Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Totally confused in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi All~ I think I posted this originally in the wrong place so here it is again. Hi All~ I am currently in the process of planning our second Disney ...
    aprilhendrix9 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Totally confused

Hi All~
    I think I posted this originally in the wrong place so here it is again.

Hi All~
    I am currently in the process of planning our second Disney trip. We went last year and would like to go again this year. I am trying to determine if looking into the DVC would benefit my family. We stayed at the Polynesian last year with the free dining plan and I believe it was around $3500. We are probably looking somewhere in that ballpark again this year. With those 2 years, obviously, we are $7,000 and I believe we will return again and again.
    I went on the dvcbyresale.com site and see several "affordable" options but I don't really understand what I am looking at. Could you help? For instance:

1. What is meant by "60 points available now" or "50 points coming on 12.1.09 but borrow them now"

2. Also, with the pricing to the side does this mean if we were to pay this price then we would then be the "owner" of this property or does it mean we are just using it for this year?

3. I guess, could you break this down for me an explain it:

Old Key West All 50 points coming on 12.1.09 or borrow them now!! $4,250

What exactly do I get if I buy the above?

Thank you so much and I apologize for my ignorance
    This September!! . . . 2010-6 days-Animal Kingdom
    1994-1 day-Mgic Kingdom-Off Site
    1995-1 day-Magic Kingdom-Off Site
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

M5ward is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Go to dvcnews.com and click DVC for Beginners. This might answer some of your questions. When we bought into the Vacation Club, we went directly through Disney. It avoided any miscommunication. We have enough points so that we can go down twice a year taking one of our children and their family each time. We figure that being members will pretty much pay for itself by 2011 at the rate we're going.
    Michele
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on until Morning!
    šoš * ~ ** ~ * šoš

November, 1981 (CR), November, 1983 (CR), December, 1994 (off-site),January, 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), January, 2007 (SSR), November, 2007 (SSR), February. 2008 (BWV), October, 2008 (OKW), January, 2009 (BWV)

Thanks! I did go to the dvcnews.com and the beginners section and it was very helpful.

Another question I have, is when you become a member and you are planning on your trips, do you still have to purchase park tickets?
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

M5ward is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Yes, you still have to buy park tickets. Since we go down twice a year for at least a week each time, we buy annual passes (which you get discounted as DVC members.) DVC members also get some discounts as certain restaurants (usually for lunch.) We also get some discounts as annual passholders.
    When my daughter and her family went with us in January, she got her tickets from Undercover Tourist (I think) and saved a few dollars.
    Michele
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on until Morning!
    šoš * ~ ** ~ * šoš

November, 1981 (CR), November, 1983 (CR), December, 1994 (off-site),January, 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), January, 2007 (SSR), November, 2007 (SSR), February. 2008 (BWV), October, 2008 (OKW), January, 2009 (BWV)

DVC Mike is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by aprilhendrix9 View Post
    1. What is meant by "60 points available now" or "50 points coming on 12.1.09 but borrow them now"

2. Also, with the pricing to the side does this mean if we were to pay this price then we would then be the "owner" of this property or does it mean we are just using it for this year?

3. I guess, could you break this down for me an explain it:

Old Key West All 50 points coming on 12.1.09 or borrow them now!! $4,250
    The seller is offering a 50-point contract at OKW. You would own this contract and get 50 points each year to make a reservation. Or, by banking and borrowing those points, you could take a 100-point vacation every other year or a 150-point vacation every 3 years.

The contract has a December Use Year, and it is "stripped" of the points for the current use year. You wouldn't get your first set of 50 points until Dec 1, 2009.

The $4,250 price is the asking price. It does not include closing costs or other fees.

I would suggest contacting DVC and have them send you some information.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: BLT, BWV, BCV and VGC

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    An interesting note about OKW contracts up for sale - DVC offered a contract extension for OKW owners to extend their contracts from 2042 to 2057(I think) for an additional charge. If the seller isn't mentioning when the contract expires, it probably expires in 2042. That might make a difference to you vs. the price.

Also, don't forget that when purchasing resale, DVC has Right Of First Refusal (ROFR), where it can choose to purchase the contract for the agreed price INSTEAD of you, so even though you have an agreement, DVC can snatch it instead. They usually do this if they think the value of the points are too low and can resell it themselves for more.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Eric is offline A-Ticket holder
    Way back in September of 2007 we devoted a show to the ins & outs of the DVC. I think this would make for good listening for DVC beginners, as we tried to be thorough. (Of course, some info will be outdated, but the basics are there.)

Take a listen: http://mouseguest.com/weekly/mgw-114-09302007.mp3
    Eric,
    co-host, Mouse Guest Weekly podcast
    MouseGuest.com

Thanks for all of the advice and thanks for posting the video.
    2008-5 days-Polynesian