Lodge is a small DVC resort, so is BCV. In general it seems that Studios and 2 bedrooms go faster than 1 bedroom villas. Wait list does work allot but not always. If we have hard set dates that can not change we book at home resort early. Then if we want somewhere else we try at 7 months. If not available we wait list for other resort. We have had about 75% success rate. We do not do summer times so I don't know about that time. We have done fall, the couple of weeks after Thanksgiving(which is busy DVC time) and spring. Spring breaks can be busy also. Planning ahead and trying usually works well. If one resort is a must buy there. Over the years of DVC ownership you should be able to stay everywhere during your ownership.
    My only advice, especially being that You would like to go at one of the busiest times, is to get on that phone first thing in the morning 7 months from Your checkout date and hope for the best. We had our saratoga res. set at our home resort and The misses call the second they started to answer the phones and we got a dedicated 2 bedroom on our first try, so it could go either way. good luck and enjoy!
    11 Pre-DVC Trips to WDW 8-1978 through 12-2006.

Our DVC/Disney Resort trips have been:

Trip #1 (Jan 31-Feb 5-07) SSR. Studio.
    Trip #2 (May 1- 8-07) OKW. Studio.
    Trip #3 (June 26-July 1-07) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #4 (Sept 16-21-07) OKW. 1 & 2 Bdrm.
    Trip #5 (Nov 29-Dec 3-07) AKL.
    Trip #6 (Jan 26-Feb 2-08) AKL. Studio.
    Trip #7 (April 12-18-08) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #8 (May 23-27-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 9(May 27-30-08) OKW. Studio.
    Trip # 10(Sept 10-17-08) BWV. Studio
    Trip # 11 (Nov 15-21-08) VWL. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 12 (Dec 19-21-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 13(Feb 1-6-09) SSR. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 14(Feb 27-Mar 1-09) AKV Studio
    Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites
    Trip # 16(July 6th-10th-09)Pop Century
    Trip # 17(Sept 18th-24th-2009)Pop Century
    Trip #18(Oct 10th-16th 2009) ASR Music-1 nite, SSR Treehouses 5 nites
    Trip #19(Jan 20th-26th 2010) OKW-4 nites, Bch Club Studio Villa 2 nites
    Trip #20(Apr 23rd-26th 2010) Caribbean Beach Resort
    Trip #21(June 18th-25th 2010) POR 2 nites, SSR 2bdrm Villa 5 Nites.