Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Annual Dues Question in the Vacation Planning forums; Hey Gang! I just had a question. I am trying to convince my Family to get in to the DVC, and I am stuck at this: The yearly dues seem ...
    BriBri1984 is offline A-Ticket holder

Annual Dues Question

Hey Gang!

I just had a question. I am trying to convince my Family to get in to the DVC, and I am stuck at this:

The yearly dues seem to have an increase of 20 - 30 dollars a year. It does not seem like alot, but take 10 dollars even over 20 years..

For 350 Points, an Annual Due Increase of 200 Dollars is pretty "steep" I guess you would Say..

Speaking with DVC, they attribute this to just the cost of inflation, weather, taxes ect.

I asked if there has been talk about this at Disney, and she really did not know. I said honestly I would think there would be a CAP becasue eventaully it would not be "worth" it. Yes it still would be cheaper to DVC but at the Current Price:

350 Points = 36400ish / 52 years ( I know they change the ending often ) = 674 a year

674 + 1400 ( annual Dues at 4 $, yes I know I took that low ) = 2074

And the Point cost keeps going up as well as dues

I undestand people pay it off and then dont worry, but I have to look at it every way possible ( Because I want to buy in as well!! )

I wouldnt be on here if I didnt love Disney, so in no way am I talking bad, i just have to get my things in order! The family are accountants!! haha

But I do not know, any thoughts?

We currently stay off property, and I am factoring Everything from Parking, to Dinning. I want them to Buy in.

I forgot to add, I assume this cost is becasue Disney is more expensive then the DVC, I mentioned we Stay right off property, which is Cheaper for the Villa. So the DVC is for Onsite Disney Lovers like us, correct?

Bri
    Last edited by BriBri1984; 07-08-2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: For got to Add something

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    Maybe you could just rent some points for the first time, take your family down there and let them see what it all includes.
    Secondly you can buy someone else that are selling them because of not being able to afford them anymore. You can buy whats left of the contract. You can check those listed at places like Timeshare stores etc...
    Also you can only buy what points you think you need and rent borrow buy additional points instead of having so many. I myself can do well with just 100 to 160 because I don't go during peak times.

vmkplayer is offline <3 ragdollaye
    this has nothing to do with this..but that was a lot of math
    Kingdom Keepers forever!!

DVC Mike is offline C-Ticket Holder
    The cost of annual dues has risen between 2.5-4% per year, which is at or less than the annual increase of rates for rooms at a Disney resort. The rates are definitely not excessive but are reasonable.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: BLT, BWV, BCV and VGC

MickeyspalJim is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BriBri1984 View Post
    Hey Gang!

I just had a question. I am trying to convince my Family to get in to the DVC, and I am stuck at this:

The yearly dues seem to have an increase of 20 - 30 dollars a year. It does not seem like alot, but take 10 dollars even over 20 years..Maybe DVC Mike can post the links that He has that really help with what DVC. is all about. Each DVC Home resort has a different Annual Dues points total. If You check resales, You may pick up one of the older Home resorts with the lowest dues price per pt. OKW and SSR. I believe are the 2 lowest. Since SSR has just recently sold out, AKL villas are the only resort available through Disney. Resales have resorts available that have as few as 25 points, up to others that have 1000 points. You can go to dvcresales and they will have listings of what resales are available right now and how much they are selling them for. Some of them are around $80.00 per point. I you are lucky enough to purchase points and pay it right off, Your only expense per year would be Your annual dues. I believe right now SSR. is $4.24 per point. That can be payed in a lump sum, or monthly deducted through Your checking account. another factor is how often your family will be coming each year to WDW, and what size villa You will be needing. Dvcresales also has the points charts for the resorts. You can use this to get an Idea of what You think your family will need per year, and then see what that amount of points will cost you, which can help You decide if You would rather stay off site, of use the beautiful DVC resorts. If you take over someones contract, You will, I believe, have the remaining years left on there contract. OKW was the first resort, and will have less years remaining on the contract. But recently, they offered OKW home resort owners to add years on to there contract. Just remember, once You get into DVC. You will be hooked and want to keep adding on More points. LOL. You will get the fever.

For 350 Points, an Annual Due Increase of 200 Dollars is pretty "steep" I guess you would Say..

Speaking with DVC, they attribute this to just the cost of inflation, weather, taxes ect.

I asked if there has been talk about this at Disney, and she really did not know. I said honestly I would think there would be a CAP becasue eventaully it would not be "worth" it. Yes it still would be cheaper to DVC but at the Current Price:

350 Points = 36400ish / 52 years ( I know they change the ending often ) = 674 a year

674 + 1400 ( annual Dues at 4 $, yes I know I took that low ) = 2074

And the Point cost keeps going up as well as dues

I undestand people pay it off and then dont worry, but I have to look at it every way possible ( Because I want to buy in as well!! )

I wouldnt be on here if I didnt love Disney, so in no way am I talking bad, i just have to get my things in order! The family are accountants!! haha

But I do not know, any thoughts?

We currently stay off property, and I am factoring Everything from Parking, to Dinning. I want them to Buy in.

I forgot to add, I assume this cost is becasue Disney is more expensive then the DVC, I mentioned we Stay right off property, which is Cheaper for the Villa. So the DVC is for Onsite Disney Lovers like us, correct?

Bri
    aaa
    11 Pre-DVC Trips to WDW 8-1978 through 12-2006.

Our DVC/Disney Resort trips have been:

Trip #1 (Jan 31-Feb 5-07) SSR. Studio.
    Trip #2 (May 1- 8-07) OKW. Studio.
    Trip #3 (June 26-July 1-07) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #4 (Sept 16-21-07) OKW. 1 & 2 Bdrm.
    Trip #5 (Nov 29-Dec 3-07) AKL.
    Trip #6 (Jan 26-Feb 2-08) AKL. Studio.
    Trip #7 (April 12-18-08) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #8 (May 23-27-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 9(May 27-30-08) OKW. Studio.
    Trip # 10(Sept 10-17-08) BWV. Studio
    Trip # 11 (Nov 15-21-08) VWL. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 12 (Dec 19-21-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 13(Feb 1-6-09) SSR. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 14(Feb 27-Mar 1-09) AKV Studio
    Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites
    Trip # 16(July 6th-10th-09)Pop Century
    Trip # 17(Sept 18th-24th-2009)Pop Century
    Trip #18(Oct 10th-16th 2009) ASR Music-1 nite, SSR Treehouses 5 nites
    Trip #19(Jan 20th-26th 2010) OKW-4 nites, Bch Club Studio Villa 2 nites
    Trip #20(Apr 23rd-26th 2010) Caribbean Beach Resort
    Trip #21(June 18th-25th 2010) POR 2 nites, SSR 2bdrm Villa 5 Nites.

I just wrote a long reply, and did something wrong and lost it so I would recomend asking DVC Mike for the links he has to help with dvc questions. Also You can go to dvcResales.com and a few others to get an idea of how many points You may need depending on how often You come, plus what size villa you need, and what time of year you get to come down. all these factors will give you an idea of how many points you may need and help You figure out the annual dues cost for each year. Dvc also gives you discounts on many places to eat, shop, and other activities. Also the renewal rate for DVC Members is pretty low too. Good Luck with You research!

Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites

DVC Mike is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BriBri1984 View Post

DVC won't make much sense from a financial standpoint for someone who typically stays offsite, or onsite at the value resorts. DVC makes the best sense (and cents) for people who visit WDW every year or two, and typically stay in a deluxe resort. It can make sense for those who typically stay in a moderate resort, but it will take longer to reach the break-even point.

DVC membership might make sense if you meet most or all of these criteria:

• The cost of membership and dues does not appear to present a financial hardship.
    • You vacation at Walt Disney World frequently: ideally at least once every two years.
    • You plan to continue vacationing at Disney World far enough into the future to make the membership at least break even.
    • You prefer to stay in Deluxe or DVC accommodations and/or you stay a long time (10 days or more per year). If you always stay at a Value resort, or always stay off-site, or you really spend the entire day at the parks away from your hotel, and you don't spend time at the resort itself (other than crashing at the end of the day), then DVC may not be for you.
    • You are able to plan your vacations well in advance -- ideally 7 to 11 months out. If you aren't a planner, don't even look at becoming a DVC member. If you can't plan and book your vacations 11 months in advance, and staying at a particular DVC resort is important, then don't join DVC. If you really don't care which DVC resort you end up with, then it's not an issue.
    • You stay more on weekdays and can limit Friday and Saturday night stays.
    • You can do without daily mousekeeping and room service (of course, you can pay extra and get mousekeeping as a DVC member).
    • You desire more space than a typical resort room (such as a 2 bedroom villa, with full kitchen, living room, 2 bathrooms and jacuzzi suite, and even a washer/dryer).
    • Youíre not looking at DVC as an investment or a way to make money (itís not). It is a decision to prepay, at today's rates, the next several decades of Disney trips.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: BLT, BWV, BCV and VGC

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    • Youíre not looking at DVC as an investment or a way to make money (itís not). It is a decision to prepay, at today's rates, the next several decades of Disney trips.
    This is the point I've been trying to get people to understand since buying in. I guess many people buy Timeshares as investments
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Think of it like a really nice car. One that You would like to keep for a really long time. You make the initial investment, then You pay for upkeep each year. Gas, WOW. Oil, filters, You get the idea, but the bottom line is, You have something great You enjoy each time You go for a ride. With DVC, You make the investment of paying for the points, but after that, You pay a yearly amount for dues, like everything else, goes up, but say You have 400 points, and stay at OKW in value season, sunday to thursday for 40 points a trip, that's 10 trips a year for the cost of keeping up Your annual dues. I know this is not the greatest example, but paying yearly dues for such great resort stays to Me and over 100,000 or more others seems well worth the investment. Everyone has to know how they need to spend there money, and how often they can come down to WDW, and if they can afford the travel expenses getting there. Many can come up with lots of reasons that it is not good, and the same amount can come up with reasons for doing it. Just crunch the numbers with the family and see how often you really get to come. If you only come once in a blue moon, I guess it is not for You. There are a lot of hidden reasons that make it somewhat better than saving money and staying offsite or in a disney value resort, but there are always two sides to each argument. You need to see where Your family stands. Good luck.

Even if the dues go up 20 cents a point, it is well worth the extra $80 a year I would have to pay with My 400 points. Once You become a member, You will never be sorry!

toyz33 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I agree, once you become a member you won't be sorry and wished you had done it sooner.