Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Points to book home resort in the Vacation Planning forums; I've never been able to find an answer to this question. Maybe I'm just being dense. If you have points at multiple resorts, you have multiple home resorts, right? Can ...
    mritty is offline Fastpass Holder

Points to book home resort

I've never been able to find an answer to this question. Maybe I'm just being dense. If you have points at multiple resorts, you have multiple home resorts, right? Can you book those resorts at 11 months out using *all* your points, or just the ones for that resort?

For example, let's say I own 100 points at Saratoga Springs and another 100 points at Animal Kingdom Villas. Can I book all 200 points for a room at either SS or AKV 11 months out? Or could I only use 100 points for either of them 11 months out, and have to wait for 7 months if I wanted to use all 200 at one resort?

Thanks!

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Mritty,

I explicitly asked my guide this question while investigating whether or not to buy into Bay Lake Tower.

Let's use this as an example,

If you had 160 points at BLT and 220 at SSR for a total of 380 points and want to book a resort. You have the option to book at either resort 11 months out.

But let's say you wanted to book at BLT in the 11 month window and you needed 220 points to stay there. You can only use your BLT points. So, since you only have 110, you'll need to borrow your next years points to make it happen.

So when the next year rolls around, you'll have your 220 SSR points, but have no BLT points to use.

If you want to use all 380 points you'll have to be within the 7 month window
    Yes, it's confusing
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thanks! That makes sense, actually. Because if you were allowed to use all of your points for any resort at which you own points at the 11-month window, I imagine everyone would instantly buy 1 point at every single DVC resort, thus completely negating the 7-month window....

DVCByResale is offline A-Ticket holder
    mritty,

Do not feel bad... I am asked this question at least once a week. Harra is absolutely correct in that only the related home resort points can be used 11 months in advance.

I encourage people to book the weekday points (these days tend to sell out first) of their trip during the 11 month window and then fill in the weekend days at the 7 month window with the other resort points.

Or, as suggested, use the 11 month window every other year through banking and borrowing at each property.

Hope that clarifies things a bit for you!

Shontell
    Shontell Crawford
    Lic. Real Estate Broker

DVC By Resale
    1-800-844-4099
    shontell@dvcbyresale.com