Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss To DVC or not to DVC? in the Vacation Planning forums; My husband and I are trying to figure out if it is worth joining the DVC or not? We really do not know alot about it. I would like to ...
    heatherhy01 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Exclamation To DVC or not to DVC?

My husband and I are trying to figure out if it is worth joining the DVC or not? We really do not know alot about it. I would like to hear anyone's opinion on what they think? Thank You!
    P.S. and maybe an explanation on how it works?

"When people laugh at Mickey Mouse, it's because he's so human; and that is the secret of his popularity."
    -Walt Disney

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I would suggest a couple of things to get you going. There are some nice sites with information about DVC. Here are a couple of good ones:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/faq.shtml

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/dvc.htm

Go ahead and digest them, and let us know if you have specific questions.

I will say that in general, DVC makes sense if the following apply:

1. You intend to go to WDW at least every other year for tne next 37-49 years.

2. You normally stay on-site at WDW, and stay in at least the Moderate accomodation level.

3. You think that the additional amenities of a kitchen, or suite, is worth it.

4. You are able to plan your vacations a little in advance. It works best if you can plan 11 months in advance, and it is helpful to be able to plan at least 7 months in advance.

There are other aspects, but the key things to know is that this is not a traditional timeshare, with a particular week in a particular accommodation. Think of it more as an annual allotment of "Monopoly Points", which you can then "spend" on various size accommodations at various times of the year at various resorts. Flexibility is the key word in the DVC parlance.

There are many, many details to this, so you are wise to look into it even before taking a tour with a DVC guide (salesperson) on site.

DVC is definitely not for everyone, but for us it has been very worthwhile. We are staying in luxury accommodations on Disney property for longer periods than we could ever have afforded otherwise.

We no longer tour the parks "commando style" since we know we will be coming back soon, and if we miss something on this trip there will be another one in a year.

All in all, it is an investment in upgrading the vacation experience. I cannot say that it saves us money, since without it we just wouldn't have gone to WDW nearly as often. Others will say that it saves them money since they use the smallest accommodations (studios) and don't stay on weekends when the "point cost" is highest.

Good luck in your research, and ask lots of questions!
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

Thanks GRANNY for your info, I will research really well before I jump into things. We just wanted some people's opinions on what they have found by being DVC members.

"When people laugh at Mickey Mouse, it's because he's so human; and that is the secret of his popularity."
    -Walt Disney

DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    I agree with Granny. I think she laid out all of the things that one must consider before getting involved. It can be a money-saving measure if you already spend money. If you are accustomed to going often and staying in above-average Disney resorts, you can save some money.

Another thing to consider is the size of your family. We have 6 in ours and figured that it just wouldn't work out for us. We would spend our points much quicker than most.

Another great plus to also consider is the new discount for Annual Passes. Now all DVC members qualify for discounted Annual Passes.

You are taking the right steps. Ask the questions, do the research, do the math, then make a decision.

Good Luck!!
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyonaDime
    I agree with Granny. I think she laid out...
    psssttt... Granny is a Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyonaDime
    Another thing to consider is the size of your family. We have 6 in ours and figured that it just wouldn't work out for us. We would spend our points much quicker than most.
    Funny I would think that the availability of multiple bedrooms and a kitchen would be attractive to a larger family.

We just recently bought into DVC. We are going "Home" for the first time in June/July. We bought 190 points at OKW (Resale contract) and plan on going to WDW ever other year. We have stayed in moderates in the past.

We are a family of four. Since we have a girl and a boy, in the past we have had hotel arrangements that the I sleep with my DD and DH with DS.

We are looking forward to having two bedrooms and a kitchen for beverages and breakfast.

Another attractive thing for me was that the rooms are essentially paid for for the next 37 years. This way we only need to budget for airfare, tickets and food.

After you check the sites Granny provided, feel free to ask any questions you might have here.

Good Luck!
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBabe
    psssttt... Granny is a Guy.
    Thanks for the tip. Oops

The thought of having two bedrooms and such is appealing to us since we do have a big family, but the cost is still too high. Since we will need the bigger rooms, we would need to buy twice the number of points. We also tend to go several times a year and it is cheaper for us to just rent a full 3 or 4 bedroom house right outside the gates. It really just comes down to one's personal preference and situation. I think if someone is interested in buying a timeshare and they go to Disney World on a regular basis, they should definitely check it out.

We were going back and forth about whether to join or not, we ultimately did the math and decided against it. I liked the idea too about everything being paid for in advance, but then I saw the yearly maintenance fees. I can't remember the specifics, but I think they were around $500 every year for every 150 points. I could be wrong about the specific cost, but I remember it was enough to tip the scales.

I think everyone should check it out and make an informed decision. I have talked to so many people who love it and never regret doing it.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherhy01
    We just wanted some people's opinions on what they have found by being DVC members.
    As for describing the benefits of DVC for us, I've already written about how it makes our vacations at WDW much more leisurely. When we get home from WDW, we no longer feel like we need a vacation to rest up!

The discounts are handy, but the best one is the discount on the Annual Passes. It is a significant discount (about 25%). Basically, the AP break even on number of days in the parks is about 6. So it is now applicable for almost every DVC member, especially if you time two annual trips within a twelve month period.

With the AP passes, you get even better discounts. One of the key discounts now available is the Disney Dining Experience, good for 20% discount at many WDW restaurants for only $50 a year.

So DVC membership does have some financial benefits. But for us, the main benefit is a higher quality of family vacation that we could have otherwise afforded. It is a wonderful luxury.
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Chris..

A house? I would have never thought of that, you are good! I need to go over and check your new web site.

As both you and Granny have stated it is a personal choice that should be researched before going into it.

OKW requires less points and has the largest rooms. It also has the lowest maintenance fees of the WDW DVC Resorts. Those are some of the reasons we chose OKW. It is important to our vacation to be onsite and that is another factor that went into our choice.

I'll let you all know how we liked it when we return in July.

~ Valerie
    *)
    ..*) .*)

:mickey: Thank You Mickeybabe! I would loike to hear your thoughts when you return from your trip.

Also, thanks to everyone else who took time to give advice, it is appreciated.

-Walt Disney

It will be my pleasure Heather.

I had been thinking of this DVC purchase for a couple of years and when we finally took the plunge we were/are very excited.

81 Days!
    ~ Valerie
    *)
    ..*) .*)

snuggie is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I joined DVC oct 2003--I do not regret that decision--I own 175 points at SSR.

I have found the studios to be great for us--we have three in our family--it is in the talks of doing an add-on later this year.

These are my pics from last June at SSR:

http://homepage.mac.com/snuggie/

last oct--OKW

this year VWL/BCV----will have pics and reports upon return

If you have any questions just ask!!
    Last edited by snuggie; 04-08-2005 at 11:46 PM.

athenna is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Boston,SSR, AKLV, Will's ship, Balian's castle
    I just recently became a member, also. I own 150 points at SSR and will be making my 1st trip ''home'' in just 8 days.
    I am really looking forward to it. I know buying into DVC was the right thing for me. I plan on doing 2 trips a year w/my points and staying in studios is fine for me, it's all I need right now.

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    We signed our papers in Sept. 2003 after our first visit together in May of 2003. We couldn't be happier. I would have never gotten to go to Disney like I have since we joined the DVC program. We have taken my sister and her family once and are planning to take them again in June of 2006, and this time with our mom going. This October we are taking my father-in-law who has never been to Florida, although he has been to Disneyland at a dental convention. We plan to continue this every other year is one side of our family or another. We bought into the Beach and Yacht Club and LOVE IT. We want to buy into Saratoga Springs in the future. We like being able to have breakfast in our rooms and a few snack items for when we return in the evenings. We love the location of the B&YC, but Saratoga Springs was nice as well. We also find it worth it being able to trade points for other places in the US or around the world, but I don't think I can even get bored with Disney World so it would be hard for me to give up anytime there. I really like knowing I have a place to go on vacation to escape reality for a while. I still feel like being a DVC owner for the rest of my life keeps the magic alive and the dreams flowing! I get a piece of the magic for a little bit of time each year and I get to share it with others whom I love with all my heart and who couldn't afford to go otherwise.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    It's definately worth it because they have other locations you can go to all over the World, not just WDW. I would say definately join because it is a great experience and can make the whole trip planning process easier. Also its great to have a washer and a dryer in a lot of the rooms. :-) It makes packing a breeze.

Also if you decide you don't want it, you'll be able to find a buyer for exactly what you paid for it. My parents even made a small profit when they sold theirs.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives