Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss DVC points ??? in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi, we are trying to decide whether or not the DVC is for us. We have watched the DVD from Disney, seen the Travel Channel's hour-long show called "Disney's Best ...
    DTSZ is offline B-Ticket Holder

DVC points ???

Hi, we are trying to decide whether or not the DVC is for us. We have watched the DVD from Disney, seen the Travel Channel's hour-long show called "Disney's Best Kept Secret", and have read through all of your forums on this website.

We are still wondering how many points we would need!

So, knowing that everyone's points vary depending on when you bought in and what time of year you vacation, etc., roughly, how many points do you need to go on a Disney Cruise, or say, the trip to Africa or Costa Rica?

Any help would be wonderful, thanks so much!!
    DTSZ

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    One rule for DVC points is if you are not using them to stay at DVC Resorts than you are not getting the best value for your points. You would be better off paying for a Disney Cruise, a trip to Africa, or Costa Rica than using DVC points. With all that said they are great to use when staying at a DVC Resort. Anyone else agree??
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Maestro034,

I agree. The only time I would use DVC points to pay for something other than stays in DVC resorts would be if I was going to lose the points if I didn't use them. That's because the cost per point value of using them in non-DVC resorts is outrageously high.

I actually calculated the cost value of my points that I used to stay at Disneyland's Paradise Pier Resort to what I would've payed rack rate to stay at Grand Californian and it would've been cheaper to pay out-of-pocket at Grand Californian.

But, those points were going to go away if I didn't use them (Developer Points). Also, the point cost to stay at Disneyland Hotels is much more reasonable than WDW Hotels because Disneyland doesn't have a DVC resort (at least not until the ones at the Grand Californian open up)
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Thanks for the quick replies! So, I really shouldn't add the "500 additional destinations" into consideration when deciding DVC or not?

Sorry to be a pain, but I just want to be sure!
    DTSZ

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Quote Originally Posted by DTSZ View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies! So, I really shouldn't add the "500 additional destinations" into consideration when deciding DVC or not?

Sorry to be a pain, but I just want to be sure!
    Just noticed that no one followed up...

I would not consider it as a factor.

As already stated, the non-DVC options aren't really cost-effective at all. The Interval International trades aren't bad, but I can understand they can be hard to get and are for limited locations.

Other locations, like non-DVC Disney resorts, Concierge Collection, etc. can cost a lot of points per day. You could get 2BRs at a DVC resort for a single night stay in a standard studio room at one of the Deluxes...yet people talk all the time about buying enough points to stay at them because that's the only place they'll stay...

AND those point schedules are subject to change, negotiated every year, so there is no guarantee that it will even be an option the next year.

Points costs for Disneyland resorts isn't so bad, given the lack of DVC accomodations there - but when the GCVs open (as few rooms as it is), that could change.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Thanks, I really appreciate it!
    DTSZ