Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Disney Vacation Club in the Vacation Planning forums; I've thinking about investing in the Disney Vacation Club. Any suggestions?...
    Ayhab is offline D-Ticket Holder

Disney Vacation Club

I've thinking about investing in the Disney Vacation Club. Any suggestions?
    Ayhab the Arab
    It's amazing to think that this all started with one little mouse.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder
    I guess it depends on how much you are willing to spend. You could opt for the most recent addition at the Contemporary, or look for a deal on DVCbyResale.com. Another less expensive option would be to purchase points at an offsite resort like Hilton Head, then use those points at WDW. Of course since you wouldn't ahve a home resort at WDW, you could not book reservations as early, so you'll need to balance the offsite option with the time of year you intned to use your points. Happy shopping.

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayhab View Post
    I've thinking about investing in the Disney Vacation Club. Any suggestions?
    I think the word "investing" is misleading. DVC is a way of locking in relatively fixed costs of resort accommodations for many years by prepaying a lump sum now.

So what's the question you're asking? Suggestions for what? How to buy? Where to buy? Etc?

If you can describe your situation (married? children? ages of children? favorite parks? frequesncy of WDW visits?) we can provide better advice.
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

toyz33 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I would recommend buying into DVC sooner than later. The longer you wait the the higher the points will cost. If we could do it all over again we would have become a member years ago instead of waiting. By waiting the price per point went up $8.00.

J&J
    J&J is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: Disney Vacation Club

do not over buy points buy only what you need. remember there is also a monthly fee when you own for ins and taxes.
    J&J

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by Granny View Post
    I think the word "investing" is misleading. DVC is a way of locking in relatively fixed costs of resort accommodations for many years by prepaying a lump sum now...
    Totally agree. Although it is an asset, there is an expiration which means the asset will depreciate over time.

Quote Originally Posted by J&J View Post
    do not over buy points buy only what you need. remember there is also a monthly fee when you own for ins and taxes.
    This can actually be a problem, especially given the recent points reallocation at all resorts for 2010.

You need to understand that Disney can reallocate the points periodically - make it more points for certain days, etc. - so long as the total number of points for the resort for the year is a constant. So you might figure on buying enough points for a 5 day "weekday" stay during Value season every year, only to have the points change and you can no afford to do it the same way.

DVC points, banking and borrowing, and home resort advantage can be confusing to a lot of people as well. Some time ago I put together a web page that might help there as well.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

NorweJenNY is offline Fastpass Holder

Remember that the overall cost of DVC membership is greatly determined by annual maintenance fees... so buying a cheaper initial cost per point property like Vero Beach might not actually be the best savings because of higher MFs, the price you pay per point per year. Do your research, and consider resale options vs. direct with current incentives offered through Disney. Unless you plan on generally traveling during off-peak times, you should probably stick with picking a home resort where you can see yourself staying a good chunk of time throughout the next 40 years, or however long.
    Jenny

April 1996 - Off Property
    December 2001-January 2002 - Honeymoon - CBR
    April 2003 - Off Property
    July 2004 - OKW
    July 2006 - Off Property
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - OKW
    June 2008 - SSR
    July 2009 - POR & WL
    September/October 2009 - ASMo

Next Trip - December 2009 - POFQ & VWL