Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Okw in the Vacation Planning forums; I have a reservation for 1/5/09 thru 1/09/09 and was wondering whats a good place to stay there in a Studio?? Is it like Saratoga and has different buildings?? Which ...
    Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder

Okw

I have a reservation for 1/5/09 thru 1/09/09 and was wondering whats a good place to stay there in a Studio?? Is it like Saratoga and has different buildings?? Which one is the best far as bus stop and food court as well as pool?? Are the rooms comparable to Saratoga?? Our room was extremely quiet and was a little of a hike to the pool. Not necessary to be near the pool, just like to have a little quiet and near a bus stop. How many stops is there on the bus route??

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    We like building 11. It's close to the main building and the pool. The bus stops are a challenge though, at least coming into the resort. It's one of the last stops (building 11). So we just got off at an earlier stop and walked.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Here's a map of OKW:
    http://www.kingdom-travel.com/Walt_D...Resort_Map.pdf

We've stayed in buildings 14 and 62 and would recommend them or the buildings right adjacent to them as they aren't too far from the bus stop nor the hospitality house and main pool.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Thanks for the map MandaBella. We used the bus stop by building 26. It was easier to walk then wait for the bus to make the long trek. We only stayed once, but I really like this place.
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

Quote Originally Posted by Disney05 View Post
    Thanks for the map MandaBella. We used the bus stop by building 26. It was easier to walk then wait for the bus to make the long trek. We only stayed once, but I really like this place.
    I think I'm going to try bldg 26..looks like its in a good location to everything. Anyone ever use the gym here?? Will I be able to pool hop to BCV since I'm going to do the DVC thing?

DVC Mike is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmntrans View Post
    Will I be able to pool hop to BCV since I'm going to do the DVC thing?
    DVC members cannot pool hop to either SAB at BC/YC or Uzima pool at AKL/AKV.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: BLT, BWV, BCV and VGC

I believe you have to show ID at the BC pool to prove you are staying there, correct Mike?

Quote Originally Posted by Disney05 View Post
    I believe you have to show ID at the BC pool to prove you are staying there, correct Mike?
    Yes, they will usually (although not always) check your KTTW card to verify that you are staying at BC/YC/BCV before allowing you to use SAB.

Well I guess where next trip where I'll try to stay with the kids then.
    Mike did you get the pm message I sent asking what is DEVELOPER POINTS ?
    I wound up not renting those because another had a bunch I rented. Also where's the logic in a point at OKW being a home DVC being less value than Saratoga , etc..? A person pays lees for points as well as pays less for dues, but has to use more points for a newer DVC property. Then if a Member with home resort say Saratoga or better has to use OKW then his points are being used for a less property but still paying maintenace on Saratoga. I'm thinking about buying 50 to 60 points just to have but its so confusing.

Mike did you get the pm message I sent asking what is DEVELOPER POINTS ?
    No, I didn't.

Also where's the logic in a point at OKW being a home DVC being less value than Saratoga , etc..? A person pays lees for points as well as pays less for dues, but has to use more points for a newer DVC property.
    The overall number of points at a DVC resort is determined at the beginning of each resort. When DVC first began, OKW was the first resort and they learned a lot. OKW has larger rooms than the other resorts and the number of points required to book a room was less than most resorts today.

Since I can always book at the 11-month window and where I stay is important to me, I bought at the resort(s) I wanted to stay at. For those that can't take advantage of the 11-mo booking window, they should buy where the overall cost is less.

When people look to buy into DVC, they consider a wide range of things when deciding which resort to buy into. This includes:

• Purchase price of points
    • Annual maintenance fees
    • Point Chart
    • Years remaining on contract
    • Theme/D้cor of the Resort
    • Room size
    • Room d้cor and amenities
    • Proximity to a particular theme park or entertainment area
    • Pools, Community Hall and full range of recreation opportunities
    • Range of dining options (onsite and nearby) and room service
    • Transportation options
    • Types of accommodations (GV? Value? Concierge?)
    • Views available
    • Hotel or Condo/townhouse resort style
    • Destination resort or not
    • Self-park/valet parking options
    • In the middle of the action or a quiet secluded spot
    • Size of the resort

Everyone’s personal tastes and individual preferences are different. Some may value certain of the above items more than others or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    Yes, they will usually (although not always) check your KTTW card to verify that you are staying at BC/YC/BCV before allowing you to use SAB.
    That's what I thought. We're staying at the BCV for the first time this October.

Mike,
    Thanks for the input. But you bought up another question. Say I go twice a year here on out and buy 50 or 60 points @ OKW, If I wanted to stay say @ BCV shoould I do the same and not just OKW points because I know thats also where I want to stay?? Does the person who owns points at a particular DVC has first choice as to that DVC's reservations??

Mike,
    Thanks for the input. But you bought up another question. Say I go twice a year here on out and buy 50 or 60 points @ OKW, If I wanted to stay say @ BCV shoould I do the same and not just OKW points because I know thats also where I want to stay?? Does the person who owns points at a particular DVC has first choice as to that DVC's reservations??
    If you own points at a particular DVC resort, you can make reservations up to 11 months in advance. Owners of other DVC resorts can only make reservations up to 7 months in advance at resorts other than one they own at.

That's one reason why I own at four resorts -- so I can make reservations any time I want at those four. When the 7-month window opens up at a resort, all DVC members can call and try to book it.

SSR and OKW are pretty easy to get reservations at, due to their large size. Thus, IMO, there is no real advantage to owning there, unless you can't book at the 11-month mark or really just prefer SSR and OKW, or you really want the lowest cost option.

MickeyspalJim is offline Fastpass Holder
    We once stayed in Building 19, and We were just around the corner from a quiet pool, and just across the street from the bus stop. Walking to the front desk only took a few mins. as well. I think that was millers crossing, or millers road crossing section. Have fun there. The only difference between OKW and SSR.as well as AKL that I see is the rooms at OKW are larger and they Have 2 beds in the studios , Where SSR. and AKL Have a bed and a couchbed. Depending on How many people are staying with You, or how many seperate sleeping spots You need, they both have there pluses and Minus's. We love having 2 seperate beds, but I also Like having a couch to sit on to watch tv at night, being that We go to WDW often. It was great one year at superbowl time having Dominos deliver Pizza and soda to our room and having the living room feeling with the couch and coffee table.
    Last edited by MickeyspalJim; 08-19-2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Missed AKL in the post.
    11 Pre-DVC Trips to WDW 8-1978 through 12-2006.

Our DVC/Disney Resort trips have been:

Trip #1 (Jan 31-Feb 5-07) SSR. Studio.
    Trip #2 (May 1- 8-07) OKW. Studio.
    Trip #3 (June 26-July 1-07) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #4 (Sept 16-21-07) OKW. 1 & 2 Bdrm.
    Trip #5 (Nov 29-Dec 3-07) AKL.
    Trip #6 (Jan 26-Feb 2-08) AKL. Studio.
    Trip #7 (April 12-18-08) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #8 (May 23-27-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 9(May 27-30-08) OKW. Studio.
    Trip # 10(Sept 10-17-08) BWV. Studio
    Trip # 11 (Nov 15-21-08) VWL. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 12 (Dec 19-21-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 13(Feb 1-6-09) SSR. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 14(Feb 27-Mar 1-09) AKV Studio
    Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites
    Trip # 16(July 6th-10th-09)Pop Century
    Trip # 17(Sept 18th-24th-2009)Pop Century
    Trip #18(Oct 10th-16th 2009) ASR Music-1 nite, SSR Treehouses 5 nites
    Trip #19(Jan 20th-26th 2010) OKW-4 nites, Bch Club Studio Villa 2 nites
    Trip #20(Apr 23rd-26th 2010) Caribbean Beach Resort
    Trip #21(June 18th-25th 2010) POR 2 nites, SSR 2bdrm Villa 5 Nites.

Can we pool hop to Caribbean resort to the new pool or is this off limits too??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast